Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » University Village Rises [pic] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4012
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

University Village Detroit Michigan

View from the Cass Cafe Parking Lot.

This is going to be big and big boost to the Cultural Center area community.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like such a cool development. It will really improve that strip of Woodward and the desirability of Midtown.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9607
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if only the morons in Windsor council can start the urban village they promised over 5 years ago!
Good development for the city and area.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is great to see a project moving so quickly. Usually things are announced and it takes sooooo long for them to start moving earth. This looks like they already have some footers in the ground. I do have to admit that the typical slowness with which developments take around here is slowly going away, which is definitely a good sign.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you had just moved the camera a little to the right you would have gotten a nice peek at MOCAD! ; )

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always felt the sense of urgency in how Wayne handled this project.

I never had the feeling that this project was a lot of spin.

Very nice!

Now WSU needs to get a sense of urgency and get the new school of business building built.

Curious if they will wait for a few other ongoing projects to be completed before getting another project started?

That would actually seem to make sense.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn this construction! The demolished the parking lot I like to use that was never full in the evenings and a convenient walk to both Old Main and the Cass Cafe!

Ok.... I actually look forward to seeing this development take shape! Maybe the area will someday actually feel like a college town.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4466
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of which, what do they have planned for what will soon become a vacant lot once they finish the demolition of the old Dorms on Forest?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannaroo, I feel your pain. I cried a little when they tore down Z's Place. One less place for me to get some delicious jumbalaya.

All in all, positive though!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See this article for a rendering of University Village: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070716/M ETRO/707160308/1003

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great development. WSU is really going in the right direction. No more commuter-university. <313>

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, didn't Z's reopen on Piquette? Or am I confusing the two?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I'm not sure. Did it? Anybody know?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While they were diging they hit the basement walls of the vernors plant. Im sure that delayed it a bit but the footings are going in really quickly and I expect to see steel by the fall. I think this will be put up much like The Towers dorms were which were all prefab concrete. I used to see trucks lined up down 94 west loaded with prefab.

Detroit_stylin refer to this thread.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/107134.html?1184446788

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is a great development. WSU is really going in the right direction. No more commuter-university."

They aren't actually marketing this one to students...the developer is mainly going after professionals working downtown as well as a handful of graduate students, which seems to fit given the style, size and price of these units...

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z's Villa is on Piquette Street, just east of Woodward, on the north side of the street. Just down the street from the Model T Heritage complex.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction - Z's Villa is on the south side of Piquette. (I moved back here from Los Angeles a few years ago. I still get confused with directions here - Canada being to the south of the D.)

Detroit313

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, but the general term "Commuter-University" is coined because everyone, students and staff alike, have to drive. It's the overall aspect.

I like to look at WSU's larger picture and compare it to NYU in Manhattan, and Depaul in Chicago. <313>

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the building going to go all the way to forest or is there going to be a gap? I was really hoping it would go all the way, but driving by yesterday I noticed that the gas station is still there and open. It's hard to tell in the renderings because none of them seem to have Forest in them.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The gas station will remain.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3363
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is kind of a letdown for street aesthetics.

Detroit313

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CAR IS KING! <313>

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah the development plus the parking structure will be built up all around the gas station leaving an ugly little notch right on the corner. Bleh. Tear it down along with McDonalds and Churchs

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 338
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling that in time those auto-oriented establishments will go. I think the planning department should regard them as nonconforming uses (although I am not familiar with the city's attitude toward Woodward design standards)...if I was in charge, there'd be a complete overhaul! ;)

I have a great bird's eye view from my perch at Cathedral Tower, so I'll post some photos later.

I think the Ellington-style concept is good for Woodward, with the 0-setback and the curb cut driveway bisecting the building to access the parking in the rear. I just wish there would be more regard to greenery and landscaping like you would see in Chicago, NY, or Boston developments of this nature. There are large trees throughout, where the most we might get here is are a few half-dead street trees. I see it headed in the right direction though.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, all these years before all the new development, that gas station and those fast food joints managed to scrape a living in that area, where nobody else could or wanted to, giving students (like me, back in the day) a place to get gas and lunch. Now that there is some activity in the area, you demand they be torn down?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Who needs gas when your focus is dense, urban, walkable, transit-oriented community building? With all due respect to the automobile (which should be planned for as well)...I can get my gas from the concentrations of them strategically placed at the major freeway access ramps at Warren and Mack/MLK and I-75/Lodge. Places that, due to their nature are more suited for automobile service.

Also, Church's, McD's and all other fast food joints that take up gobs of space can lease retail space in a mixed use building like South Univ. Village or the Ellington, Willy's Overland, MidMed, etc...

(Message edited by Rocket City on July 27, 2007)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Gwyrah
Username: Gwyrah

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a union picketing the site right now. I think I saw their signs say "Local Jobs /Local workers".

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1699
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^funny how these union people claim to be all about community and what's fair and what's best for "us", but when they aren't the ones benefiting, we get, "Fuck those scab workers!"

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am i missing something? From the rendering it looks like the buildings are being developed right on Woodward. If the gas station remains while other portions of the development actaully come up to the sidewalk on Woodward, that doesn't seem to hurt too much.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the buildings will be right up on Woodward, and so will the gas station, so they'll basically be next to each other on Woodward (with the gas station just to the north). So yeah, not the end of the world, but eventually it would be nice if the land became valuable enough that the gas station could sell out and move somewhere else away from Woodward.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a standard gas station with a major setback, surrounded by unneccesary pavement. You said it will be right up to the street. Are they rebuilding?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4484
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed according to that rendering...the IS no gas station on the corner...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renderings can often stretch the truth about things like that.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.studio1apartments.c om/retail.php

The white void on the right hand side of the drawing is the gas station.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.