Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Just returned home to Boston from my first trip to Detroit. » Archive through July 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lobsterpots
Username: Lobsterpots

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Detroit for a whole week.
It was a very interesting and enlightening experience.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell us more, what'd you do?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9703
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...pics? Links?

Don't be such a tease, 'pots!

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what did you do? Did you happen to take the downtown tour of Detroit.. I am curious I had a alot of people on the tour this weekend.. And I am curious to see if you made it on one of our tours.. sorry if I didn't know everything.. But there is SOO much history and knowledge about detroit I learn more every day..

thanx,
dan

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1943
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that was very brief and a "fork in the road" like description of your trip.

Did you finds interesting things that you hate more about Detroit or love more about Detroit?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet it is a rumor that it was a very interesting and enlightening experience.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 612
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a long-winded description.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to take her to Disney or Hersheypark, but weve done that over and over it seems. So I told her about Detroit and she was so excited, and I was too.
It started out at the Avis car rental. I messed up the reservation, and we arrived late because of the severe storms last thursday kept us on the tarmac in Boston for two hours. When we got to the Avis car rental, it was pointed out that I had booked the reservation for July of 2008! Crystal at the desk, got us in a car anyhow, and she was very very accomodating and friendly. The We stayed at the Inn on Ferry St. They were sooo nice there. the rooms were great, and I actually got a chance to meet the owner as she was watering the plantings by our room. I talked to her and she told me the story on how she bought the buildings and renovated them under a non-profit organization. Our room was right there on john R It was the carriage house. She told us that next time we could have an upgrade to a better room, but let me tell you, I find it hard to believe that they could possibly have even better. We had a delicious buffet breakfast each morning in the main guest house, and I have never met such a more friendly staff, from the housekeepers to the desk clerks.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter had never had a white castle burger, for some reason we do not have them in the Boston metro area. so we went to the one on Woodward not far from the hotel. She was hooked. and seemed to be fascinated with using the outer lane where the food comes down the chute.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 544
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odd

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to the Ren Cen....talk about LUXURY....the have valet in the front and you can pick up your car at any of the four exits. There is a breathtaking green glass sculpture that flanks both sides of the entrance. It is magnificent modern art. The valet was so nice, the security guard at the entrance greeted us like we were celebrities. We took the last daily tour (4:30PM) of the facilities. We went up to the restaurant observation deck. My daughter made a video of the ascent to the top. The tour guide pointed out Belle Island, and the Penobscot bldg, the stadium, and many of the surrounding areas. They have these giant "martini" chairs which are so cool, we both took goofy pics. of us sitting in them.
Then we checked out the new GM cars and took pics of us sitting in them, and then went for a stroll along the riverwalk. It was a beautiful day. Just my daughter and I taking in the scenery.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2520
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

odd? just different - like the time a Bostonian asked me to get a slice for him while at the store and I asked "A slice of pizza?"
We didn't have Slice here yet.

Different parts of the country can be a culture shock.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Roma Cafe. TWICE we liked it so much! The portions are HUGE. The food was wonderful. We checked out Eastern Market. As a shopper, the food prices seemed very reasonable.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you happened to see a maroon ford escape Avis car rental with Colorado plates driving erratically around Campus Martius area at various hours of the day and evening...well it was us, and we thank you for your understanding and patience. We opted for the portable navigation thing so it made it alot easier.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, White Castles are a Midwest and Hudson Valley Restaurant.

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip though. I hope you're coming back to visit soon.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 29, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

driving erratically around Campus Martius area at various hours of the day and evening

lol, like many natives!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate you sharing your experiences, and choosing to come here over other places where most tourists think of. I think much the same way as you. I want to see the cities that not everyone thinks to go to, because each one has a history and a story, and different culture.

Detroit is trying to make itself into a place where lots of people will want to visit, but until then, we rely on people who are truly interested like you. You spent a week? That's great.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We visited the Science museum. We went to see our body the universe within. It was fascinating. we spent quite some time seeing the exhibit, in fact, it is so large, that it took two sections of the museum. It is a must see.

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went to Boston-Edison, as my daughter seem to share an interest in looking at mansions. I took her to Newport RI many times over the years and she always enjoyed it. so we parked on Boston Blvd, and walked around. What a magnificent neighborhood. We also took a drive through Sherwood Forest? not sure if that was it.. We drove up woodward and got on Ponchetrain? went by a park on the right, and the neighborhood was on the right was that Sherwood Forest..many of the homes looked like english castles.

Gannon

Post Number: 9706
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah-h, Roma. Roughly a hundred feet or so from where I usually rest my head...but I've been in Florida for the last week.

Who did you have wait on you? I'm friends with Dave...he's a hoot.

Thanks for visiting, and sharing your experiences.

Cheers!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the innkeeper at the Ferry st. place told you, but those homes were purchased and restored by the University Cultural Center Association, under the direction of Sue Mosey. It was a very large project, more than a couple of B&B operators could have thrown together.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the uCCA website:

The Inn on Ferry Street
UCCA and the Detroit Institute of Arts worked together to renovate four historic mansions and two carriage barns into a 42-room boutique hotel which opened for business in November 2001. The homes are located on E. Ferry between Woodward and John R. Project. Over twenty-four sources of financing were secured in order to restore these beautiful Victorian mansions for public use. The UCCA is the managing member of the Inn on Ferry Street Development Company. Total investment: $8.5 million.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2523
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

under the direction of Sue Mosey

...who just happens to own the Inn (more exactly - is the managing member of the LLC that owns the Inn)

(Message edited by lilpup on July 30, 2007)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Pots that was the Sherwood Forest/Palmer Woods area you drove through. Sherwood Forest is a Historic District now. It was developed in the 1910s and 1920s and meant to look like an English village. The park area you drove through was the Detroit Golf Club on the left and Palmer Park on the right.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey LOB!...did you see anyone get beaten, stabbed, or robbed!....if not, what a wasted Detroit trip!

blksoul-atcha!

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady who was gardening said her name was Sue, she was very nice.

Gannon

Post Number: 9710
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Xsoul-less...way to crap on a fun thread.

Keep your ghetto down around company, couldja?!

Lobsterpots

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have ghetto here in Randolph, MA. google search Randolph, MA and shooting. youll get the story of two fatal shootings in July..a mile from my home. It's these kids...they don't know know to deal with their anger and they get ahold of guns. I felt safe in Detroit MI... Safe enough to bring my only child. There are bad people everywhere. We found nothing but good people in Detroit. What a great city. .I'll tell you more tomorrow if you want. It was certainly good times and FINE people. We will never forget our trip to Detroit. Peace

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsterpots...

Thanks for visiting our city. I'm glad we ended up putting our best foot forward for you. If I have one request, it is this. Please go out and "spread the good news" about Detroit to others...and please come back to visit us again.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, you're talking about Detroit, MICHIGAN, right?

Seriously, too bad more people can't "roll the dice" and make Detroit a destination.