Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Can Ernie Harwell save Tiger Stadium? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess this is the time for putting up cash or shutting up as far as saving part of Tiger Stadium.
You can't have a better guy go to bat for you than Ernie Harwell!
Seeing how no one else has come up with a plan with money on the table, this is a final opportunity to salvage part of The Corner.
No other city has tried this and it would certainly be a tourist attraction.
Can they pull this off?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt it.

Gotta hurt Ernie to realize he is a very old man (what about 90?) and besides his legacy as a Tiger's broadcaster, they're about to tear down the one place that at which he will forever be associated. That's gotta sting to realize that future generations will be able to hear Ernie say "the corner" and yet they will go to Michigan and Trumbull and there will be nothing to tie it all together.

I hope they can save something, just as a memory. But I really really doubt it.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Administrator, please add this to the "Tiger Stadium to be demolished...finally" thread.

I think Jt1 sums up my feelings on the situation in the first "sub-thread" (if that's a word) under that thread.

If it's so important now, why wasn't something done sooner? Look, I love the place as much as anybody, but so many "plans" have been proffered without adequate funding, resources etc., that I think it's time to move on.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like they (Ernie's lawyer and company) are just going to end up being the financial backers of the Tiger Stadium Conservancy plan.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1521
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw you trainman you spamming SOB

Fordaspiregv
Username: Fordaspiregv

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Trainman,

We don't want Smart in Livonia buddy. The voters spoke, and now its your time to quit spamming the boards with it.

The Fenton stop has plenty of room, you could buy a home in the Castleford sub and have it right at your door. I used to live over there, its nice.

I will go back to lurking...

(Message edited by fordaspiregv on July 31, 2007)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 474
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buses and baseball go together like apple pies and America.

SMART left Livonia primarily because of the illegal DARTA and the mis-quided efforts of transit advocates.

Maybe it's time to vote NO next August 2010, to let SMART know that the the loss of state money for the crippled and the handicapped is immoral?

Jesus Christ and baseball go together also.

I't our right to protect the handicapped and they should have bus service to the baseball games.

Shame on you posters for not standing up for the rights of the handicapped.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 472
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jesus Christ and baseball go together also...
Shame on you posters for not standing up for the rights of the handicapped."

oh my GOD, are you kidding me trainman?!! it's one thing to contantly bogart threads like you do, but i think you've gone a little too far with that comment...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Ernie ride SMART?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 486
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/ news/archives/2007/07/harwell_ marshal.html

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just tear it down please......

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been said that Mike Illitch is the main man behind tearing it down because it could be saved and that may entice another ball team to play there. This way if it's torn down, he doesn't have to worry about any competition. It may or not be possible that Detroit could support two major league teams.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no problem with another major league team playing there. Mike has territorial rights.
A minor league team or local teams could play there though.
A think some spammer has gone off the tracks.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no problem with another major league team playing there. Mike has territorial rights.
A minor league team or local teams could play there though.
I think some spammer has gone off the tracks.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF anything, Detroit needs 2 Football Franchises before 2 MLB Franchise. Although, Detroit could get a Minor League Franchise Started and able to play at TS.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5009
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This "build the new, tear the old one down" mentality has been around for a long time.

Back when NYC built Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in the 1960's (which included the New York Met), folks were trying to preserve the old opulent 1883 built Metropolitan Opera House. But the Lincoln Center board fought tooth and nail to get the old Opera House razed (which sadly, it was), so there wouldn't be competition.

This same scenario has played out across America for decades.

Trainman

Post Number: 475
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it should stay.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5487
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok makes theater analogy. Perfect.
Look how many theaters in Detroit are long gone too. Cass Tech. is another example ofthe demise of a once-great city.

jjaba, Westsider.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Although, Detroit could get a Minor League Franchise Started and able to play at TS.

Great idea Urb. Let's get the West Michigan Whitecaps (A) to relocate from Comstock Park, MI to Detroit!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can Ernie Harwell save Tiger Stadium?

No. The time for this was eight years ago if not earlier. Besides, Ilitch doesn't want Tiger Stadium to survive, so it won't.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/C OLUMNIST17/70803032/-1/NEWS07

Trainman

Post Number: 481
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernie should save SMART but getting the large buses back to Livonia.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 838
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a largely deserted section of Detroit will have one more vacant lot.

Pffft, written like a man who has never been to Detro- what that?! Lessenberry?! He wrote that? Obviously Dr. Jack needs to check out Corktown. If a few empty storefronts (that understandably closed when the ballpark did) is his definition of "largely deserted," how the hell does he describe the rest of our fair city?

Trainman

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saving the stadium is a smart idea. Tearing it down will just mean another empty lot. Detroit is just like Livonia because the top local government leaders do not care about workers who struggle to support their families.

Both Detroit and Livonia need to cut back of expenses and work to improve their cities instead.

Or, both cities will just see more people moving out.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting read. I for one hope Tiger Stadium is not added to this list.

http://sports.espn.go.com/trav el/columns/story?columnist=cap le_jim&id=2958298

Larry
Username: Larry

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to get the demolition crew drunk and then send them to Comerica.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.