Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Coleman Young. Good or bad? « Previous Next »
Archive through August 01, 2007Novine30 08-01-07  4:35 pm
Archive through August 02, 2007Barnesfoto30 08-02-07  1:16 pm
Archive through August 04, 2007Karl30 08-04-07  11:34 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrunaway
Username: Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 72
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Karl...but that's NY. A world class city. Let's try to find comparisions closer to the 'D'. Same concept...but reaching a bit.

You can compare D.C. with NY. Both cities share similar CBD interests. What other city can that had more similarities with detroit that we can compare....that has made a comeback? With a strong mayor of course.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9151
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Detroitrunaway - that's not the key for me. The issue is:

Who elected CAY, then put up with him and his "results" for all those years? And is that attitude still there?

Methinks that attitude is "alive and well" in the COD and ain't goin anywhere soon. Anyone attempting to do/think otherwise will be branded "racist" and run (or shot) outta town.

Sorry, only an outsider with a kick-butt attitude and his/her own army of an administration will ever help Detroit significantly again. No different than an ailing company held hostage by a lousy management team. Until the stockholders demand (and get) complete change, everybody's goin down with the ship.

And the stockholders of Detroit remain solidly content with the status quo.

If ya keep doin whatcher doin, you'll keep gettin whatcha got.

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: if ya keep doin whatcher doin, you'll keep gettin whatcha got.

I've read that somewhere. I can't remember exactly but it goes something like: If you continue doing the same thing...you'll get the same results. So, if you're not happy with the results, change what you've been doing.

Something like that....but I love that meaning.

Karl

Post Number: 9154
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detrunaway, I've said the same thing many times on these threads.

So far you're the only one to say they appreciate it - sorta the problem we've been discussing.

Another variation along these lines: If ya don't start doin something, watcha got is gonna get worse.

Like pickin up the trash in your yard, for crap sakes.

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...

Yeah....like right now...I'm going to pick up the apples off the grass. I would cut down that apple tree...but we like nature....and they contribute to the apple pie I like to make.

But i'm just waiting until later...when the sun goes down....we're in the 90's. I'm not looking forward to it...but it has to be done. Besides, I've enjoyed my Saturday so far....just came back from the Ravens/ Redskins scrimmage. Poured myself a drink, enjoying the online conversation...now it's time to do a little work.

Not rocket science at all. Just a little dignity.

Karl

Post Number: 9158
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand completely, Detrunaway.

You sound like you'd be a great neighbor unless someone was planning to be a slob, LOL.

Hope you continue to have a great Saturday!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl to say that Coleman Young did not step up to the plate where crime is the issue is misleading.I posted early in this thread a link to a very relevant article on Mayor Young, police unions and binding arbitration...... perhaps you should read it.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl to say that Coleman Young did not step up to the plate where crime is the issue is misleading.

Hey, he told them damn pushers and con artists to hit 8 Mile. That's gotta count for something.

Karl

Post Number: 9166
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's time to post the crime stats - again. And when they're posted, please include:

1. The CAY years thru now
2. Crime stats per capita
3. Comps with other cities

This thread makes me tired. Seems like the same old excuses, asked and answered.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl
I don't think there are any real answers.
What's done is done and can never be changed.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did you read the link or not Karl? I tend to think not. f you had you would have read where crime was going down and people were coming back downtown. You would have read of the contracts Young hashed out with city employees.You would have read where the dpd upper echelon asked for binding arbitration and won a significant raise. The irony being that Young was an advocate for binding arbitration until that particular scenario played out.

You would also have read that this link I provided was from the Mackinaw institute a rather consrevative think tank.

And of course you would have read how because of the city losing in binding arbitraton to the police union Young laid off thousands of officers and crime subsequently went back up........if you bothered to read it.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Dcastaway' quoted...

'Yeah....like right now...I'm going to pick up the apples off the grass. I would cut down that apple tree...but we like nature....and they contribute to the apple pie I like to make.

Not rocket science at all. Just a little dignity.'

'Dcastaway' you act as if maintaining your property is an extraordinary affair. I understand you are a 'basic' homeowner, with a rational mind set, and halfway decent moral disposition.(well?)__Unfortunately, 'some-others' are not as fortunate to be able to cope with the daily on-goings of a so-called 'normal life'.

It amazes me when I hear people of 'supposingly' sound mind, and judgement become self-rightious and contemptuous to or about what some may call the 'disadvantaged people' of the world. Perhaps the people that you and your cohorts are castigating, are unequipped to make such parallel sound judgements as others.

Many of the people you lament and critize, are typically snared in unhealthy and unproductive lifestyles__perhaps they have been robbed of social standings and personal dignity by things like poverty and racial injustice. Visit your nearest detention center, then ask about the importance in their lives, and I guarantee, lawn service, picking up apples, trash pickup, and the like is not a top priority, when it comes to surviving in a world that appears to them as hostile.__go figure!

