Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 2 editors quit DetNews « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just two months after coming from The Denver Post, Detroit News editor-publisher Jonathan Wolman has 2 key openings:

* Sue Burzynski resigned Monday after 2 1/2 years as managing editor to accept a faculty position at MSU, her alma mater. She had been at The News since '86. (Not coincidentally, her new boss already planned to have several managing editors oversee different sections.)

* Biz ed Mark Truby next month joins Ford's PR staff, as future colleagues there learned Monday in an e-mail excerpted here:
x
quote:

I am delighted to announce that Mark Truby, Business and Project Editor at The Detroit News, is joining the Ford Motor Company Communications team as Director of Global Corporate News. Mark will join our team in August and report to Ray Day, Executive Director, Global Corporate Communications. Reporting to Mark will be Tom Hoyt, Manager, Global News; and Jennifer Moore, Manager, Corporate and Sustainability Communications.

I know many of you have worked with Mark during the years and have come to regard him as a consummate professional, who enjoys the respect of other journalists and the business leaders he covers. He has earned a reputation as a team player and a team builder, which are essential qualities in Ford's "working together" cultural revolution. I have told Mark that, in joining Ford, he will have an opportunity to work with the most professional and supportive group of colleagues he is ever likely to encounter. Mark also has made it clear to Ray and to me that he looks forward to learning from everyone at Ford and contributing broadly as our team continues to implement our plan and refocus our efforts to rebuild Ford's reputation.

Mark comes to Ford with a wealth of knowledge about our company and our business, having covered us for the past seven years. Under Mark's leadership, The Detroit News has won numerous state and national awards, including the Gerald R. Loeb Award, the nation's top award for business journalism, and the International Golden Wheel for outstanding automotive coverage. In addition, The Detroit News' business section this year was named one of the top three in the nation in its circulation category by The Society of American Business Editors and Writers. Before joining The Detroit News, Mark worked as reporter for USA Today and The Herald-Dispatch of Huntington, West Virginia. Mark and his wife, Kathleen, live in Ferndale, Mich., with their three sons.

[ snipped 3 paragraphs on "an exciting time to be in Ford Communications." ]

Charlie Holleran
VP & Chief Communications Officer
Ford Motor Company

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Very interesting....

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what happened to jon pepper??

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares?

Realitycheck

Post Number: 444
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because 'G.P.' asks and one or two others also may care:

Jon Pepper is in his 3rd year as Ford's director of global corporate communications for public affairs -- a higher-level post than those held by Truby and his boss, who handle media relations.

Pepper's blue oval bio says he "is responsible for communications involving reputation issues, such as financial performance, safety, environment and litigation. He also oversees internal communications, communication services and a number of Web sites serving employees, retirees, Public Affairs staff, the news media and the general public.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else get the feeling that paper is not long for this world?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So were these editors "encouraged" to leave or did they "object" to the new sheriff in town?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newspaper publishing is hardly a growth industry, even when considering a newspaper adding an online edition. At some point, personnel cuts are inevitable. Any editor should have other options ready for that probability.

Also, there is a super glut of journalism majors graduating every year, and their salaries are typically at the dead bottom of the pay scale for all college degrees/majors. A journalism grad will generally expect to make less than 1/2 of what an engineering grad fresh out of college would make--assuming that jobs even exist for them. Many sell insurance afterwards...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone with a journalism career will tell you that they do it for the love of the game, not money.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon Pepper left Ford about two months ago, is in NY working for an oil company.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update, Pffft! Wonder how long Ford will keep his bio online.
quote:

. . . working for an oil company.

Snake oil?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes E Hemingway I think that newspapers are in their dying days. I read the paper for a long time growing up but for at least the last two years I have had no need to buy a actual newspaper unless I needed something to read. Papers are later on the news and they can be read easier online with so many mobile internet accessible devices. The papers themselves seem to be going down hill. Less news and coverage and more ads, games, and sensationalism.

Pffft

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, but where would TV and radio get its news, without newspapers?

The obituaries are, as usual, premature.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just what was that supposed to mean?

A daily newspaper would be issued only once per day. Would any broadcast news operation want to rely on that? Broadcast news has many of the same sources as do the newspapers.

During my dozen years in broadcasting during the '60s and '70s, I got stuck as a chief engineer pulling many a DJ shift, and many of these were 1-man operations. So we did rip-and-read newscasts off the AP or UPI TT machines.

