Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » First visit to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

1rish
Username: 1rish

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Everyone, I'm new here and was hoping to get some info from you all. I'm a Tigers fan (from the pacific northwest) and will be attending my first game in Detroit in September. Other than that I would really love to get a few photos of Michigan Central Station, and some other great buildings (any advice here would be appreciated). The Henry Ford also looks to be in my plans. What I would like to know, as well, is safety related as I will be traveling solo. I'm not looking to venture somewhere I don't need to be and am wondering if you all might throw some pointers my way, everyone I've talked to seems to think I'll come back with a bullet and/or stab wound ;) So I joined this community of fine people that are actually FROM the area in hope of some true information, and I thank you all in advance for any info you can throw my way.
Thanks,
Josh.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum irish, and to Detroit. No, you won't go back home with stab wounds. Detroit is not any more dangerous than parts of Seattle, and down by the stadiums you will find it to be clean, friendly, and convenient. While you are downtown you will want to check out Campus Martius (just follow Woodward from Comerica Park [CoPa] to the river and you'll stumble upon it) a gorgeous city park in the Detroit's core, and then head to the Guardian Building on Griswold for a look at the finest Art Deco skyscraper in the Midwest. There is a coffee shop and some other stores inside and the ornate lobby will impress you. Map kiosks along Woodward and near the stadiums can guide you to these locations.

MCS is another story. If you just want to look at the outside, you should be fine driving up and getting out to take a few shots. If you want to go inside, it's best to go with someone who has been there before and lives in the city. Perhaps someone on this board would be willing to give a tour--I'd be up for it myself but I'm out of the state at the moment. Either way, you'll be impressed with this ruin. Please do not contribute to the station's deterioration by vandalizing or taking pieces home with you.

For some other architectural landmarks, you may want to visit the Fisher Building on Grand Blvd in Midtown. This is a short bus ride or drive up Woodward from the stadium. If you have time, take a moment to look at our improved riverfront in front of the renovated Renaissance Center. Both are true gems and the Riverwalk is a great place for a summer stroll with its fountains and views of Canada. Just follow Woodward down to Hart Plaza at the river and steps will lead you down to the Riverwalk.

Other places to consider:
- Belle Isle, the nation's largest island city park designed by Frederick Law Olmstead
- Cranbrook, art museum and impressive Art Deco architecture by the Saarinens in Bloomfield Hills.
- Eastern Market, bustling central market off Gratiot Ave.
- Detroit People Mover, monorail that can get you from the stadiums to the riverfront/Ren Cen/Griswold St. quickly and easily.

Of course this isn't all. I'm sure many others here can give you many more pointers on where to go, where to eat, and where to avoid.

Thanks for coming, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive down Jefferson, first go to the Heidelberg Project. It must be seen to be believed.
http://www.heidelberg.org/

Then buy some souveniers at Pewabic Pottery. Most of the buildings in Detroit are decorated with Pewabic, they're sensational. And affordable.
http://www.pewabic.org/

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and if you're coming early in September, make time for the best Detroit festival evah.

http://www.dallyinthealley.com /

(he missed 4th street, why bring it up?)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some things to do in september:

-Do what GSGEORGE and OLDREDFORDETTE said, they have some good ideas...

-Check out the Grand Prix

-International Jazz fest (don't miss Herbie Hancock and Dave Brubeck)

-Indian Village & Boston Edison offer some nice home viewing

-unfortunately, the DIA will be closed when you come (Detroit Institute of Arts) arguably one of the best in the country. But if you like art, and are here on or after September 15th, check out the new exhibit at MOCAD, the new museum of contemporary art on woodward. (mocadetroit.org) [i work there, say hello!]

-do you like bike riding? there will most likely be an informal and welcoming night time bike race called the alley cat in september.

-Food? Avalon Bakery, Slow's Barbecue, The Bronx Bar for AMAZINGLY good sandwiches, New Hellas in Greektown for good greek fare, Sizzle and Spice (my favorite indian place, though teh decor is lacking), El Comal in the Sw, Eph Mcnalleys, Baile Cork, and finally: The Clique & Steakhut & Lafayette Coney Island for good cheap vittles.

for other ideas, pass on your age and interests... i can give you more specific ideas...

(Message edited by andylinn on July 26, 2007)

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if you only have a ticket for one game, for the other games going on during your stay, you can catch them from the roof on Cheli's Chili Bar free of charge (I'd get there early however)

There ia great food EVERYWHERE. I don't know if Mexican is your thing, but SW Detroit is the mecca of Mexican food in Detroit. Armando's is my favorite.

Parts of this city are very dangerous, but those places are off the beaten path from a tourist's view.

Hamtramck is also a must visit.

Check out the Grosse Pointes and see how they live on the other side of Mack and Alter.

