Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who was (or is) your favorite Detroit DJ? « Previous Next »
Archive through July 26, 2007Sstashmoo30 07-26-07  1:16 pm
Archive through July 27, 200765memories30 07-27-07  10:12 am
Archive through August 09, 20073rdworldcity30 08-09-07  7:36 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 899
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Rockwell, as in "This is Rockwell, these are records". He recorded his syndicated jazz show in the mid '60's at what ever WABX was before it went progressive. Great voice, very cool with an excellent delivery.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like my buddy who worked radio in Cali for 38 years has said "radio today sucks and everyone but radio people know it"...

i only remember Mojo's show but i listened to WLLZ (98.7fm) quite a bit and when i could get it way up here in port huron, WABX. that wasnt very often...

i worked with Trudi Daniels at that same cali station back in 89-91. i worked with the engineers. she was Trudi Z then. the station played house music (dance/lite hip-hop)...

d

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying_2_stay:
Back in the late 70's, Tune-Up was boisterous, forthright and sometimes strident, but not obnoxious.

The only Huddleston I knew was David Huddleston and his older brother Michael Valentine. They were both from south Rosedale Park.

Jackie5275
Username: Jackie5275

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Eddie Rogers was around for quite awhile. I wonder what happened to him. You know who else has been around the block several times is Kevin O'Neill at WNIC. I think he's been on about 3/4s of the stations here in metro Detroit. I was really surprised a few years ago when he popped up on 96.3.

Goggo
Username: Goggo

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Years ago, my favorite DJ was Jim Davis, WXYZ and later, CKWW. Nowadays, Frank Beckmann, WJR.

Who was the 60s WKNR DJ that featured a 'pet rat' alter-ego?

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fear that the days where a DJ could break an album in a market and make it a hit are over. As clear channel gobbles up more and more markets, it is just cheaper to syndicate everything. A guy like Dave Dixon or Mojo or Frantic Ernie D. were all from different eras but their love of music and freedom to play what they thought the audience would appreciate was what set them apart. To paraphrase a bumper sticker..."Corperate Radio Sucks". That has never been truer.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5695
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only does corporate radio suck, it truly takes the creativity out of an individual's hand. All of the DJs mentioned here struck a cord with us somehow- whether it's with their programming, personality or some other sort of personal appeal. The individuals were counted on with their vast musical knowledge to weave a show together and gear it toward their market. Corporate radio lacks soul and a connection to an audience- quite frankly, they just play music without any true regard to whether the audience even likes it. They shuck it off to the masses and force feed the musically challenged.

Play savvy music or break new ground for the people who are yearning for more and it benefits everyone around us. Not only are we treated to a wider array of music, but relatively unknown artists are given exposure, music sales go up, possible concerts sell out and we're all the better for it.

Since corporate radio has sunk into Detroit- there are no longer any truly free airwaves playing diversity, personality or soul. Long gone are DJs that are allowed to use their musical knowledge.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 343
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J. Michael Wilson (who generally followed Scott "The Burger" Regen on WKNR) had Rodney the Rodent as his sidekick.

Both were among my many favorites.

Dave Dixon was fabulous doing a completely different style of radio. Sadly he was mainly a miserable jerk in person. I later came to appreciate John Penney of WDET, who was every bit as good as Dixon and a nice guy to boot.

I also loved the smoothness of Dave Lockhart and Jim Davis and was encouraged to emulate both in my radio career.

Douglasm

Post Number: 903
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic...
....J. Michael had a long career at CHUM, didn't he?

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Vetalalumni
Maybe obnoxious was too strong and only MY opinion, I apologize. And I agree with Jazz and Smog taking the power from DJ's has now given us this "we can only play what we are authorized to play" on the air waves. Even though the concept of payolla is supposed to be illegal I would bet it happens some kind of way. How else can you attest to hearing the same songs over and over and over and over and over (u get my drift) from the same artists when the ones we want to hear you gotta find in music stores. My son and his friends have been trying to get local airplay at a couple only to be told that the DJ and management had to go through a lot of steps to get it done. It's been 8 months now......still waiting.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic,

I hope you don't mind me quoting you. http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=2078

Tell us more about your days in radio. The greats are always too humble. Please don't be....

