Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Whats the best restaurant in the eastern market? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 479
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the best restaurant in the Market and why?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit evolution laboratory because it is the only place in town with good veggie food

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So hard to say. Being price conscience as a student I normally say good things about Zeff's because of the bargain (you pay literally twice as much for food that's not as good at Angelo's in Ann Arbor).

Russell St. Deli is actually still on my to-do list.

Farmers and Roma are staples.

I can't make up my mind. Anything with corned beef works for me.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its's hard to say there is a "best". They are all pretty awsome in there own way. Just depends on what your in the mood for.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Louie's Ham and Corned Beef.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2398
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love The Butcher's Inn!! Delicious breakfasts!!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vivios,butchers inn, Meatcutters inn.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the few things I miss about living downstate, eating, walking, shopping at Eastern Market, truly a gem!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9696
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bert's After Hours.

Of course, the competition is less then...

I second Skipp's opinion, there is no best restaurant in Eastern Market, unless you're vegan.

Cheers on Chitaku reminding us of the cool, new place that I want to check out when I get back from Florida...my neighbor has already joined their group.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 814
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VIVIO'S

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4025
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russell Street Deli for lunch and soup. Sala Thai thumbs up.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

roma cafe, oldest anyway

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku,

Thanks for the heads up on the lab. I wish I had read this thread sooner. I was just downtown for the Jazzfest kickoff. Does anyone know when they are open? Their website seems to be missing restaurant hours.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for Butcher's. Haven't been there for anything but breakfast though

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roma Cafe is best in all of Detroit IMHO...and best pasta sauce in all of metro Detroit

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9779
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just recently in Texas and saw a guy wearing a Vivios shirt at the airport. After leaving i came across a group of 4 people all wearing Tigers hats. I got a nice little laugh at the welcome wagon being rolled out for me.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivios...although for a cheap, good breakfast, try Zeff's. Russell Street seems a little pretentious to me. Butcher's is trying to make a go under their new ownership and deserve support.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9782
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One often overlooked place if you want sandwich and soup but aren't worried about atmosphere is Milano Bakery. They make some great soups and sandwiches.

Gannon

Post Number: 9832
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to forget Milano exists.

Don't even drive past it on purpose.

Their brownies are to die for, and I am addicted to them...so I just stay away.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milano,and Sala Thai YES.....

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, I had breakfast at Zeff's one morning and had a young couple giving me looks like they wanted to KILL me because I was smoking a cigarette. I could see that at a nicer place, but at Zeff's coney? I propose that if we're going to tax smokers, some of that money should go to handing out valiums to nonsmokers. They look really uptight!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5680
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a toss up between Sala Thai and Roma Cafe for me but a lot of it depends on what I'm in the mood for that day. Both have great ambiance and the service has always been top notch.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the ribs and "Oh My God" burgers and karaoke at Burts. Just watch it when you pay: about 1/3 of the time they try to get me for an extra dollar. But the food is very very good.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter and I since she was little would go to Zeffs for breakfast every Saturday after her dance class. Now that she's a teenager we still go and everyone knows us there. But I do love Burts burgers. Where is this detroit evolution laboratory, my daughter is going vegan on me and I'd like to take her one weekend.

Gannon

Post Number: 9836
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a street-level storefront on the south side of Gratiot just east of Russell...the signage was small, but clear.

I'll check with my next-door neighbor Rob about contact information, my understanding is they are going to have cooking classes and a catering-type service, too.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 4:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitevolution.com

myspace.com/detroitevolution

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku- Is the detroitevolution as good as Karmic was when it started?

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 464
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike's Coney and Pita in the bright yellow building next to Bert's. Great breakfast and lunch specials. I eat there at least once a week. I would go there more, but it's out of my way. Usually stop on my way to Windsor for work. They have great patty melts with fries and a soft drink for only $5! When I am feeling healthier I love their salad with grilled chicken. The customers are mostly regulars like "everybody knows your name", but everyone feels welcome. I like watching the 12:00 news and reading the paper at the counter while eating lunch. Smoking is allowed, but rarely do I see a smoker. Hint: Don't sit in the window in front of the grill. When you get back to work, you smell like you've been working at a fast food place!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.