Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 3-D tponetom. Gin & Tonic « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My recent, (the last year or two) E-mail correspondence had all but reached a dead end.
But the past few days have disrupted that demise. Lazarus was not unique. I managed to
pique the curiosity of seven dormant friends, family and one or two other odd sorts.
It seems that they all thirsted after the liquid word and were quick to voice their
preferences for same.
First I must reiterate my old refrain, that being, that I use the BCC when mailing to
multiple addresses. Exposing everyone’s address in the CC mode could result in a lot of problems
that all of us would rather not have.
That being said, I will make comments on some of the comments I received from the
comments I made in my message. My comments referred to my Doctors prescribing Gin and
Tonic to refrain my right foot from cramping. He hastened to explain that the Tonic Water
contained Quinine, which is the element that will defeat the cramps.
Most noticeably, everyone agreed, TONIC is good, especially Schwepps. Tonic has the
capability of masking the taste of cheap gin. In Tucson, 1.75 liters of Embassy gin (on sale) is
$ 8.99. Note: Good gin is not to be washed and wasted wallowing in quinine. We save the good
stuff for Martinis.
Sister Pat opined that G & T was OK but she and her mate preferred DeWars Scotch and
did not like Glenlivet. Hmm, that made me wonder if we are, in fact, branches of the same family
tree. After all, our Great-Grandfather, Francis O., who migrated to America on or about 1855,
died at the age of 45. His glorious death, the one that all true Irishmen aspire to, was due to
cirrhosis of the liver.
Digression: A long time friend from the north country died a few weeks ago. Les N. had
the old log cabin three miles down the road from our house. His mother, Marie, was/is a real
class act. On occasion, she would stay at the cabin, by herself for a few days or a week at a time.
We had met her previously. My favorite anecdote about her was as follows. While driving home
from town we noticed a car in the driveway of the old cabin. We stopped to check it out. Marie
was there by herself. We invited her to our home and have dinner with us, warning her that the
one and only course we would have, would be soup. She enthusiastically agreed to be there. An
hour after we got home, Marie came driving up in her new Cadillac. She was caring a brown bag
and we ushered her into our home. She presented the contents of the brown bag to her “hostess,”
Peggy. It was a bottle of GlenFiddich. That was our baptism to a single malt scotch.
Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are first cousins. Sipping cousins, that is. Once in awhile we
will indulge ourselves with either or. On more timid occasions, we settle for Jameson Irish
Whiskey. Not shaken nor stirred. Just sipped.
Another reply to my message was from a wise man who said that if you just reversed the
portions of tonic and gin you would have the perfect pain-killer.
Friend Barb, R. N. cautioned against taking pain pills with gin or tonic. Schweppes and
Canada Dry (both DIET) can be found at Walgreens for $ 1.29 per bottle. Fortunately I found a
Fry’s (Kroger) brand for 59 CENTS A BOTTLE for diet or regular. Pairing it with the cheap gin,
it is cheaper than bottled water.
If any of you are devotees of Vernor’s Ginger Ale, it is available via Amazon.com. $ 12.00
for a case of 24 cans.
Our Fry’s Super market sells it for $ 4.57 a 12 pack. Twice a year or so, it goes on sale
for the magnificent sum of THREE DOLLARS FOR A 12 PACK. LIMIT - 5 PACKS.
So much for minutia.
Tpone
On the subject of "class:" Doc Greene, (d.) former Detroit Sports Writer and later, Columnist,
said, "Class is when you pay your bar tab,,,and don't bother to count the change."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.