Later on, UPI audio would be used for actualities and such. And still later, the news services would package entire newscasts (short of the local tags) for broadcasters. Why would a newspaper be necessary for broadcasters--even back 40 years ago?

Pffft

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio and TV have even fewer staff today than back in your day, LY. There is very little original reporting, mostly ambulance and fire chasing to get the coolest video, and then there's the I-team, investigative guys.

For the rest, they surf the newspaper websites, which are updated by the minute, and take from there.

Even the days of the three-person crew is numbered, soon it'll all be a TV reporter holding a webcam, ala WDIV's Nightcam.

Pffft

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. A daily newspaper issued once a day? That was never true. There are numerous editions, four or five for the dailies. Back in the olden time, there were even more.

That's print. Online, news is updated every few minutes.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3488
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, why would broadcasters resort to online newspapers with their own copyright restrictions when they can use their own instantaneous news sources, including the very same internet as the dying print media?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 813
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are numerous editions, four or five for the dailies. Back in the olden time, there were even more.

Not anymore, Pffft. There are usually two or three editions, but they're all at night.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3489
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Papers often had different editions primarily to account for circulation limitations. Papers are rarely trucked to their "stands" more than once daily anymore, unless they're very near their publisher's printers.

About twenty years ago, the Chicago Tribune started to contract the printer used for both Madison WI dailies for their own issues for WI, MN, IA, the UP, and the Dakotas, which were shipped by semis. Still, due to account for transportation delay, their deadlines were advanced a couple/three hours for those (once) daily editions.

Pffft

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't magically conjure up stories from "the Internet."

Reporters have to talk to people, officials, then write it up, put it in context, add statistics if necessary.

Local stories/local content comes from local reporters. The TV stations have very few. They get tips from articles in the newspapers about local happenings, then go out and shoot video of the people involved. The age-old equation.

As for copyright restrictions on newspaper websites, if a TV crew goes out and shoots video on a missing teenager they found out about from one of the dailies, who's to stop it? They got a tip from the newspaper story, then went after their own visual story. The scoop was the newspaper's, though.

My original point was, without the newspaper to point them in the direction of stories, they'd have the police scanner and not much else.

(Message edited by pffft on July 24, 2007)

Pffft

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, sorry Rawk. Nodot, one dot, two dot are all during the day.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broadcasters typically use the same (nonexclusive) stringers that also serve the print media...

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes, but the News doesn't represent all newspapers. Without the News, there is still the Freep, Crains, AP, lots of local newspapers and radio stations, web sites, wire services and press releases. For the foreseeable future, there will always be enough outlets out there for everybody to crib off.

Pffft

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freelance reporters -- is that what you mean by "stringers"? -- don't usually break news, they usually handle assignments given to them out in the boonies.

It's staff bylines on most of the breaking news.

Pffft

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current JOA runs what, 8 more years? So no time soon, Ernest. Love your Kansas City Star pieces by the way.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3491
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The term "stringer" has been around at least all my sentient life, and I'm 64. The term is still commonly used for both the print and electronic media. I had friends in VA and WI doing that during the 1960s and 1970s who carried around their 16mm motion-picture cameras and did quite well financially with breaking TV and radio news. Later, they went more modern and, eventually, went digital.

TV broadcasters still use them. I just checked the Wiki (which you probably did also...) and came up with this:
quote:

In journalism, a stringer is a freelance journalist, who is paid for each piece of published or broadcast work, rather than receiving a regular salary. They are heavily relied upon by most television news organizations. They mostly specialize in breaking news. In American newspapers the word carries a connotation of no-nonsense professionalism as compared to "freelancer," a term more likely to be used by newcomers to the business. The etymology of the word is uncertain. Newspapers once paid stringers per inch of printed text they generated, and one theory says the length of this text was measured against a string. More likely is the theory given in the Oxford English Dictionary: that a stringer is a person who strings words together.

Pffft

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my point, sort of ...not trying to make you feel old -- we'll all get there -- but I haven't heard the term "stringer" in a long time ...

Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 814
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, sorry Rawk. Nodot, one dot, two dot are all during the day.

Um, sorry, Pffft, I work at the Free Press. As I type at the office, we just put the one-dot to bed (10:20 p.m.) and the two-dot is done at 12:30 a.m. The no-dot is done at 8:30. The only paper that has deadlines during the day are afternoon papers. There aren't many more of those left.

Pffft

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s. Wiki? Don't do Wikipedia. A cesspool of errors and misinformation. Good journalism teachers and editors warn the young ones away from Wikipedia.

