Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Not specifically Detroit, but more Michigan related Q... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can I find information on Michigan's layout of townships, cities, villages, etc? If I'm remembering correctly, the townships were laid out in a grid pattern, right? But what I want to know is how were city limits determined, what is a village vs a city, etc.

Can cities be part of townships or does one begin where another one endes?

And lastly, I notice on some maps (I was looking at a map of Holland where my family is from), and noticed what appear to be inlays within the city limits itself. In this particular instance, I see Graafschap existing right smack in the middle of the city of Holland itself. Are these neighborhoods of Holland? Small cities surrounded (like highland park?), old cities that were consumed by Holland? I'm not sure I understand.

And lastly, I know postal names and actual geographical names can be different, but I'm wondering why my grandparents (who live on lakeshore drive along lake michigan) have a Holland address when they're far outside the actual city itself. I believe the house is either in Park Township or Port Sheldon Township. Do they live in Holland or do they live in one of these townships? Does the post office not use township names?

Guess I'm just confused. Moved away when I was a little kid, and every place I lived after that was either a town/city, or just not incorporated. I've never been familiar with the township system in Michigan (do other states use it?) and am trying to understand how it works, as well as the Graafschap I mentioned.

The map I'm looking at is: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_res ult?q1=holland%2C+mi You can see Graafschap, Pine Creek, Ottawa Beach, Macatawa all in light red that appear to be within Holland city limits.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome81 - the reason for the confusion is that you're mixing geography with political boundaries and zip code boundaries. Here's a quick and dirty rundown but there are good resources online that explain this in better details.

Much of Michigan was laid out in survey townships which are roughly 6 miles by 6 miles square. In many cases (but not all), political townships were formed along the same lines. There are many exceptions to both but as a general rule, many Michigan townships exist along the lines of the survey townships.

Over time, cities and villages developed and incorporated. Originally, these incorporations were done by acts of the legislature. With the development of home rule, voters were allowed to vote to incorporate an area into a city or village. Today, the State Boundary Commission has to approve Home Rule City and Village incorporation before they are approved by the voters. When these places were incorporated, the boundaries for the city or village were established. These boundaries are not constrained by the boundaries established by the townships, either geographic or political.

In Michigan, every place belongs to either a city or township, never both. Every city exists separate from the surrounding township. When a city or cities cover an entire township, the township ceases to exists (Pontiac Township, Avon Township and Nankin Township are some Detroit area examples). Villages are different. They overlay a portion of a township or townships but village residents are both residents of the village and township. For example, Southfield Township still exists although 99% of it is covered by the Villages of Franklin, Bingham Farms and Beverly Hills. There's still a township government for those 3 villages that exercises certain duties as required by state law.

Generally, township areas do not exist within city limits. According to the Michigan Supreme Court, it's illegal to create township islands within a city. But they exist all over the state although I don't think that's the case in Holland. Ann Arbor is a good example. It has dozens of islands of township jurisdiction within the city. There are portions of Ann Arbor township that are miles separated from the portion of the Township outside the city limits.

Places like Graafschap exist in name only. They may have been a neighborhood name or an old post office or place that was once a bustling crossroads. But they are not legally organized as either a city, village or townships. There are probably thousand of places like it across the state. There are a few enclave cities like Highland Park but they are the exception, not the rule.

As far as the post office, they create their own service boundaries. Typically, the name goes to the largest area served, which is the city or village. Only recently have Township names been adopted by the post office in urban areas. The post office boundaries rarely correspond exactly with the political boundaries which is why your parents can live far outside the Holland city limits and still have a Holland PO. Where you pay taxes is the political jurisdiction you live in. Where the post office says you live is simply the post office which first processes your mail.

(Message edited by Novine on July 31, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of your questions have been answered here: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/105152.html

Political subdivision hierarchy:

City
^^
Village
^^
Township
^^
County

Any specific parcel of land will be located in either a township, village/township or a city. Townships, Villages and Cities have specific boundaries to define the area from which they can collect taxes and deliver services.

Villages are created from a portion of a township, but have limited taxation powers and still rely on the township and county for certain services.

A city is created by "incorporating" a village, a township or any portion of either or any combination of both. The former village and/or township would no longer collect taxes or deliver services within the city boundaries, since that is the responsibility of the city and it must be shown to be capable of doing so before it is allowed to incorporate.

A mailing address uses the name of the local post office which provides the delivery service. Sometimes the post office name matches the name of the political subdivision where the residence is located, but the less populated an area is, the greater the likelihood that the mailing address will be different.

(Message edited by Mikeg on July 31, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2787
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may help too: Administrative divisions of Michigan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.