Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Vegas to Detroit and back » Archive through July 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, just made my annual trek back "home" to Detroit by car, and I gotta tell you, I'm wiped out. I've made that drive at least 50 times, and I swear this is the last one. Hello, Southwest Airlines?????

Drove there by the southern route (I-40, 44, 70 69 and 94) and back home via northern route (I-94, 80, 76, 70, and 15). Came across two fatal accidents, one in Tulsa, one near Gary. Saw four incidents of wrecked 18-wheelers and one burned up in Nebraska (State Motto: "We got plenty of nothin'")

Michigan in general, and Detroit in particular, were super. It's good to see the green of Michigan. We were downtown during the Breast Cancer Awareness walk, and it was great to see so many folks downtown.

From there it was up to Traverse City and a week with friends who have a cottage on the bay, and we left there sadly and facing that miserable trip back. But we're home, safe and sound, and we'll be back next year.

Any volunteers to pick me up at Metro?

Elviswithteeth
Username: Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ray...
I'm making my 1st drive to Vegas fro the Detroit area next week. I have a tentative route but what is the best scenic route. Also, quickest? Any suggestions?

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elvis, do you want scenery or speed? Because I'm afraid that short of driving through South Dakota (which would be WAY out of your way) there's not much scenery until you hit the Rockies.

My suggestion: take I-80 out of Chicago, to I-76 through Denver; I-70 out of Denver to I-15. It's pretty and a fairly straight shot, driving wise. But that route is very hilly.

I-80 across Wyoming to I-15 is also scenic (I've been told,) and not so hilly.

If you want to drive through the southwest, the southern route would be 94 to 55 to 44 to 40 (which also happens to be the old Route 66 route.) Then take state highways (93 or 95) up to Las Vegas.

But I've only driven to Detroit and back to the southwest twice, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a crazy road trip. I want to do it someday but I don't have a month to put together like that right now...

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me crazy then! LOL! I have always wanted to make a trip like this but I have always said..."if only I had the time I would...." I have the time and looking forward to venture.

No hidden agenda here just I'm in the process of moving. Moving to either Nevada or Arizona.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elvis, Evelyn's post is on the money. The I=80 route out of Chicago is quickest, and the drive through Colorado and Utah are absolutely spectacular. The only negative things on that route are passing south of Chicago (traffic can be ugly) and boredom in Nebraska and eastern Colorado on I-76. Let us know how you went and what you thought! -- Ray

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the advice... Approx how long will it take?

Ray1936

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make it in three days, but that's doing 800 miles on day one, 800 on day two, and 400 on day three. The southern route on I-40 is about 150 miles longer, but easier driving (minimum hills and curves). Speed limits in most states west of the Mississippi are 75 mph.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5396
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 drives it like a trucker. jjaba advises atleast a week and never in dead of summer.

Old US 66 is really great for some nostalgic stopping. Grab a guide book about the highway and map out a route. It is the Mother Road and worth it for the history.

As for pure scenery, jjaba likes Colorado, Utah route. Arizona is wonderful also. BUT NEVER IN SUMMER. TOO HOT!!!

jjaba also likes the US highways for a respite from the Interstates. Avoid Nebraska. It is the ugliest state in the Union, unless you savor black and white tv.

jjaba, travel advisor for the Forum, at your service.

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have made the trip one and a half times. The first time was last December, we drove there, and drove back a week later. Both times it took about 34 hours. We rotated drives and went non-stop.

The second time was in April, we drove out here, and are now here to stay. Again we went non-stop, rotating drivers, it took about 36 hours.

Both times we went through Nebraska, Colorado, Utah. Great views, Utah alone is worth the drive.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5398
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wsu98, welcome to The Forum. jjaba can't imiagineyou saw much, with the pressure to get there.

jjaba, Westsider.

Evelyn

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before driving through the southwest, I'd check the temperatures. It is the desert, but there's also high elevation to consider- once the sun goes down, it cools down fast. (Flagstaff, AZ isn't going to be nearly as hot as Phoenix.)

About driving time: I'm between Ray and Jjaba. It's a good four days of driving, if you can stand to drive all day. (I'm also the type of driver who is easily distracted by scenic overlooks and such.)

I'd also strongly suggest bringing enough music to listen to. No matter what route you take, you'll still find yourself in parts of the country without a decent radio station (or any, for that matter!)