Dialed in

Detroit radio used to be exciting. I still cherish the memories of turning on WABX-FM 99.5 (“The station of your wildest dreams,” they called themselves) back in the late ’60s; my neighbor Skip Moss clued me in about it. What the hell was this stuff I’d stumbled into? Cream, Jimi Hendrix, the Doors, the Grateful Dead — no other station played them, no other station sounded like this either. Ad-libbed live commercials for the Just Looking Bootery (“Don’t forget to ask for your free slap in the face”); announcers including Dave Dixon and Jerry Lubin who sounded like real people making it up as they went along, not puking top-40 hacks; a sense of outrage against an immoral Asian war and injustice in our own neighborhoods; all framed by a seat-of-the-pants attitude and a healthy dose of “f@&k the system.” There hadn’t been anything like it before, there’ll never be anything like it again, since Detroit’s commercial radio dial is now as pasteurized and processed as Velveeta — and just as bland. —Vic Doucette

Smogboy

Post Number: 5701
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic, you probably knew Dave Dixon on a much deeper level than most of us but I still remember meeting him for the first time. It was when Sam's Jams had those Friday night concert series inside their store (I loved the fact they were open until midnight). I believe the group Gamelon was playing and there was a small crowd (mostly WDET listeners who were exposed to them) circling the make shift stage. Dave Dixon, clad in a brown Members Only jacket was off in the corner looking miserable and very lonely... by choice. I felt some pity for him because the band was wonderful, the people there really seemed to enjoy themselves and poor Dave was stewing all by his lonesome.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Wagner is probably my favorite classical DJ. His Sousaphone wakeup, humor and his easygoing personality is very rare today. I suppose classical (for the lack of a better term) DJ's are probably just as forced into playing certain music. Modern music won't get played like Mozart, Beethoven etc.

Like former WJZZ's Don Swindell, he is a musician first. Both are superb musicians.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage -- Don't give me more credit than I deserve!

I started in radio at WSHJ-FM, the station of the Southfield Public Schools, in 1973. It was a good training ground for lots of us, most with far more talent than I ever had. Dave Fuller, Doug Banks, Mike Benson, Dick and Cathy Shafran are just a few of the folks I crossed paths with.

Studied radio and worked in campus radio at MSU thereafter. Dropped out after the Blizzard of 1978 when I realized that I was learning more about the business working part-time at a station in Lansing than I was in school.

Worked at several stations in Michigan, then moved to Florida to work for the guy who had run the station at Southfield High. Knocked around Florida for five years, mainly in the southwestern part of the state, then off to New Mexico for a spell.

Out of work, I wound up back in the Detroit area, working briefly and unhappily at the late, unlamented WBRB-AM in Mt. Clemens. Later went to work for a trade magazine about the broadcasting and recording industry; as that outfit began to fail I landed a part-time job as a radio traffic reporter.

That job became full-time, and I spent several years on the ground and in the sky telling people why they were stuck in traffic. But it became clear that it was time to leave the business. Jobs were getting tougher to find, the pay (which sucks for most who aren't at the top of the pyramid) wasn't getting any better and the grind of being in a 24/7/365 business had begun to wear me down.

I went back to school at Wayne State, graduated with a BA in public relations, then wound up at Metro Times, and have stayed in the newspaper business ever since. and it only took 24 years to get my degree.

Even my Mom wouldn't have called me "great." If I had been great, I'd have likely stayed in the business and made Purtan money. I was, at best, a good hack broadcaster. Give me the microphone and tell me what you want done; I'll do it. But don't mistake that for greatness--I sure don't.

I still get behind a microphone for the Miracle League of Michigan (visit www.michiganmiracle.org to find out more on this great passion of mine), but I'm glad I don't have to try to make a living at radio any more.

And I don't claim to have known Dixon well. I met him any number of times at WDET-sponsored events or when I would volunteer for pledge drives and such, but we were hardly close. He just struck me as a miserable, mean-spirited man who didn't fined happiness despite his considerable talent and amazing voice.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 436
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic...Jim Davis was a favorite. I miss his relaxed personality and easy-going wit. He truly was enjoyable to listen to.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying_2_stay:
Regarding your opinion of Walter Keith Neal (AKA Tune-up Man) and his radio show, no apologies are necessary. You are entitled to your opinion. I have no opinion of his show as I don't listen to it.

The corporatization of the FM airwaves seems to be virtually everywhere and nothing new. And don't even talk about T.V. - that is an entirely different mess.

Radio just did not seem like this in the 70's and early 80's. Today, most stations seem to have an overbearing "canned" approach.

Though I know very little about it, many seem to enjoy XM satellite radio these days. Anyone have insight into the potential benefits of XM over FM?

