Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Weather: Ready to Wail » Archive through July 19, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's been some unbelievable thunderstorm development in northern Illinois, but it looks like this will leave us alone.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which will mean...

Less Cloud Cover, More Instability, Severe Thunderstorms.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread has become quite interesting. If we keep it up, we will have a pretty accurate documentation of how the weather was this season by the end of the summer.

Mercman
Username: Mercman

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this thread is keeping the rain away!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, my eastside neighborhood just saw a decent downpour :-P

Urbanize

Post Number: 1792
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the sun's returning.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wunderground.com/ra dar/radblast.asp?ID=DTX&lat=0& lon=0&label=you&type=N0R&zoomm ode=pan&map.x=400&map.y=240&ce nterx=212&centery=95&prevzoom= zoom&num=6&delay=15&scale=0.21 1&noclutter=0&showstorms=31&sh owlabels=1&rainsnow=1&lightnin g=1

That's the eastside of Detroit.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that there was a downpour in Detroit. There are hardly any clouds in Ann Arbor, let alone clouds with vertical development.

The forecast still says 50 percent the next 24 hours and 60 percent tomorrow: bad news for the huge Art Fair.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 720
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a little thunderstorm heading across the Up, straight at us.......grrrrrrrr, I hope it misses us, I stained the deck floor yesterday and would like it to cure a little more.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sunny now! (And quite humid.)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1796
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Funny, Nothern Macomb, Southern Lapeer, SEern Genessee, SWern St. Clair, and Northern Oakland are getting hit now with Thunderstorms.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3267
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that. Is that along a warm front, Urb?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1797
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, along a Upper Level Trough.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, the SPC is considering a Watch box for areas along and northeast of a Detroit-to-Brighton Line. The Air is very Unstable along with good wind shear. However, there's so far been decent Subsidence across the areas south of 8 Mile.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/produc ts/md/md1521.html

THat's why there's been so much action today across those regions compared to the South. THat's where the best forcing resides.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NWS discussion reveals that they are expecting a storm cluster to pass through the entire area around daybreak. Until then, scattered storms and humid air.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"NWS discussion reveals that they are expecting a storm cluster to pass through the entire area around daybreak. Until then, scattered storms and humid air."

If you notice, that discussion was typed up and issued well before the SPC came into the room.

Also, if you check their HWO, it's still cooperating with the SPC's outline, with the potential for SEvere WEather into the Evening.

Mikem

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now it's cloudy, and it might rain or even storm because, you know...it's freaking summer! Are you guys going to fill this forum with an ongoing play-by-play of normal, routine summer weather for the next two months? Take it over to the Non-Detroit section or some other weather discussion forum.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1801
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a bit concerned that whatever Supercells do develop could prompt a Tornado Warning at any time as the SPC's Day 1 outlook has The Central Portions of SE Michigan (including much of Detroit) under the 2% area for tornados, which is pretty significant.

The reason I'm worried is because that Disturbance on the westside of the state, creating that cone in the center, and the turning of the winds around them do favor the possibility of rotating storms.

So this will have to be watch by someone, as I'M GOING TO FLORIDA!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have fun.

As per Mikem's bitching request, I'll shut up, unless there's a tornado warning.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/produc ts/watch/ww0532.html

Severe T'Storm Watch for Wayne, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Livingston, Lapeer and Sanilac Counties until 10 PM tonight.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, there appears to be a hail storm coming this way. S2 at wunderground.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like this weather thread!

But them Im a weather dork :-)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In more play by play:

Tornado warning for Midland county. Just as Urbanize suspected.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 841
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I will sit this thread out. Every time I make a prediction, it goes wrong. So, tonights weather will be...sunny.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welp, that didn't pan out. AGAIN.

Time for a rain dance I think.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 721
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its raining, as we speak, above the 45th parellel. Thankgoodness my deck got that extra day to cure.

Mikem

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Do you happen to know what the weather is in Brookings, South Dakota?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes this such an interesting topic to discuss is the severe lack of rain during June and July. The weather pattern has sent so few weather systems toward southern Michigan, and it has been strange to see so many long, hot spells not broken with drenching rains afterward. And the last few days, with lots of weather systems crossing the lakes, we've gotten some very light rain while areas north and south of the metro area have been completely drenched, at times by severe storms.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? Do you happen to know what the weather is in Brookings, South Dakota?

Sorry, I only know the weather where I live.