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...I'll take any hot day over the cold. I have Sirius radio so that will be no problem as well.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I had Sirus radio in my car for my last trip, and it was a great accessory. One tires of Farm Reports on local radio quickly.

WSU98 is right on his view of Utah. You get a little humbled by the spectacular and colorful scenery. Be sure to top off your tank at Green River; there's no services for the next 103 miles. We also carry a cooler full of ice and bottled water for the trip. You never know when "stuff happens".

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been thru parts of Colorado but never Utah. I'm looking forward to that drive. Any suggestions on good stopping locations for the night along the whole drive?

Evelyn

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray's right, make sure to fill up on gas before crossing Utah. Towns are few and far between.

I'd also be curious to know what route you'll take, and what you thought of the drive.

And have you considered New Mexico as a destination? The weather's similar to Arizona or Utah, there's a good art scene, and the big cities aren't nearly so congested as Vegas or Phoenix.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can do it as a nice trip in 3 weeks. I've done it both ways, going straight though (you need two drivers but it is only about 33hrs)

If you have 2 drivers the best thing to do is maximize your trip is leave at Midnight and go straight through to Denver.(you’ll get to Denver at about 7pm) and you’ll miss all of the Chicago traffic. Go to your room and crash for the night, Spend a few days in Denver area go down to Colorado Springs Pikes Peak, leave there go to Aspen area in the mountains for a day or 2, then go to Vegas (about a 9hr drive)

Spend a few days in Vegas area. Drive to the LA area (5/6hr from Vegas depending on traffic) spend 3 or 4 days there drive down to san Diego spend a night or 2 there. if you want to see Phoenix. Take 8 if your in San Diego or 10 if you in LA across to it. get on 10 and cut though Dallas and take 35 up to Oklahoma City, Then take 44 though St Louis to 70, 70 to 69 and then 69 to 94. with a night or two in each city – there is stuff to see in Dallas and St Louis, you’ll drive though El Paso. Honestly Phoenix is nothing more than Novi or Troy with palm trees. I mean its truly a city without anything – it was founded there because it had water and that was pretty much it.

If you want to do it and in 2 weeks, Fly in and out of Denver, and make that your starting point, and cut out Dallas and St Louis.

I've done it at all times of the year, and early May and Sept are the best, Dec is the worst. Summer isn’t bad assuming you have a modern car with good tires (check your air pressure, too low and the tires get even hotter and blow) and A/C you can do it in July and not have any issues. Though it is interesting to look and see the outside thermometer at 127F Its hot when you get out of the car. Don’t really have the time to take those trips anymore, so I just fly out when I want to go, but you do miss a lot. Though what is sad is that everyplace is starting to look the same.

As Evelyn said Music will be key -- I would highly recommend a car with Sirius or XM if you rent one (if you leave from Detroit this is easy a 5,000-6,000 mile drive so don’t take your low mileage lease car)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I have been thru parts of Colorado but never Utah. I'm looking forward to that drive. Any suggestions on good stopping locations for the night along the whole drive?"

Most any place in Iowa would be a good stop. I've never seen a nasty motel in that state. Nebraska has sparse towns along the way, but Lincoln and Kearny have good places. Do avoid North Platte, which is somewhat like Ecorse, only without all the culture.

In Colorado, I'd avoid staying in Denver or immediate suburbs, but up the road are fine motels. Places like Vail and Aspen are in the four $$$$ range, but if you want to treat yourself to a magnificent setting, go for it. Grand Junction is also a good stop.

In Utah, my favorite place is the Best Western Hotel in Green River. Nice rooms, good restaurant on property, and beautiful balcony views of the Green River, which actually is usually pretty muddy.

One warning of something that pi**es me off. Beware the fast food signs in Nebraska that show a McDonalds, Burger King, or whatever at the next exit. In all too many places, once you exit the freeway, you'll see a sign with the company logo and an arrow pointing (left, right) and saying "3.5 miles". That's seven miles round trip down a 40 mph 2-lane road to some burg for lunch. If you can't see the restaurant from the freeway, don't exit. Nebraska is the only place I've come across this frustrating situation, and found it at three different exit ramps.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for all the useful information. I know the first couple days will be VERY boring. Took the check from Ford in Feb and replanting roots out west.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5400
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 proves what is in Las Vegas, doesn't always stay in Las Vegas. Use of the term "Vegas" is a pejorative and should be avoided. Avoid using "Frisco" also unless you mean a RR.

