Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Fireplugs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we're discussing just about every other utility, I'd just like to bring up fire hydrants. They're marked with years, and hold all sorts of clues. I'd argue that they are the most stubbornly persistent feature of the urban landscape, last to be ripped out, first to be fixed.

How unlikely are they to be ripped out? Look at the southbound service drive of I-75 between Mack and Wilkins. Hastings Street's gone, but the fireplugs that safeguarded the Peoples Bar are still there.

Similarly, you can often find the original fireplugs right where they are located on the insurance map, even though the street will be gone entirely. Sometimes, they even have to put a protective lining around the bottom of the plug, as the streetscaping can change how high the ground is, leaving the fireplug a bit high.

Sometimes they're on the main road, as they were on Hastings. But sometimes, they're not on the main road. Sometimes, they double up on the sidestreets, as they do along the north side of Michigan Avenue near Wabash.

Finally, a challenge: Where is the oldest surviving fireplug in the city? I found one on Vernor catercorner from Duly's Place that reads "1917".

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 732
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ever notice any plugs. manhole covers etc, stamped with EJIW?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Jordan Iron Works

http://www.ejiw.com/

East Jordan Iron Works, Inc. (EJIW) has been a member of the City of East Jordan, Michigan community since 1883. William E. Malpass and his father-in-law, Richard W. Round, established the foundry in November 1883 to service the area's busy lumber industry. At the time, East Jordan Iron Works produced castings for machine parts, ship parts, agricultural uses, and eventually railroads.

The 1920's saw the lumbering operations decrease and eventually move out of the area. East Jordan Iron Works, Inc. met these changes by shifting to the production of street castings, water works valves, and fire hydrants.
During the 1950 and 60's the third generation converted the foundry to an automated high-pressure molding line complex complete with integrated automatic sand processing and mechanized casting handing facilities.

Since the mid-1980's the business has been led by fourth generation descendents of the Malpass family. They have transformed the Midwest business into a national leader of construction castings by modernizing their facilities, acquiring and establishing additional branch operations and building a world class foundry and distribution center in Ardmore, Oklahoma.

The company has grown over the years through the support of its dedicated employees and the local communities. Sales offices are strategically located in major markets across the country. The manufacturing facility, Hydrant & Valve assembly and corporate office are located in East Jordan, Michigan. The company operates foundry production facilities in Denham Springs, Louisiana, and Ardmore, Oklahoma. They provide castings for EJIW's sales and distribution operations throughout the United States.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hydrant vs. Fireplugs, Does anyone know where a real "fireplug" is?? There is one that I know of left in Detroit although it is not a working plug.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats where my husband works

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl jr: What's the difference? I had thought they were interchangeable terms.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word is they are shutting down in Ardmore and the work will come up here to EJ.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fireplug was basically a source of water for fighting fires that was "plugged" with a wooden plug unlike a hydrant that is able to be opened and closed by means of a valve. The only "plug" left in detroit - if the scrappers have not got it - Stands in front of the dfd training facility at Warren and Lawton, it looks like a huge nozzle sitting in the front outside of the fence.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh, thanks for the super scholarship, Karl! That may be the oldest, then.

Karl_jr

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sort of a term that passed along with the ages, my dad and his family always refered to a hydrant as a "plug"

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, my family favored the old, vulgar version of everything.

Fire hydrant = Fireplug
Handkerchief = Snotrag
Refrigerator = Icebox

You get the idea ...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire hydrant = Fireplug
Handkerchief = Snotrag
Refrigerator = Icebox

The words on the right are the ones I use.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That warms the cockles of my cold, cold heart, Ray!

:-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.