Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Incinerator « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone recommend an informative and non-polemical account of this history of the Detroit incinerator. I believe that during the energy
crisis of the Nixon Administration, there were
suggestions that burning trash could generate energy. Most cities wanted no part of that experiment. However, I think that the federal administration may have given a $25 million bonus to a city willing to experiment with burning trash. The result was the eventual erection of the now infamous Detroit incinerator.
Is there a good source of information about the development of this project?

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look up Covanta Energy, they currently own the facility. You may be able to find a history or a link. Good Luck

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a partially-related note, the garbage there sure is stinkin' up midtown tonight.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5863
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link to the Covanta Energy profile of the site:

http://www.covantaholding.com/ site/locations/covanta-michiga n.html

Cybersanford
Username: Cybersanford

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to call that stinky piece of crap "Coleman's Crack Pipe!"

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 206
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's our gift to Windsor. Their smoking ban does not include exports from the D.

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I remember reading somewhere that Philip Morris has a contract with the city through 2009(?) to burn trash there. Due to a clause in the contract, the city can't institute any recycling programs. Anyone else heard of this?

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.recycledetroit.com/

I am not as knowledgeable on the subject as these people. I am sure if you send out an e-mail, they can provide more information.

Coleman did not see recycling being successful in the City so went the incinerator route. DTE and Phillip Morris own the incinerator. The City is paying them for it. One contract goes until 2009 (maybe Steam) the other contract (electricity) goes until 2024 I think. Or if you prefer, e-mail me at ah9191@wayne.edu and I can pass it along to someone who knows the specifics and that can back it up.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.