Ray1936 tells it like it tis about seeing before you exit. Towns way off the road advertise their services and it pisses you off when you wanna a 20 minute lunch and pit stop. No time in Nebraska is pleasant.

Old US 66 is well worth the time, if you have the time. It runs from Chicago to LA, with many thrills along the way. (Jackson @ Michigan Ave. in Chicago to Wilshire Blvd. at the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica, 2400 miles of pure exploration and joy.)

jjaba, At the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, driving on old US 66, you expect to see the Joad family car up ahead of you. At least in your mind. Many sections are still open and well worth a drive if you have the time.

Jjaba, what'cha doin' down there in the Canyon? I once walked half-way down Bright Angel Trail. That part was easy. Took most of the day to get back up, though.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want an absolutely spectacular drive though the Rockies and don’t mind taking two lanes roads, I would highly recommend taking US24 out of Colorado Springs west. (yes same us24 as telegraph) Take that to US285 and head south to US50 west toward the Blue Mesa Reservoir. Take US50 to Montrose and head south on US550, take US550 to Durango and get on US160 on US160 you can stop at Mesa Verda, and four corners, take us160 to tuba(sp?) and head south on us89 which will take you to I-40 and flagstaff, take I40 to Kingman and US93 north to get to Vegas. It will add about 3 days to your trip but parts of the trip look fake, it is that beautiful. Plus you get off into some of those smaller towns. You can do it all by the interstate but as others have said getting off the Interstates you will see a lot more -- I do recommend that when you on the 2 lane roads in the mountains and dessert never let your tank get under a 1/2 tank, have some snacks, lots of water, there is no telling where the next station is and when it is open -- your cell phone wont work at times but you will never forget it, it is very much worth it.

In Denver go to the Mint, if you go north to Ft Collins (about an hour) it is the Budweiser Clydesdales retirement center and they have tours of the brewery (as does Coors in Golden) the 16th street mall is nice place to go to at night, lots of bars and restaurants. If you not going right though to Denver I would try to get to Omaha or Lincoln to stop for the night, makes the next days drive shorter, and as others have said watch Nebraska, there is nothing past Lincoln, and there will be some nice smells along the way too.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I hope you waved went you drove thru Albuquerque (home of eternal freeway construction and maintenance), or at least stopped and had a green chile cheeseburger. We're about 18 miles north of the I-40 and I-25 intersection (or the 'Big I' as it's called here).

We've driven the trip between here and Detroit numerous times. It is 1,600 miles, and we usually do it in 2 days with an overnight in Joplin or Springfield MO.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any volunteers to pick me up at Metro?

Ray, I think we met a few years ago in Las Vegas for lunch with Dave Berman. If you're the Allen Parker, then you're the guy.
You fly, I'll pick you up. We live in Brownstown now, just 8 miles and 15 minutes from Metro.

Jim S.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks....yup, that's me. Berman is still mellow and doing fine.

Jim, I was just happy that there was no construction going on along I-40 especially around the I-25 interchange. It seems like that road work was going on forever, and I imagine all the folks your way are glad to see it done. By the way, they did a nice job, and some of the overpasses are works of art. Sorry I didn't wave. And no, I passed the green chile cheesburger for a Big Mac in Santa Rosa. My loss.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Berman is still mellow and doing fine.
Please give him my best. I lost track of him and the newsgroups he was/is in. My best to you as well. Jim S.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5402
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Japes, At Kingman, AZ., be sure to divert to Old US 66 after going to the powerhouse reception ctr. for souvenirs. West of Kingman, AZ to the Calif. line on old US 66 is a highlight. Just don't try to do it in an RV or long-ass SUV. No truckers ofcourse. This is a stretch where guys drove Okie pioneers in the 1930s in reverse since reverse had better traction through the mtns. and curves. It is like that today. Be sure to stop in Oatman, AZ after pissing in your pants over Sitgreaves Pass. Seligman, AZ is also a trip. The Drive-in there is world famous. You'll meet plenty of Germans on rented Harleys. They love AZ and the Mother Road.

Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona, Kingman, Barstow, San Bernadino. Get your kicks on Highway 66.

jjaba, Westsider.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On I-40 just east of US-93 at Kingman (the split to Las Vegas) is a highway cut that has revealed the most perfect textbook example of a geological fault line I've ever seen. Wish I had a photo of it, but I don't. The strata layers all drop six feet at one vertical point. Makes me want to go back to school to take geology every time I pass it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5408
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Las Vegas would be a very good place to learn about geology. There's plenty of rocks around there.

Has Ray1936 been to Oatman, AZ?

jjaba, Old Timey Detroit Times carrier.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 has indeed been to Oatman, where he fed the burros (contrary to BLM regulations, but what the heck).

I have taken some continuing education courses at UNLV on minerals and such that include field trips. Most enjoyable and enlightening. You're never too old to learn something.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah..Oatman... To many jackasses on the road and donkeys as well!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado (US-160) memories: My young, Michigan-born then-wife had never been west of the Mississippi. After learning for the first time of "runaway truck ramps," she trembled in the passenger seat at the possibility of running off the cliff by the edge of the road and inadvertently flying into that glorious vista where, at that altitude, you could barely perceive the curvature of the Earth. (It was a wide, safe, clear road, her anxiety entirely unwarranted.)

I'd like to think I gave her some courage and adventurousness on that trip.

Many years later, she mailed me back a rock from the Continental Divide that she saved from her trip back to Michigan. I still have that rock -- in Michigan. :-)

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray...
Did you get a chance to go by your old house in Rosedale Park? I placed a current photo of it on the Rosedale thread.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5414
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, jjaba once packed up a few rocks from Haleikala Volcano, Maui. Then the tourguide in the viitors' center told us about the curse of Pele'.

After he showed us the cartons posted from Iowa, Ohio, and Michigan of returned rocks, with letters citing bad luck, a number of us emptied our backpacks outside the door. It was a funny site.

Unless it was a crushed rock from the borrow pit, it is not a good idea to be recording your finds.

jjaba, loves the old highways.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! The curse of Pele. Yes, I've heard about that.

Well, if some Rocky Mountain spirit wanted to visit me, I'd welcome the experience. :-)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've picked up rocks from all over that are on my patio and in the yard. If I ever inventoried them, I'd probably have them from half the states (never been to Hawaii, tho!). If they've cursed me, they have been good curses.

I also have a jar of sand from a Lake Michigan beach (MI side, of course) topped by a petoskey stone on my desk.

The best souvenirs are the freebies.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wolf Creek Pass is wide and safe in the summer!! A buddy and I headed across it about ten years ago in the midst of a howling snowstorm...just before they closed it...him driving and me leaning out the window yelling "left, LEFT!!" as we got too close to the edge...that's how bad we wanted to get to Telluride for 3 days of skiing. I figured that the odds were 50/50 that we'd go over and they'd find us in the spring when the snow melted. We laugh today at the craziness of it. We were both old enough to know better.

Evelyn

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jiminnm, you also live in ABQ? Moved out here from Detroit about six months ago, I stay in the Nob Hill area.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5417
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, in Badlands and the Arizona Painted Desert they actually tell you on signs NOT to pick up rocks. Then, around the corner the Indians are willing to sell you a ton of it.
Ah, the ironies.

But not so in Maui. In Maui, don't touch the volcanic rocks. That hole you dug in the sand at South Haven Beach, Michigan in front of Fleischenberger's Hotel is still there. No curse if you return it some day.

Remember, what's in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas.
Wear gloves when extracting Strip asphalt. That schitt is hot in the summertime!!!

jjaba, beach patrol.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You better believe its hot. Im over the mountain from Vegas in California's High Desert, and the world's largest thermometer in Baker (not too far from Zzyzx Rd) is reading 116 degrees!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2494
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the heck do you pronounce Zzyzx Rd?!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zzyzx

Jimaz

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zzyzx

Ray1936

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was a hippie commune forty years ago, I understand. Don't know what's there any more, but you can't miss it when driving between LA and LV.

Reminds me that back in the 50s and 60s the last name in the Detroit telephone book was Zeke Zzzpt. Anyone remember that one?

Ray1936

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a grade on I-15 near Baker known as the Baker Grade. Man, is it rough on radiators in the summertime. Big signs suggest you turn off your a/c to make it easier on your engine. I never boiled over on that stretch, but I always worried about it.

Jjaba is right about the Vegas asphalt in the summer. Best way is to scoop a little with a putty knife and let it drip into a mayonaise jar for the trip home. It'll harden once it gets below 160 degrees F.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on June 30, 2007)

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alrighty...looks like I'm leaving Tuesday...

