Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit United Railways - Shoemaker & St. Jean « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For decades a large office building erected, I
believe, by Detroit United Railways stood near the
corner of Shoemaker and St. Jean on the far east
side. Behind it was an attractive and spacious car barn that had room for several dozen street cars. The Detroit Department of Transportation is razing
those large buildings this week.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for Bulletmagnet to get over there.....calling bulletmagnet......

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 864
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shit! I'm all over that tomorrow, guys. Let’s hope there is still something left to shoot by then. I did see a semi with wrecking gear near there today (insert 'Batman' theme music here)

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes indeed, the old DSR administration office building will soon be history. The demolition of that building, and the old carbarn that sits behind it, is part of a long delayed rehabilitation project DDOT is doing to that property. Most of the facility has been "temporarily" closed since August 2004.

The former DSR administration office building is one of three buildings left on the property which were originally built by the city of Detroit when it first went into the transportation business in 1922. The carbarn and the terminal office building on St. Jean are the other two.

The old building, at 11200 Shoemaker, served as the DSR headquarters from 1922 thru 1972.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this is going?

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Saw it yesterday. All of the windows have been removed and the bulldozers are on site. The trees pictured are also gone. The far end of the building (not pictured) is the starting point.

(Message edited by maxcarey on July 25, 2007)

Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Mikem, those are the two buildings slated to be demolished. However, I was told this morning that the current contractor is only contracted to bulldoze the office building, not the old carbarn. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on that one. The original plans presented four years ago did call for both buildings to be demolished.

btw--the trees fell sometime last year during a wind storm

(Message edited by bc_n_dtown on July 25, 2007)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3501
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

btw--the tress fell sometime last year during a wind storm

I trust truss was intended.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trees were cut down by forestry last year.

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad the city could not have found some use for these old buildings. They look beautifully built.

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will miss seeing them on my way to church on Sunday mornings.

Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually "Karl_jr" the tree that was located closest to St. Jean was the one that fell during that storm. According to one of the DDOT security supervisors, the fallen tree even damaged the fence next to the east end of the building. The tree closest to Lillibridge was left leaning and also had to be cut down.

btw--I understand that as of last weekend all that's now left of the building is rubble.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually "Bc_n_dtown" I know the person at DDOT that ordered forestry (actually just asked them by a fluke meeting) to do it, and then I watched it being done. It may have been wind damaged but they where removed with the purpose of the demolition of the building, which was way behind schedule.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.