Douglasm

Post Number: 904
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vic....
....you want 24/7? Try ownership. I'm living proof of the old joke about how to make a million dollars in radio....

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed Till

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 905
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave almost always sat alone - and while he may have looked miserable, most of the time he wasn't. He waited for people to approach him, and from what I saw/heard, was appreciative. He was actually a witty man, often gruff and abrasive, some found him insufferable. Dave was almost impossible to manage, I'm sure he gave Ann Delisi more than one gray hair but she often prevailed. I can well remember him hijacking programming meetings, changing the agenda by cleverly steering discussions in unexpected directions. Dave was quick witted and sharp, and sharp-tongued as well, had an explosive temper and was tempermental, too. Despite all of that, I got on well with Dave, most of the time. He had a soft spot for Bix Beiderbecke and twenties jazz which was likely the basis for his respect.
He was a brilliant programmer, had a great radio voice, and natural curiosity about people and music. Good interviewer. And had eclectic musical taste, needless to say. He ended up hosting a show about arts/culture on an AM station . I know he drove shuttles out at the airport, too, to make ends meet. He had some health issues. Dave Dixon was a unique and gifted individual.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave had a large number of friends who truly loved him, and was always the "extra man" at everybody's dinner party. He was thoughtful, aloof, could be a misanthrope in general, but anyone who could inspire friendship in so many was not a lonely, miserable guy.
The little side gigs he did toward the end were all tossed his way by his many friends.
Jerry Lubin was about his fondest friend, which speaks well of anybody.
Dave didn't have small talk, he was either in deep conversation or off by himself, which may have given the "lonely, miserable" air when he was out and about. That and oh yeah, he was a misanthrope ...but maybe he was right about that!

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the entire cast of WNIC. Does anyone know the sign off theme that Alan Allman played?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steamaker, it was "Summer Madness" by Kool & the Gang. Excellent tune.

Mallory

Post Number: 167
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WBRB? Thanks, I forgot to mention Polka Joe and Waltzing Wanda! Classic memories of growing up in a Polish household.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when most of the Radio Jocks had colorful names to match their personality?

My favorite station was 107.5 (WGPR)...I can remember the line-up at WGPR around 1983 or so....

Rock'in Reggie Brown....(7am-to-11:00am) played more top 50 type R&B music...Shalamar, Debarge, Sister Sledge etc.

Marvelous Marv.........(11:00am-to-3:00p m) played newer funk, Rap and Freestyle...Zapp, Fatback, Xavier, Kurtis Blow, Funky Four, Soul Sonic Force, Planet patrol, Newcleus, etc...

Tiger Dan..............(3:00pm-to-6: 00pm) played drive time music, classic Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross, Teddy Pendergrass, Melba Moore, Pattie Labell, type music.

Gospel for 1 hour......(6:00pm-to-7:00pm)played all religious,and live church services.

Tony Anthony (T-Square)....(7:00pm-to-10:00 pm)played more b-side music, and southern funk style music...Funkedelic, Trouble Funk, Raydio, Al Hudson and One Way, Chuck Brown...etc...

Electrifying Mojo......(10:00pm-to-2:00am) and everybody is familiar with the Electrifying one!

Great Radio!__each jock had their own individual style of music and personality.

blksoul-atcha

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 568
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x:
Thanks for listing the DJ names from WGPR. I listened to them all in the early 80's. After Electrifying Mojo, Marvelous Marv and T-Square were my favorites.

Mallory

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x, I worked there from '86 to '88, and the line up was:

Marvelous Marv, 6-10am,
JC Cage, 10a-2 or 3pm,
Foody, til 6pm,
Henry Tyler from 6pm - ?
and I forget overnights.
I really enjoyed working there. I cut my teeth working in production there, and filled in for anybody that needed it when called on. I remember that I really enjoyed working there, except for the GM, George Matthews. Kinda guy that wouldn't know a good idea if it perched on his desk. There was so much possibility for that place, but leadership just didn't have a clue. It was like working for the "train that could," but the engineer just never bought enough coal. Too many analogies. I'll stop there.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loved Famous Coachman. And Electrifying Mojo.

Carl Coffey is a fun listen if you can get 103.1 out of Lapeer. apparently he decided he'd rather have a comfy hometown gig than duke it out in a major market.

Dave Wagner's a friend, so it's kind of fun to drive in to work with someone you know.