Jjaba

Post Number: 5419
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, is it true the Las Vegans don't gamble?
Or if they do, which games of chance are worth trying to win?

The Fremont Street Experience went in a few yrs. back. Is the downtown area holding its own?

Time for a local joke in Las Vegas,
"But it's a DRY heat!!!"

jjaba.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck, Elvis, and we're all expecting a trip report when you get there!

Be safe.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba wrote:
quote:

which games of chance are worth trying to win?

I've studied the mathematics of this quite a bit.

Craps and Blackjack are the games where a knowledgeable player is least likely to lose but you have to know what you're doing. For Blackjack, you need to memorize its Basic Strategy. For craps, just bet on the "Don'ts" with full odds. That's the best you can do.

If you'd rather not study, find a Mini Baccarat table and always bet on the Banker, never on the Tie. You'll have to pay a commission but even so, that's the best bet there.

Tip the dealers well just before leaving a table game. (Maybe a green $25 chip at a red $5 minimum table.)

Avoid the slots and Keno at all costs. (Although a very low denomination slot machine will set a limit on your loss rate).

Poker -- you're on your own.

To remember the order of the card suits, ª¨§©, remember that "Staying Drunk Cures Hangovers." :-)

(Message edited by Jimaz on July 01, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"To remember the order of the card suits, remember that "Staying Drunk Cures Hangovers.""

That sure wouldn't work well for bridge players, Jim. :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Well, that's the suit order in a fresh pack.

Some Las Vegans do gamble but typically not at the tourist casinos. These "local" casinos are often more competitive and so have games with more liberal rules.

Somehow I can't picture Jjaba actually playing at a casino. He seems too smart for that.

Good luck, Elviswithteeth!

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much! I'm a little nervous....on my next step on my career and life. Showing da house many o' times before I leave. Leaving sometime in da morning. My target would be Des Moines. Has anyone stayed @ Red Rocks or Green Valley Resorts? Thinking about spoiling myself and my wife when she flys out next week.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both are part of the Station Casinos group, Elvis, and you can't go wrong at either one. I've not stayed at Green Valley, but I frequent the place often and it's top notch without the phoniness of some of the strip joints.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ray, thanks so much for the info. Which is a better location? Thanks again for all the insight! ALL ABOARD! Nevada or Bust!

Jjaba

Post Number: 5424
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba doesn't gamble but he gives a buck or two to anybody going to Las Vegas. The instructions are simple.
Put the dollar in Big Bertha for one pull. Whatever comes out, give it to jjaba.

jjaba's luck has been pretty good. Most people are honest and return to me $2 to about $6.
jjaba has never won a jackpot.

jjaba thinks the physical location, the heat, and the bareness of Las Vegas to be so uninviting he has seldom been there. He much prefers the natural but for conventions, or transfers from National parks, jjaba has been there.

He likes the Holiday Inn-Eldorado, close to the strip but a hotel with no gambling and quiet. They have airport pick-up and you can walk the rest or take the bus. Parking in front of your room is free. I even think you get a small breakfast but it has been a few yrs. Book ahead for best prices. They are glad to see ya.

If you must, there is a small casino next door, frequented by local people. There are plenty of local folks willing to chat you up there.

jjaba has discovered Lindy's in Hilton Hotel and New York New York also has Jewish Deli. Both were ok, not anything like New York, Chicago or Detroit, but ok.

The older casinos on Fremont St. are worth looking at, but the noise is all the same and as disgusting as Motor City. The neon signs in the Fremont St. area are kinda fun for nostalgia.

jjaba, on the Dexter bus heading West.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hi Ray, thanks so much for the info. Which is a better location?"

Both are in good locations; Red Rock being towards the northwest and Summerlin, while Green Valley Ranch being in the southeast and Henderson. Green Valley is right off the I-215 Freeway which makes it fairly easy to get to any part of town; Red Rock a little remote from a freeway.

Jjaba, the Fremont street casinos are really going downhill. Binion's Horseshoe, once the premier spot downtown, has really turned junky since the Binion family bailed out. Sad.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 908
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, Fremont is still nicer than it was before they put up "The Experience" and closed the street to cars though, isn't it? I thought it was getting pretty seedy at that point, and that the Fremont Street Experience renovations cleaned the area back up a bit.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5426
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, post your email. jjaba will mail you a buck for the Big Bertha closest to your house.
Then, we can announce what jjaba won with the profits back to me. He gets one pull.

