Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » WDET Coverage Makes Me Think « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who is too young to know the riots, but old enough to be indoctrinated against the city, the coverage on WDET is really informative for me.

To me, I never had realized what the big deal was - historically, there were issues all across the country that year, and although there has been long-term damage none has had the media impact of Detroit's situation.

Hearing the clips that I did this morning, I realize that the disturbance burned into white people's minds fear.

I realize that all of the times I've been cautioned about even visiting in the city (or when I lived there) is out of a complete feeling of fear. The tonality, the approach - all fear.

A deep kind of fear that those three days reinforced - it was the "tipping point" if you will for a majority of a generation against the city. Against working to make things better, and bridge the divides of race and economics.

I do not have that particular fear - but I realize that fear dominates our local politic. I was disgusted to hear a council person from Huntington Woods (I believe) talk about how they wouldn't hold hands with someone from Detroit.

Although there was a dispute between governments, such a flippant, broad statement was blood-curdling in the hate that was embedded in it. Of course, I also understand there has been a century of this division in our region.

So here's what my proposition. How do we make a new "tipping point" - how do we, in the popular term, make an "anti-riot?"

Unite all the peoples that have affection for the city, and get the kind of numbers the disturbance had, but replace tanks with cleaning trucks - bullets with dollars buying goods - tear gas with tears of joy.

I won't say "take the city back." That is disrespectful and incorrect. I will say "be part of the solution that will benefit us all." I will say "bring people together like no where else in the midwest."

Once this perception - this fear that remains in the rest of the country and even some within the city - is gone, people will take the pride to take all the changes the rest of the way. Even in this economy, there is plenty of money to make things happen if there is the opportunity and the desire.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little fear is chipped away each time a person goes down for a Tiger's game, then stops at Slow's after for some food. Each person from out of the city who came to River Days and had a wonderful time left with a little bit less fear. Anybody who has had the wonderful experience of ice skating under the giant Christmas tree in Campus Martius at night during the holidays has lost some fear. Everybody who came down for the Super Bowl, and saw the city cleaned and lit up like they may never have seen in their entire lifetimes, left with less fear.

Just keep up the momentum.
Detroit Rises!

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Slow's. I think the food is great, and I always have a good time there. But sheesh, this forum seems like an ad board for Slow's half the time.

By the way, is it Slow's or Slows?
And if no apostrophe, why not?

Ah, forget it.

I'd plug the awesome mashed sweet potatoes, but I wouldn't want to sound like an ad for ... oh, never mind.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Harper. Let me spread the love around.

...each time a person goes down for a Tigers game, then stops at Union Street after for some food.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2283
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Union Street. I love Unions.

oops. Let's start again.

We need to learn from the past, look at it unflinchingly, then embrace the future.

Me, I gotta wear shades. Peace out, peoples.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 835
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm afraid of Birmingham

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4502
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome Vaughn did a wonderful series on the riots for WDET's Detroit300 series back in 2001. Is that what was played this morning or was it something new?

I'm not sure if the Detroit300 series is available on WDET's website but if it is and you haven't heard it, it's worth a listen. Gene Elzy's memories as a reporter covering the riot, driving down the street with his driver license and press ID pasted to the front window so police and National Guard could see them immediately is one of the best pieces of tape I've ever heard.

As an aside, I miss Gene's music show on Saturday nights. I hope he is enjoying his retirement.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very good stuff -there's good things happening downtown. Next the neighborhoods. Build them back in shape & Detroit will have something going

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's not just Tiger games.

I just came back with a friend from the DYC, and because 75 was backed up went through a shortcut that I learned - get off at Caniff and go down Dequindre.

Anyway, it was great to hear comments of "oh, that's a nice house - wow, this is a nice neighborhood everybody is taking care of their yards (Dequindre/Grixdale) - wow, I never knew there was anything like this here - this isn't scary."

Jelk - I don't know what it was, but they had a great story of a guy name Mike McBride who was 9 when the disturbance happened - the opening of the story was touching because it was the story of a man who was shot by police on Charlevoix and the police left him there to die in front of him - and they also had an interview with a Michigan Public Radio reporters' grandfather, who talking about how "they" don't want her there and why does she want to live in the city.

What's amazing is that interview encapsulated the conversations I've heard a thousand times about anything to do with the city - from young and old. It's really part of what motivated me to post the thread, focusing on fear - I realized in that man's voice the out and out fear that was pouring from it, and how that matched my previous experiences.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.