1rish

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the great stuff everyone...I'll be in town Sept. 6-9, so I will definitely check out some of the things you all mentioned. A couple of other things...I would like to know where the UA Theater is located (I'm not looking to go inside any of these buildings, I'll leave that to the dude from ForgottenDetroit.Com) and if there are any good spots to eat around WSU, I will be staying at the Inn of Ferry St. Thank you all for the great stuff...It's much appreciated.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will definitely enjoy your stay at the Inns on Ferry. A very good choice.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, in walking distance from where you are staying is the Detroit Historical Museum. This might be a fun stop for you. Also just South on Woodward is the Magic Stick, which is where any aspiring Detroit rock band would like to pack the house. The ground floor is the Garden Bowl, which I believe is the country's oldest operating Bowling Alley. I could be wrong on that, but either way, it's a helluva good time.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gave you a very general 'tourist's tour' of Detroit in my first post. If you're looking for stuff off the beaten path, take Andylinn's advice.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the gift shop at the Detroit Historical Museum has great old pictures of Detroit as well as a full selection of the Arcadia books on Detroit.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1rish, I visited the city last year, parked near the DIA (leaving my laptop and other valuables in the trunk of a car), and had a Forumer show me some important sites. While we came across some beggars, I did not feel unsafe. Just exercise caution and be careful, and you should be fine. Also, there is a lot of daylight this time of year, so if you are going to go to more desolate areas, do that during the day, and leave other things for night. There's no need to press your luck.

I would definitely suggest going to MCS, even if you only stay on the outside (as I did). It was one of the more memorable parts of my trip. The old auto factories (Piquette, Highland Park, Fisher Body #21) were also interesting to me.

Lastly, if you have any interest in music, I would definitely, definitely go to the Motown Museum. It was possibly the highlight of my entire trip.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW - You have very frequent bus service on Woodward, just a block from your hotel. You won't need to drive to get around the area or downtown.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/ddot/ index.html

Fare is $1.50 and the people mover downtown will get you anywhere for 50 cents a trip.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go on a guided tour:

www.preservationwayne.org

Fasteddie
Username: Fasteddie

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have time, go to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Then grab a meal in Mexicantown.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Detroit's southern neighbor. Windsor and all that includes.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was in Royal Oak tonight. First time in a long time. I usually dont visit the downtown suburbs, try to only support the D. But if I complain that the suburbs dont enjoy the D, I might as well try to enjoy the suburbs... i think (sleepy cant type)

anyways... i was pissed, I mean i expect that the surrounding suburbs should have their own lil niche of a downtown. But to be honest, i wish that a specific area had the vibrant life that royal oak had. i am sure that if you added all the people visiting the theatres, mid town, greektown, ren cen, riverfront, harmonie, broadway, etc that there are more people in the D. But what the D has is that lack of concentration. I mean, there were many people crusing the streets, walking in and out of the retail stores, in the restaurants, the hair salons (suprised how packed many of those were), and the book/coffee shops. I was jealous, i wish detroit had that influx, but on the other side, what i wasnt jealous of was the chain upon chain, ugly buildings, and lack of character. but still, i wish the d had that many people.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2285
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're be in place for the Dally. Eat at the Majestic, eat at Union Street, eat at Cass Cafe, if you have some dough, eat at the Whitney or Atlas Global Bistro. Have a great time.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is, however, one grave danger, my friend. If you are not extremely careful, and I mean this to the fullest extent, if you do not protect yourself at all times, you just might fall in love with this city. You will not know where you infected yourself and you may not know why but, you just may not want to leave. If you find yourself feverish, don`t fight it, groove with it. It has happened before.

Don`t say you weren`t warned.

1rish

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you fine people for all the great ideas...keep them coming. I'm a sucker for old buildings, too (thanks to CMAN for your recommendations), anyone have any others that are a must see?

1rish

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister...you may just be right. I'm feeling pretty stoked right now (because of you all, and the great stuff here), can't wait to get there...and since you mentioned it, I have been known to groove every now and again.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1rish: I'd be happy to take you around the city for a few hours while you're in town. If you would be interested in discussing, I can be reached at dkosh<at>msn.com.

1rish

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the offer Kathleen...I just might take you up on that. I'll shoot you an email in the near future.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend seeing the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House.

http://www.fordhouse.org/

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 577
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy Linn, there's an Alleycat Scramble in Detroit?!? I'm surprised I'm reading about this here first, damn... I don't compete, but I've checked a few of those races, there was a 15th or even 20th anniversary or something here in Toronto last Hallowe'en. The cops found us at the start (in an alley, natch) but they were cool. My impression of Detroit cops is they would not be as receptive to this event. Now I want to put upload my Critical Mass & Lewis Black pics from Friday night...

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the pace to be if you'r a sucker for old buildings. The Ren Cen is probably the most modern (looking) highrise downtown.

New center and the surrounding area is a really great place to hang out. Oh, and make sure you go to one of the Pure Detroit stores, there one in the Fisher Building and the Guardian building. That way you can show all your friends back home your cool Detroit wear and how there's no bullet/knife holes in it! :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.