Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » McGregor Library to re-open? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4739
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone posted this yet?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0713/REG/70713015/-1/woodward

4:39 pm, July 13, 2007

Highland Park’s elegant Beaux Arts-style McGregor Library on Woodward south of M-8 could reopen late next summer.

The library has been closed since 2002, the year after the city went into receivership. But the city and a collection of nonprofits have a plan to get it back in the books business.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope so as I spent many an evening and Saturdays there in the 50's/

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4966
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember former Preservation Wayne Executive Director Katherine Clarkson was a member of the board of that library, and took a few PW members on a tour of that place. It was awesome, with a lot of valuable artwork hanging on the walls.

She's living in Pennsylvania right now caring for aging parents. If anyone is still in contact with her, please let her know!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great news. McGregor is a stunningly beautiful building.
Did they ever get a new roof on it?

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, this is great news. It always made me sad to pass by that building after they closed ot down. I'll be happy to see it open again.

Do they need volunteers to help reshelve books or anything like that?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4741
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the finest designed building in Michigan as far as I am concerned. I know Tilton and Githens designed but Marcus Burrowes had some input.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6288
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! The McGregor Library is back.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.