Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "Wayne State admits just about anyone" » Archive through July 30, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 815
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from WSU Law a long time ago. I got a great leal education there.

I practiced law for several years - our firm, 20 lawyers - practiced high level commercial real estate, banking, corporate and tax law.

As the hiring partner for two years I interviewed graduates from seven very good law schools, but I always hired WSU grads, concentrating on ones who spent a lot of time in night school, had families, and were hungry. Grades were secondary.

The people I hired are now senior partners in their respective practice groups at much larger firms and doing very well. (My old firm disbanded a couple of years after I stopped practicing law for a living; the senior partners were in a position financially to retire early and several did.) And, the people I hired are now hiring WSU grads more often than not.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're complaining about candy wrappers on the table? Believe me, ANY university with a large student body has candy wrappers on the tables - including the Ivy Leaguers.

I remember a killer of a grad school math class summer semester at Michigan, on the fourth floor of Angell Hall, sweltering in the midday heat (easily 90+ degrees in the room) because there was no air conditioning, as well as a math discussion section on the top floor of West Engineering (now West Hall) where we used to get dripped on every time it rained!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out some of the frat houses at any University if you want to see dirty.

Lfrac88
Username: Lfrac88

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it's because I'm in the music department, but I have had (and still am) having a great experience at Wayne.

All of my professors are dedicated and genuinely interested in the performance of their students, the classes and curriculum are at a very high level in comparison to others that I have been told of.

I second the assertion that although many may get into the university, not nearly as many will graduate. In the music department at least, passing is a C or higher- anything below that consecutively will get you kicked out, or at least make it very hard to graduate in a decent amount of time.

Dont get me wrong, I know Wayne will not be the whole of my higher education- but it certainly is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering it's prime location in Detroit, musically speaking.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, believe it or not...

Some of the most immature, lackluster, non-intellectual people I've ever met were attending UofM Ann Arbor (on their parents' dime, at that).

A school's rating in a magazine doesn't pave the fate for its students. if a student is diligent and serious about their future, it doesn't matter if they went to WSU or any other "fourth-tier" school.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 297
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at that great Harvard grad George W. Bush.
He can't even say "nukclear" right.
Every College and University has goofs that fall through the cracks. Big city schools are giving people a chance at an education. If they can hack it , more power to them. If they can't, get at the back of the unemployment line.

Eec
Username: Eec

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I forgot to mention: my professors at Wayne were, with very few exceptions, very good. Knowledgeable, approachable, and good at teaching. It's only the admissions standards that I was complaining about.

Although I could have talked a bit about the bureaucracy, particularly in the financial aid department. They lost ALL my records THREE times while I was going to school there.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on going to WSU for Journalism; I find this thread very interesting. I'm pretty much decided on this, and am about to ask a stupid question. I'll probably be applying to WSU with a 3.4 or 3.5 GPA; can I "bank" on them accepting me, then? I was looking through some WSU materials and saw that the minimum was, I think, below a 3.0, which is pretty much an open-door policy.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that on the bureaucracy of Wayne I had many pains dealing with them.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the other hand Ohio State is required to accept any Ohio resident who graduates from high school, so...

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not entirely true lilpup:

Ohio State has a competitive admission process in which students are considered for admission based largely on their academic performance and credentials. All students are considered under competitive standards except Ohio residents applying to an Ohio State regional campus in Lima, Mansfield, Marion, or Newark, or to Ohio State ATI in Wooster.

Three primary factors are considered in our competitive admission review process:

1. Successful completion of the college preparatory curriculum while in high school. The minimum college prep requirements are listed below. Numbers in ( ) represent the recommended number of units for strong preparation.
* 4 units of college prep English
* (4) 3 units of college prep math
* (3) 2 units each of college prep science, social science, and the same foreign language
* 1 unit of a visual or performing art
* 1 additional unit of the above courses

Students exceeding the minimum curriculum in math, natural resources, or foreign language will be given additional consideration.

2. Performance in high school as shown by class rank or grade point average.

3. Performance on the ACT or SAT.

You may be given additional consideration if:

* you attend a competitive high school
* you have taken accelerated courses
(e.g., honors, AP, IB)
* you are a first-generation college student
* you provide cultural, economic, racial, or
geographic diversity
* you possess particular outstanding talents
* you have been involved in extracurricular activities, had significant work experience, or held leadership positions
* your high school performance was adversely affected by physical, mental, or learning environment factors
* you are eligible for and will benefit from organized support services at Ohio State

Additional requirements

* Ohio State requires that you receive a diploma from a chartered high school or GED to enroll.
* Students attending Ohio State regional campuses must meet campus change requirements to enroll at the Columbus campus. Do not use this application to apply; instead, please contact your academic advisor.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 3.4 or 3.5 GPA will get you into a vast majority of colleges in Michigan. UofM is the only in-state school I can think of off the top of my head where admission would be in question for an in-state student with a GPA in the mid 3s. Maybe some of the small private schools, such as Adrian and Albion, are similarly stringent? I'm not sure since I'm not that familiar with their admission standards.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2519
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ohio State requires that you receive a diploma from a chartered high school or GED to enroll.