Robert Jones' Deep River is probably the best show on the radio. Unfortunately, the move to 6am Sunday put it out of my reach. Last I checked, it was the only WDET show not to have archives - hopefully that was temporary? Oh yeah - love Matt Watroba and Larry McDaniel too. And finally got to meet W Kim Heron - what a cool guy. Turned out we were at the same MSU dorm station way back when, WEAK - you were instantly fired if you EVER called it "Weak", even off-air, LOL.

Anyone else remember Flash Phelps from the last days of WABX? He's one of the "stars" of XM 60's on 6 now.

My favorite DJ back in the day was Mark Parenteau - not sure why anymore. I think I just liked his song choices. He's involved with XM now, too, I think. Or was a few years back - I saw an interview.

JC (Jesse?) Crawford was a real visionary. Fearlessly playing Motown on a rock station - my hero.

Okay, I've gone on long enough...

Steamaker
Username: Steamaker

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mallory

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tales from the Underground

During the heyday of underground radio, the aforementioned Dave Dixon was one of the kings of radio. All the air aces played tunes no one else in this market would touch- until CJOM came along and gave them a run for their money. Either way, during the early to mid seventies, those two stations made it a badge of honour not to play music classified as popular. I went to visit Dixon one night at CJOM as my buds and I were big fans- but he threw us out- pretty typical Dixon behaviour- but we listened to him anyhow because he ruled the undergound.

Mark Parenteau had a show at 10pm weeknights and was always on top of his game. One of his and Dixon's great strengths was their ability to bring great musicians into the studio and conduct witty interviews. Also, when it came to shift change between jocks, the two aces would often chat on air for up to 20 minutes- as these cats were the epitome of cool, we hung on every word. The other part that was fun was when the Air Aces would mock the commercials- rude comments or noises in the background while the ads blared out. Talk about biting the hand that feeds...

When ABX was in its dying days, Steve Kostan worked the overnight shift and I swear he married some of the finest musical selections ever heard in this market. Maybe it had something to do with coming to the end of a great era in Detroit radio history and he wanted to take it to the limit- one more time. Kostan does what he can on CSX but the wheels of commercialism roll on and to survive in radio today you gotta play LedZep, Pink Floyd, The Who, the Stones and the Beatles- ad nauseaum. I guess you know that tune.

Jim Johnson aka JJ at WCSX started at CJOM. One night he was playing one of the all time great underground classics, Dr. John's "Walk on Guilded Splinters" when he received a call from an irate listener berating him for "playing that shit." In true underground fashion, Johnson mentioned the listener's lack of musical acumen and went on to play something else fairly obscure. I liked his style then.

Jerry Lubin had a great program when CSX first came on the air on Sunday mornings- this was the last vestiges of the ABX air ace days- but those days were destined to be gone forever, over a long time ago.

Dan Carlysle was another air ace whose name has not appeared in this discussion. His knowledge of music was very deep, and he was a very strong force in getting Bob Seger to come out of his shell (surprisingly, Seger was quite shy). I'd drop in to see Dan several time when he was spinning at WWWW at the old place on Jefferson and I would coerce him into playing Tim Buckley's "Move With Me"- to hear those lyrics on the air made the trip worthwhile!

Sadly, all this was in the days before digital, and little of Detroit's underground radio survives- although I have some stashed on my old reel to reel somewhere.

Today, vestiges of the underground remain but you have to listen hard, especially since the demise of WDET. The "Over Easy" program on CSX weekends carries tunes that perk the old ears up from time to time, but where else can we go? And the commercials are pretty hard to take- especially with a hangover.

Otherwise, it's Radio Paradise (http://www.radioparadise.com) for me- the last of the truly independent underground radio stations.

A fine pictorial essay can be found @ http://home.att.net/~s.m.geer/ home.htm

Smogboy

Post Number: 5748
Posted on Monday, August 20, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stuff there Walkerpub. I just checked out Radio Paradise and it is aptly named. Thanks.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni quoted....

quote:

'Blksoul_x:
Thanks for listing the DJ names from WGPR. I listened to them all in the early 80's. After Electrifying Mojo, Marvelous Marv and T-Square were my favorites'.

You are welcome V'__I can remember those days like yesterday. I was a huge radio head. I think I had the biggest boom box on my block!

OH! I can't leave out WGPR's resident mixologist...

'Hump The Grinder'

Life was so simple then!

blksoul-atcha!

