Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bel-Air Centre? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did the idea of building an Outlet Mall on the old Drive-In Come About? What's the history of the place. What it a big shopping Destination when it was first built? I know it's owned by one of the biggest MAll realtors Schostak.

Could you list all the shops that once had a location in the Mall (I know Toys/Kids R US, Big Lots, Farmer Jack, Target, Builder Square, Winklemans, HQ, Sally Beauty Supply, Sibley Shoes, 1/2 Card Shop, Fashion Bug, Dollar Bills, Arbor Drugs, McDonalds, OnePrice).

One more question is, why do people always brag about there's no Malls within City Limits when there's actually several (emphasis on Bel-Air).

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It had all the ingredients to succeed, but didn't. You can point to the St. Jean/Jefferson stip mall as another failure, unfortunately. It's less than five years old, and almost every business is gone or going (Sir's Pizza, the Wall Street coffee shop, Farmer Jacks).
I guess it's a case of be careful of what you wish for -- big retail developments often lead to big-box vacancies.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a whole lot of history to the Bel Aire Drive-In...and likely a whole lot of conceptions.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4956
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj920, that's why I'm so leary of the hyped Gateway Plaza at Woodward & 8 Mile.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still, the mystery I'm still trying to Figure out is if all of the Outlet Malls/Shopping Centers had all the ingredients to survive, why didn't they?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The One I'm trying to Figure Out is the Great capitalization Mystery.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're saying Malls like Eastland, Macomb, and possibly Oakland and Universal and even Eastgate killed it?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, I just remembered it had a Radio Shack as well and a Theatre Chain with Slightly higher quality in terms of Movie Screenings and Service overall.

Fnnm400
Username: Fnnm400

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to help you all out here, CRIME! I have a few friends involved in asset protection for some major retailers. Shop lifting as it was called back in the day and general crime problems are keeping retailers out of Detroit. I lived in Warren across from the Bel Air Center when it was built, it was a great place to shop, I wouldn't walk within a mile of that place now.
It is a shame but that is the truth of the matter.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One POSSIBLE thing that may have killed was the Location and the access to it.

For one, the Outlet Mall is in between two train tracks, one of which (the closest track) that has a train run every day around 3 PM.

Second, the ONLY way you Could access the Mall was on 8 Mile. The issue that may come into play is dealing with all the traffic on the street, making loops and what not just to get in and out, plus it was isolated from the area neighborhoods.

Out of everything however, the Main Thing that might have killed it (like majority of Detroit Retail) was the Service and maintenance of both the Center itself and the Stores inside of it.

These are just POSSIBLE reasons, nothing I would call the MAIN reasons.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"CRIME!"

They did have their own Private Security and Cameras in the lots.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4960
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I would tend to think that most people drive to strip malls. Not all, but most. And the spacing of traffic lights should have made it rather easy to get in and out with a vehicle. The few times I was there I had no problems getting in or getting out.

I do agree that it is rather isolated, and not near any neighborhoods. But that would probably only hurt the pedestrian crowd.

Are theatres still open? That was where Eminem had (for obvious reasons) his World Premier of "8 Mile".

Urbanize

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize, I would tend to think that most people drive to strip malls. Not all, but most. And the spacing of traffic lights should have made it rather easy to get in and out with a vehicle. The few times I was there I had no problems getting in or getting out."

Really, I think Traffic Lights would have made it easier.

Try getting in there going Westbound on 8 Mile During Rush Hour and Both Directions coming out and during rush hour or the 3 PM train.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1890
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are theatres still open? That was where Eminem had (for obvious reasons) his World Premier of '8 Mile'."

Yes the Phoenix Bel-Air is still open and doing just fine. It's Always packed on a Saturday afternoon.

IF y'all want to go to see a First Run Movie that's at a place within City Limits, The Phoenix is the place.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnnm400,

You mean to tell me you lived in warren across from Bel-Air...You have my sympathies.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^lol. That mentality right there tells me that a Gateway Park/Packed Merchants Row would not be successful.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Youre right Urbanize, I want to be a part of the solution.

But I lived in that area for most of my life and I know that area of warren very well. Any one who lived in that area of warren has no reason to talk about anything in the D.

Just a protective reflex.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:"It had all the ingredients to succeed, but didn't. You can point to the St. Jean/Jefferson stip mall as another failure, unfortunately. It's less than five years old, and almost every business is gone or going (Sir's Pizza, the Wall Street coffee shop, Farmer Jacks).
I guess it's a case of be careful of what you wish for -- big retail developments often lead to big-box vacancies."

I live on the east side and from what I can see the Shopping center on St jean and Jefferson is still alive with close to 20 Stores and Banks still open. Only a few stores have closed.Some have been replaced. This area is still alive and all it needs is someone to take over the FJ there,which I'm sure will happen soon.

Wil smith had his movie Premier The Pursuit of Happiness at the Bel Air.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.