Pffft

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We aren't disagreeing then Rawk, we misunderstood each other. The no dot, one dot etc. come out "all during the day" as I wrote.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3492
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many journalism teachers are those who realize that they can make more money teaching than doing...

I edit Wiki articles all the time but mostly for extant copyediting errors. Today's writers seem not to know their craft well, and that includes those adding their content to the Wiki, too.

Professional groups maintain their (read-only for most folks) Wikis. I have manager/author access on a couple for technical-editing purposes.

Pffft

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nodot = home delivery, then a good newsbox will have the one dot later in the morning, and with any luck, the two dot in the early afternoon.

Pffft

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a journo teacher, so I don't take offense when they're jabbed, but they make squat in terms of dough, less than journalists.

Among writers, Wikipedia is not taken seriously as a research tool. Anyone who relies on it might get good information 70% of the time, then there's that 30% of flummery when you least expect it.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 816
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is 8:15 p.m., 10:20 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. "all during the day"? The no-dot goes to the U.P., West Michigan, Gaylord, places like that. The one-dot goes to Port Huron-ish places. The two-dot is metro. They all arrive about the same time.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The current JOA runs what, 8 more years? So no time soon

I wouldn't put too much faith into the JOA. At the end of the day, the News is still a business. Once its business model loses enough money that it reaches the shutdown point, there will be some radical changes over there.

BTW, Hemingway didn't care for his Kansas City Star stories. In fact, he left instructions that they not be published at least until after he died.

Pffft

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rawk,
I said the no dot, etc. comes out during the day, not that the deadline is during the day.
The deadlines are at 8, 10, 12ish at night.

That's why reviews and late sports scores don't make the nodot.

Pffft

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The JOA props up both papers, so nothing big will happen to either til after it expires.

EH's Star stuff was great, whether he liked it or not. The template for all his later stuff.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2557
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The obituaries are, as usual, premature.

I completely agree with your first statement, but the health of most newspapers is being threatened by their own decision to make their content available on the web for free. Circulation is in a nosedive, ad revenue is off and few younger news readers pay for their Free Press or News info on newsprint.

I love the free access I have online to almost every major paper, but that's a terrible business model for the papers. If they can't find a way to get paid for their internet content, they're in a death spiral.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oakland Press: the best paper in town.
Best Web site, too.

No better writer than Pat Caputo.
Reminds me a lot of Robert Creamer.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2877
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, we knew that the moment the JOA went through.

Track75, while the access is free, there are still a lot of ads throughout every page.

A jumper that I used to work with years ago commented that there wouldn't be a newspaper per se in about 20 years (this was back in the early 90's). With circulation where it's at today compared to back then, I'd say that he was pretty close to the mark.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a new study from Pew Research, a firm that studies the American Public and their interaction with the Press, Americans were asked two questions about our government and one international question. They then asked where the primary source of information was for the person. Here are the results with the most-informed people at the top.

1. Major Newspaper Websites
2. The Daily-Show/The Colbert Report
3. National Public Radio
4. News Magazines
5. News from Google, Yahoo, other portals
6. CNN
7. Daily Newspapers
8. News Blogs
9. Network Evening News
10. Fox News

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good journalism teacher would advise students to get out of the business now while they still have a chance to forge a career in a field not on its death bed.

Declining circulation in newspapers (30 percent since 1985) translates to lower ad rates and shitty stock prices. With more papers ramping up their online efforts (they have no choice), a newsroom that's gone digital will need considerably less workers. There might always be a (shrinking)market for the physical paper, but until owners can get a grip on what their identity is, I would still consider now, and the near future, a dicey time to be going into newspapers.

And as an aside, a stringer is not always someone who gets paid by the piece or is necessarily a freelancer. In my experience, stringers "worked the desk," answering calls, writing briefs and doing legwork for whoever is on the copy desk.

Pffft

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone answering calls, writing briefs etc. in a newsroom is "an employee," an editorial assistant.

Copy editors don't need anyone doing legwork :-), it's by definition a deskbound job. The freelancers aka stringers in a newsroom are 99.9% writers or photographers. Never encountered a freelance editorial assistant or copy editor. The idea kind of makes me smile though.

As for doom, it was predicted when the last JOA was announced. Still waiting.