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory stated....

quote:

Blksoul_x, I worked there from '86 to '88, and the line up was:

Marvelous Marv, 6-10am,
JC Cage, 10a-2 or 3pm,
Foody, til 6pm,
Henry Tyler from 6pm - ?
and I forget overnights.

Yes, I remember 'JC Cage'...I believe he might have came after 'Rockin Reggie Brown'. Yes and 'Foody' was a little later than 83'...great call Mallory!

blksoul-atcha!

Mallory

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Hump! Oh my god, that was along time ago. I used to mix for RJ Watkins when he did the live broadcast at Gibson's Lounge back in the day. Great memories!!!

Walkerpub, thanks for the CJOM recap. That was also some very good radio. Oh to have the freedom to play what listeners actually want to hear, and not what corporate suits THINK they want to hear...

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkerpub, thanks for the radioparadise link. I'll check 'em out

Another great independent internet station is 3WK (http://3wk.com/). Check out their "classic rock" station for a walk down memory lane. They'll play stuff you probably hadn't heard even back in the day. The guy who runs it apparently comes from Detroit, too. He mentions it occasionally in song intros.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz:

Thanks for the tip- I am already hooked!

Who said freeform radio is dead?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waz: Thank you!! Thank you!! THANK YOU!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5768
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here remember Francis Tinsley from the ol' WLBS days? I've always wondered what happened to her.

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Black. He taught me a great deal about music, production, and the power of the media to educate and inspire.

Mallory

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago has a station called "The Drive," not sure of the call letters, but its kind of a classic rock/oldies hybrid, and really digs up some great stuff once in a while.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5769
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Black is also the widower to his late wife, Sabrina who tragically succumbed to cancer. Sabrina was a personality on WDFN, the sports talk radio shows for the most part. The radio station there hosts a radiothon every year to raise money to "kick lymphoma's ass" every year in her memory. What Steve and Sabrina Black did as a couple towards the last few months of Sabrina's life was inspiring and touching. Kudos to Steve for being a wonderful dedicated husband. Sabrina will be missed by plenty.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WLBS was very, very much like WBLS in New York which came before it. After visiting relatives in NY, I became a fan.

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Dixon WABX
Loved CJOM but don't remember any names
Famous Coachman always a hoot
Chris Felcyn at 90.9 is great

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

V quoted....

quote:

WLBS was very, very much like WBLS in New York which came before it. After visiting relatives in NY, I became a fan.

A few notable local radio personalities got their 'beginnings' at WLBS (102.7)....

'Lisa Lisa' later became the #1 DJ at WHYT 96.3 and then WDRQ 93.1

'Gerald McBride' was the Friday and Saturday Night Host with his show, 'Saturday Night Live'. He also had a short stay at WGPR, WJLB,WDRQ and WJZZ.

'Cyle Lamont' hosted the 'Late Night' spot on WLBS, later moving to Mornings.

blksoul-atcha!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw JERRY LUBIN at the JOHN SINCLAIR show at The Butcher Inn on Thursday, they both look GREAT.
Both of those guys were KILLER DJs.
Sinclair did 12 years at WWOZ in New Orleans after WDET, best blues dj I have ever heard.
He currently does internet radio on RADIO FREE AMSTERDAM and his show at www.johnsinclairradio.com....

Humanmachinery
Username: Humanmachinery

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Steve Black is also the widower to his late wife, Sabrina who tragically succumbed to cancer. Sabrina was a personality on WDFN, the sports talk radio shows for the most part. The radio station there hosts a radiothon every year to raise money to "kick lymphoma's ass" every year in her memory. What Steve and Sabrina Black did as a couple towards the last few months of Sabrina's life was inspiring and touching. Kudos to Steve for being a wonderful dedicated husband. Sabrina will be missed by plenty.

I used to listen to Sabrina when she was on WBZR, and I spoke to her a couple of few times times (mostly over the phone, but once in person). She got me into The Police, Stevie Wonder, and Journey. She was also a legitimately sweet and caring person. I remember reading about her passing over a year ago in the paper. It struck me with overwhelming sadness. I haven't bumped into Steve since then, but I hope he's doing well. It's quite a blow for any man to deal with.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss the Mr. Manly updates, I think from WLLZ 98.7 in early 90's.

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta be Dave Dixon on WABX and WDET

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my favorites were Lee Alan, Joel Sebastian, and later Johnny Randall. I can't recall the name of the DJ on WXYZ after Lee Alan. It was during the late night homework sessions.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.