Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Schostak's preliminary plans for the Royal Oak "Gateway" site » Archive through July 31, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 302
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As found on http://www.schostak.com

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1964
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm hoping this has nothing to do with the one on 8 Mile and Woodward (I mean in terms of them relocating the whole project).

It's not a bad preliminary concept though.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an inspiring design and use of land.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this is Gateway Plaza, not the development on 8 Mile and Woodward.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 303
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like they gave up on a mixed-use project for that site. I'm a bit disappointed.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That appears to be an Inifiniti G front and center... don't they know this is Detroit?

ETA: Well not really center, more like left.

(Message edited by iheartthed on July 31, 2007)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

all those grand plans reduced to a health club????

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All these years, all the plans submitted and rejected and we're getting...LA Fitness??????

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What an inspiring design and use of land."

I hope this is sarcasm. What a complete waste of some of the most valuable real estate in RO or SE Michigan for that matter.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an inspiring gateway! It says, "Plenty of free parking here"!

Absolutely terrible layout with respect to Woodward and Washington Avenues. You wouldn't think either was a very important street.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But it's not just an LA Fitness... it's a *ginormous* LA Fitness with an acre of parking.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2340
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent. Will make the traffic clusterfuck all worthwhile.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 930
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All L.A. Fitness centers look alike. There is one going up at Maple/Telegraph and another in Troy.

Don't these people know we are out of shape and like it that way?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1593
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which is why I never get off 696 at Woodward to begin with...

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, gotta love the clusterfuck over there...now it will soon become an uber clusterfuck. they really could have had some kind of nice park over there, too...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are reacting to the reality of the situation. The kind of mixed use development many of us would prefer to see on that site only makes sense in a functioning urban environment, which southeast Oakland County is not.

If you want to see the kind of density and mixed use that some of us refer to as "transit oriented development", you have to first have decent transit.

Since we don't, we will get here where we get everywhere: a stand-alone single-use facility surrounded by a moat of parking. This is what we have chosen for our region.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aahhh--the geography (and architecture) of nowhere in particular. They must not have been able to attract:

Subway
Starbucks
Radio Shack
Baskin Robins
Smoker's outlet
UPS store
Baja Fresh
Wireless toys
Jackson-Hewitt tax
Kinko's

Do they need that many parking spaces with all of the housing nearby?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 992
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That site would have made a good transit station.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notice the redevelopment plans for Wonderland are also on here.

http://www.schostak.com/portfo lio/wonderland_village.html

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1753

hahahahahahhahahahahah!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice...that plot of land has been vacant for far too long

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Notice the redevelopment plans for Wonderland are also on here."

75% of the actual buildings for the Wonderland Village site are already up...I'd say just driving by would give you a better idea what this one will look like than simply looking at a rendering

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2222
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For such a high profile corner, that's a really disappointing and dumb project. Has this design been approved by the city?

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to sound like an echo of everybody else on here, but damn that's a lot of parking!

And BVos, there has not yet been a final site plan approved.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9667
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a great design ... to poop on.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2346
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've been promising to build on that site since I moved here in 1994. We'll see.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They are reacting to the reality of the situation. The kind of mixed use development many of us would prefer to see on that site only makes sense in a functioning urban environment, which southeast Oakland County is not."

Come on - drive up Main Street and see buildings with retail on the first floor and residential and/or office on the second and above.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 870
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a completely uninspired design and utilization of the site.
Blech!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... I mean, it is at 696 and Woodward. What else could they put there without being supported by a sea of parking? I agree that it would have been a perfect place for a transit center (maybe a commuter rail station), but I guess first you'd need a transit system, no?

Drive your fat butt right up to the door of the gym fitness center, walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes, hop back in your car and speed down Woodward to the nearest McDonald's, Arby's, Wendy's or Burger King. Talk about efficiecy!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine, all of the buildings you mention on Main Street were built in the very distant past. Royal Oak used to have light rail, you may know. I don't know of any building of that type built in that area in the past thirty years.

New developments tend to look, in a region such as ours, like this one. I'm not saying I like it; I don't, I'm just saying developers are realistic.