Southofeight

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps I'm outdated then, because when I worked for one of the Detroit dailies, pre-strike, stinger was exactly my title and performing all of those tasks was a big part of my night-to-night operations. During the '80s and into the '90s I saw the same title applied to similar part-time newsroom positions. Either way, a stringer or an EA, I was still a grunt. Maybe they should've called a spade what it is.

Southofeight

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it was "stringer," not "stinger." I'm not a bee.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3820
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stringer, freelancer, underpaid chimp...

Pffft

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine a freelancer (stringer/stinger) of any kind being allowed to answer phones on behalf of the paper, in the newsroom.
But maybe there's a parallel universe I don't know about...Rawk can chime in on this.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3500
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posting twice? Why not use ALL CAPS?

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Pepper get shown the door for the not-so-smooth handling of the Mark Fields story?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NEwspaper will become Obsolete as the sites become more Internet based.

With E-Mail, IM, Internet, and the Internet-based Shipping Companies, the USPS will become obsolete over the next 50-100 years.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3508
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something today from my email--Technical Writer list group (lists.techwr-l.com):
Wikis replacing email?
quote:

The end of e-mail: discover new ways to stay in touch
Jimmy Lee Shreeve
Published: 25 July 2007

It was the 250 e-mails a day that finally sent Darren Lennard, managing director of the investment bank Dresdner Kleinwort, over the edge. At the end of a particularly bad afternoon in the City of London, he took his BlackBerry from his silk-lined pocket, saw the familiar screen full of new messages, and smashed the sleek, shiny gadget on his kitchen counter.

This is not simply a tale of CrackBerry rage. That day, two years ago, was a tipping point for a bigger issue. Back at the office, when Lennard's bosses heard of the incident, he faced no reprimand. They welcomed his outburst. E-mail, they recognised, was simply not working for the firm. What followed was an electronic revolution at Dresdner Kleinwort – against e-mail itself.

The problem with all those messages was clear. "Eighty-five per cent were totally not important to my job," Lennard says. His bank was well aware of the statistics about e-mail overload, and that too much information harms productivity. One study from Hewlett-Packard, for instance, found that workers constantly distracted by e-mail and phone calls suffer a temporary 10-point fall in their IQ – more than twice that found in studies of the impact of smoking a joint.

So Dresdner Kleinwort began searching for an alternative to e-mail, one that wouldn't be hijacked by employees asking their colleagues worldwide if whoever took Nigel's stapler could return it to his desk. The company is not alone. Many top business leaders have logged off as well, including the American investor Warren Buffett and Phones4U owner John Caudwell. The mayor of Boston, Tom Menino, is leading the cause in politics.

Whether at home or the office, all of our inboxes are overflowing. Even after spam filters have removed the obviously unnecessary pest mails, many of us are reeling under the sheer weight of new messages. In a recent poll at the IT news site Silicon.com, 33 per cent of respondents said they receive between 51 and 100 e-mails a day. In a similar poll two years ago, that figure was 23 per cent.

Invented in 1971 by the computer engineer Ray Tomlinson, e-mail now controls us, rather than us it. A recent study from AOL suggested that many people are increasingly addicted to e-mail, checking their messages while in the bathroom, at church or while driving. Researchers also report that between 10 and 50 per cent of work time is now spent using e-mail, which is having a huge impact on productivity.

Another study, cited in Gail Fann Thomas's 2006 article " Re-conceptualising E-Mail Overload" in the Journal of Business and Technical Communication, found that the average worker had 2,483 inbox messages and 858 filed ones. This is hardly surprising. Recent figures from web portal Lycos reveal that one in 10 e-mail users in Britain receives more than 200 mails every day (including spam). As Lycos spokeswoman Stephanie Sanders warns: "UK internet users are in danger of reaching overload as they struggle to deal with out-of-control inboxes."

Dresdner Kleinwort's IT gurus weren't about to let the tail wag the dog. So they alerted several workgroups in the firm about a "wiki" service called Socialtext (www.socialtext.com). Once the employees grasped its potential, it spread around the firm like wildfire. Much like Wikipedia, Socialtext allows people to set up pages for specific projects, and invite anyone to collaborate: edit text, add comments, hold discussions, and link to other documents, graphics or internet sites. In short, it removed the need to send e-mails – something that everyone at Dresdner Kleinwort agreed had only caused confusion, with all the endless conversational threads and differing versions of documents. The company went so far as to issue an edict: don't send e-mails, use the wiki. By last October, Dresdner Kleinwort had set up its own proprietary wiki system, with 5,000 pages and over 2,500 users at the company's bases worldwide. Axel Thill, the head of e-commerce at Dresdner Kleinwort, says the wiki has helped cut down his e-mail use by 75 per cent. His colleagues report similar results.