I stand corrected, if you're an Ohio resident you don't even have to graduate from high school to attend OSU.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3402
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_Hemingway, the best private school in the state is Kalamazoo. Albion and Adrian are good colleges but not too stringent.

OHIO STATE SUCKS.

Quozl

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHIO STATE ROCKS. They lost to my alma mater THE University of Florida in the BCS National Championship Game.

Yeah man, GO BUCKEYES!

Lilpup

Post Number: 2521
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

my alma mater THE University of Florida

Well now, THAT explains the obnoxiousness.

:-)

Quozl

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? Obnoxious? No way Lilpup. Plus I attended Auburn University for Grad School to earn my MS. It was a great place to detox!

(Message edited by quozl on July 29, 2007)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had heard that 85% of Wayne State was grad studies....which are supposed to require appropriate requirements for entry.

Is this true?

If so, is their still concern about the ease of entry for the 15% that makes up the undergrad population?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4509
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What do Henry Ford, Albert Kahn and Berry Gordy all have in common?

None of them finished high school. Go figure.

Yeah that makes up for the tens of thousands of high school drop-outs who have trouble getting a minimum wage job. Great point.

Ignoring the obvious, it was a different time argument, all three of those men probably had exceptionally high IQ's and benefited from exceptional good luck. The success of Ford, Kahn, and Gordy have zero relevance on the practical questions of educational policy.

It's exactly this kind of immature thinking that reinforces Michigan's culture of ignorance and anti-intellectualism.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State is a decent college, and a major player in the rehabilitation of mid-town. They apparently have the capacity for this level of admissions right now, so they try to fill it.

There were plenty of students at the two colleges I attended, who I thought, perhaps "shouldn't have been admitted". I believe you will find that at many colleges. More important is, what do the students who graduate gain from their experience.

(Message edited by johnlodge on July 30, 2007)

Jelk

Post Number: 4510
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

More important is, what do the students who graduate gain from their experience.

They would gain more if they weren't forced to deal with a handful of barely literate space fillers in almost every class. The problem isn't that Wayne admits people who have no business being in college. The problem is Wayne doesn't fail them.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

Companies and employers are learning that degrees often times mean nothing. It's a certificate that says that individual did something, somewhere at some time.

I know a lot of degree carrying incompetents. And some of the brightest people I know didn't even finish high school. You'd be amazed how many people run successful businesses with very little formal education.

This fallacy of folks who drop out are guaranteed to fail is the big lie.

Anyone can do anything they want. It could be argued that sometimes degrees actually hold people back from their true potential. Locking them in to a particular rung in society. Similar to someone getting on disability. Controlled starvation.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my BSE from the university of michigan, and much like everyone else has stated, found a mix of very competent, average, and incompetent students. the difference is that at UM, the bell curve is centered much closer to the very competent side than on the incompetent side.

i now attend wayne state for "post-baccalaureate" undergrad (chinese language, specifically) and since my first day there a couple years ago, i have been amazed at where that bell curve is centered on the incompetency scale. sure, there are excellent students, but there are far too many incompetent ones, and as a result the classes are far too easy.

"Half-assing" would be too generous a description for my efforts in a couple WSU classes, and yet i have an excellent GPA due to the grading standards.

overall, i like the school and its faculty and hope that it continues to improve (both itself and city around it) but facts are facts - it is not a great school.

Jelk

Post Number: 4511
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This fallacy of folks who drop out are guaranteed to fail is the big lie.

Pick 1000 high school drop-outs at random and 1000 college graduates at random. In 30 years, we can see which group is more successful.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11648
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Jelk, I'd hardly say you're currently "successful." Nor would I consider myself to be doing successful. Yet here we are, both with our college degrees, neither one doing anything related to what our degree was in.

I know a helluva lot of other college degree individuals down on their luck, either out of work, or doing something completely unrelated to their field of study. So, I suppose I would have to ask what exactly your classification for successful is exactly?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't for a second believe that, just because you're doing a job that your major wasn't specifically in, your degree is being wasted. Your experience and general studies in college still play some part in shaping the person you are today, hopefully in a positive way.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*pulling up a chair*

Oh, this is going to be good.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, Please be sure to be exactly exact with regards to doing successful in your response to Officer Supersport.

Jelk

Post Number: 4512
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't have my current job (or my two most recent past jobs) without my college education.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand why WSU is seen as a school for those not really qualified for it-many other Michigan colleges are equally accepting. I'm sure the same could be said for Grand Valley, Saginaw Valley, Central, etc.