Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Highland Park Water Woes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On WXYZ at 11:00 PM, there was a story about a family on Stevens St. in HP living next to a vacant home (that appeared to be fairly new construction.) There is water filling the home and spilling out of a window, and it has came to their home and filled their basement. Apparently the owner's daughter has called the water department, police, fire; the news stations and water dept. are the ones who showed up. The water dept. people came and could not locate the water main, and simply left. The part about the water dept. being unable to locate the water main reminded me of a previous discussion on this forum about Highland Park's water system: how it is an independent system and such. I remember going to a website which I cannot find now where there was a several page, photo illustrated tour of Highland Park's water department and where it was mentioned that they had incomplete maps of the water mains, and in some spots could not locate them. I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but now that shortcoming is clearly resulting in some real problems for residents.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is that site you were looking for.....

http://www.hpfolks.com/article s_2004/HPF_articles_2004/got_w ater_2004/index.html

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Stryker-I found that article very interesting. Highland Park is certainly an oddity within the Metro Detroit water system.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.