It isn't just companies that are taking advantage of new technology to overcome e-mail overload. Charlene Li, vice president at US-based Forrester Research, has had great success using Google Docs & Spreadsheets, an online office system that allows you to collaborate on documents with friends and colleagues around the world.

Li uses Google Docs in all aspects of her personal life: for example, to co-ordinate summer camp with the parents of her children's friends. All the camp options, links and registration details are contained on a spreadsheet, but instead of e-mailing it back and forth, Li simply alerts the other parents to the online Google document, and everyone can view it or comment on it in a web browser.

Li also plays the keyboard in an after-hours Forrester staff band. Rather than resort to the usual flurry of e-mails to sort out the current playlist, she created a list on Google Docs. Band members can suggest songs, learn lyrics and generally keep up to date all online. Li says Google Docs has " definitely reduced the number of e-mails I have to send around."

Courtney Gibbons, a comic artist and mathematician, used Google Docs to compile the guest list for her wedding last year. "It was extremely helpful," she says, "especially when we let our parents get involved and help fill in the information (online)."

The idea that you can be more productive without e-mail has found favour in Hollywood. Ascendant Films, the production company behind 2006's Lucky Number Slevin, starring Bruce Willis and Lucy Liu, decided that when it came to e-mail, enough was enough. To manage production and co-ordinate financing for the film, the company turned to JotSpot ( www.jot.com), a site that lets you set up your own wiki (and is now owned by Google).

"Film financing and production involves many documents, such as schedules, budgets, and contracts, that are constantly changing and evolving, " says Robert Norton, finance specialist for Ascendant. "Up until now these documents have been transmitted by e-mail or fax, causing document overload and major version-itis. The JotSpot wiki offered the only easy and affordable way to keep us all on track and working off the latest version. It truly changed and improved the way we communicate."

The internet research firm Gartner Group predicts that wikis will become mainstream collaboration tools in at least half of companies by 2009. E-mail is also threatened by another mode of communication: instant messaging, or IM. It is popularly perceived as the preserve of teenagers – many of whom now actually refer to e-mail as "snail mail", the unflattering term given postal mail when e-mail first became popular. But IM has not gone unnoticed by people looking to streamline their communications.

Dennis Yang is one such person. He works at Techdirt (www.techdirt.com), a corporate news and analysis company. Yang rarely sees his co-workers, but stays in touch with them in real time via IM. He typically has around seven conversations going at any time. It lets him work anywhere, even his grandmother's living room.

"IM affords the ability to have a real conversation, as opposed to the staccato-style conversations that e-mail threads seem to become," he says. "Studies show that people on IM at work don't waste too much time chatting with friends, and their productivity gain would outweigh any socialising."

It would be an exaggeration to say that the days of e-mail are over, and that it has been replaced by wikis and other forms of communication. But the writing is surely on the wall.

The seven rules of mailing

* Create filters to only allow e-mail from known contacts or those working on projects with you. Send the rest of the e-mails to a "later" folder.

* Archive e-mails in folders, but trash the e-mails you don't need. Be ruthless.

* Colour-code messages into categories: "important", "urgent" , "to do", "later", etc.

* Check your e-mail a maximum of three times a day. Remember: e-mail was a replacement for postal mail. You'd have checked that in the morning and dealt with it.

* Don't e-mail when you aren't clear about what you want or what you're trying say. You will only generate more messages when the recipient asks what you meant.

* Don't e-mail when you have nothing to add. Extraneous niceties only increase information overload.

* Don't e-mail when the exchange is over. Enough is enough.

The world of wiki

* Wikis are a potential solution to dealing with out-of-control levels of e-mail. You set up a page for a given project and allow friends and colleagues to collaborate on the document, which is accessed via a web browser. Rather than groups of people all e-mailing different amended versions of the document, one master "wiki" document is created, and people make updates directly. Members of the group are contacted when an update has been made. You can set one up at Google Docs (docs.google.com).

* The term "wiki" was coined in 1995 by its inventor, computer programmer Ward Cunningham, after the "wiki wiki" or "quick" shuttle buses at Honolulu airport. "I chose wiki-wiki as an alliterative substitute for 'quick' and thereby avoided naming this stuff 'quick-web'," he says. The most famous example of a wiki is the online encyclopaedia, Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.