Anything over $10,000, jjaba throws in a tank of premium gas for your troubles.

jjaba, LOL, last of the big spenders. Feeling lucky, jjaba boards the Dexter bus.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RDown3657@cox.net, jjaba.

Yeah, I gamble a little. My best hit was $10,000 for a buck bet on a keno machine (hit 8 out of 8); numerous $2,500 hits, and I have no idea how many $1,000 hits or better on video poker. Seems like nearly every year I have at least one W-2G to include on my income tax figuring.

I don't play much blackjack and don't roll the dice at all. Little Pai-Gow now and then.

Big bertha machines are pretty much a thing of the past. I have no idea where any might be located; I think all have been retired. But we can try a Keno ticket for ya.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burning Man is further north in Nevada in August and even stranger than Las Vegas. Its a change of pace from cutting the lawn with all the humidity.

http://www.burningman.com/part icipate/you_are_burning_man.ht ml
http://images.burningman.com/

Jjaba

Post Number: 5429
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Ray1936, glad you'll be jjaba's bookie.

No I lay me down to slumber
pray the lord I'll hit the number
If I die before I wake
put a dollar on 408.

jjaba, Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5431
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, why is N. Las Vegas one of the top 10 foreclosure cities?

Please chime in on Foreclosure thread. Detroit has four of top zip codes. Two on Westside, two on Eastside.

jjaba, 48238.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 216
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N. Las Vegas is known for having many of the low-income areas within the Las Vegas Valley. However, that ZIP on the list is filled with newer homes, and is considered a "good" or "nice" area because it is north of Craig Rd (Ray correct me if Im wrong). Im wondering if the people in foreclosure were trying to speculate or flip and got caught on the wrong end.

It is hot here in the Mojave...Death Valley is close to record temps (129 today) and its about 115-120 up here between Barstow and Baker.

Jimaz

Post Number: 2526
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig Rd is the southern boundary of the 89031 ZIP code area.

(Message edited by Jimaz on July 04, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LtTom and Jimaz took the words out of my mouth, Jjaba.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in Des Moines tonight!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2529
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Aren't wireless motels great?

Happy trails to you, Elvis! :-)

Bring back some stories.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wireless motels indeed! Long day tomorrow though! Hoping to make Denver! Who knows!

Jimaz

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elvis Sans Teeth

Jimaz

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked to stay at the Cameron Motel in Denver SW of E. Evans and I-25. It's nothing special, low budget and built like a bomb shelter but interesting. The night manager was a dwarf from Nepal with a masters in CompSci. He was very intelligent, very helpful.

(Message edited by Jimaz on July 05, 2007)

Jimaz

Post Number: 2532
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denver

Jjaba

Post Number: 5433
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elviswithteeth, two tips in Denver.

1. On Hamden near Quebec, Matzoh Ball soup and a corned beef sandwich. Try the #8, the Milton Berle. The place is called New York Deli News.

2. Go to Red Rocks Theater. It is quite a WPA venue where so many stars play. jjaba prefers going during the day. It's quiet and you can walk right on stage.

jjaba, Travel consultant for Elviswithteeth.

Elviswithteeth

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jjaba,
I have been to Colorado many o' times for I used to work for @ Fords and CO was one of testing area because of the altitude. I'm staying in Lakewood. Been to Red Rocks as well.
Thanks again,
Da 'Kang

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just reading this post and I cannot wait for my trip in September. I will be flying though, not driving.

I go out to Vegas about once every other year. I always stay Downtown (Fremont street). Normally stayed at the Lady Luck, but it is closed so this time staying at the 4 Queens.

I normally rent a car while in Vegas and I have to say that has to be one of the worst places to drive.

Ray1936

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ain't bad if you dodge the strip, Imhere. And by the way, the Four Queens is probably one of the best places on Fremont street now. Equal to the Golden Nugget, in my view. Our retired Detroit Police club meets there every other month, and the service we get is outstanding.

Elvis....tomorrow you go up hill and up hill until you hit the Eisenhower Tunnel. Then it's downhill for a ways....but up hill again to Vail Pass. Seems like you're never gonna get there. But once over Vail, you're free and clear for the most part.