Perhaps, working with the deck that the Honorable Coleman A. Young was handed; High poverty, a fleeing economic base, racial injustices, bigotry, media assassins, and the like , his legacy should be more popularized by his creative boldness, and defiant brilliance to maintain some sense of normalness and pride in our people, despite fighting against the feudalistic 'powers to be'!

blksoul-atcha!

Karl

Post Number: 9171
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul, if you can't keep your property up, you belong in an apartment. Don't be a nuisance to those around you.

But then, you knew that.

As far as CAY, your $25 words don't cover it - it'll take the COD decades to recover from his foolishness.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl- I just read your comparison with New York and Detroit. Unfair comparison!
Reason: as Detroitrunaway put it. Rudy in New York is a different ball game.

1.)You have people moving to this city all of the time(I live here) and the cost of living here is unbelievable. There are plenty of reasons not to live in New York City especially if you are not rich...yet people continue to move here and will wait on a waiting list if necessary.
As long as I can remember Detroit always had people leaving. Not because of leadership. It was a blue collar town. People never vacationed in Detroit(correct me if I am wrong). People moved to Detroit for jobs in the auto industry...PERIOD.

2.)With a population like NY has...the tax base here is like an F5 tornado with a base of a least 2 miles. With that type of money...you can keep any city going. Park in front of a fire hydrant here and you have a $115 ticket and people pay it. Why? Because they want to be here.
People move here just to be in Manhattan. They would not dream of living in the Bronx, Brooklyn or Queens and definitely not Staten Island.

When I first moved a co-worker told me that the best way to understand New York is look at it like this...

NYC-"We have 8 million people here." "Whomever you are and whatever you do, there is always someone else who can do it." "You don't like how we do it here?" "You don't like the outrageous prices for everything?" "You think it cost too much to park your car?" "Get the fuck out we don't need you!"

Detroit does not have it like that and never did. There are people who leave New York for the suburbs too...but there are always people from around the world moving here. Every nationality here has at some point had a few "friends"(roaches) in their place and they continue to stay.

They did not stay because they liked Rudy and they did not leave when he left office. New York City has a pulse all it's own and other than Los Angeles (another city that people flock to), you cannot make a comparison like that when you talking about anything that involves money being spent to fix any problem in the city if the tax base is not there.

I say it is simple math.

If the population and the auto industry had not left Detroit then I would say you have an argument.

I asked this on another thread and no one answered.

1.)Didn't the "Burb Exodus" begin years before CAY?

2.)Wouldn't the auto industry still have left Detroit regardless who it's mayor was?

The people and the auto industry were the tax base...am I correct about this?

Detroit-the automotive capital of the world!

...how would you have a city that became the Industrial Monster it was based on the car...if you take the car out?

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on August 05, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Kaptansolo

"Detroit does not have it like that and never did."

Quite a bold and untrue statement. I don't know how old you are, but just yesterday my father and I were standing in Manhattan (where I currently live) and he said he remembered when Detroit used to look like this.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's problem is infrastructure. What killed Detroit was them destroying the infrastructure that made Detroit a good place to be. You can't support a large, dense population without A VERY GOOD public transit system. Detroit had that once. It doesn't anymore.

The city dismantled the street car system in the 1950s, so it's no wonder that the population began to decline in the 1950s. The city began to carve out neighborhoods with free traffic flowing roadways, aka freeways, that drained traffic (thus business) from the traditional thoroughfares of the city. No wonder the population declined.

This wasn't Coleman Young's fault. He was just appointed captain of a ship that had already hit an iceberg. And honestly, Detroit may recreate some vibrant sections of the city, but I just don't see any politician above the city level having the balls to do what needs to be done to recreate the old Detroit. Which is sad because it's a city with such great potential that is being choked to death by the region around it.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lheartted- I live in Manhattan too and no I was born well after Detroit began it's decline. So I should not make such a bold statement because I am certainly not an expert on the demographics of Detroit prior to 1968...but...what I was saying was a little more than it "looking" like Manhattan. I was saying that the reasons the people were in Detroit was because of the auto industry. People are in New York City for many more reasons than one commodity like cars.

I remember years ago I was going to buy a house in Ypsilanti and the taxes were about $3500 per year on a small frame house and I wanted to know why? I was young then and the Realtor explained that because there were only six automotive factories in the city of Ypsilanti...the homeowner was basically paying for the public school system on their own. After I began to do research on Detroit I realized that one of the reasons the taxes were much lower is because what the Realtor stated was true...the auto industry was paying for the school system and a large portion of many other taxes. The homes in Detroit that were charging that type of tax were homes in Rosedale Park or other historical neighborhoods with beautiful brick homes built before the war. This was a frame starter house.
Yes Detroit was beautiful but it was due to the auto industry.
Take Broadway out of New York for example. I worked on the set of Cats and Mama Mia at the Winter Garden. Figure the average Broadway ticket is around $100. The Winter Garden is one of the flagship theaters of the Shubert Organization(meaning it has more than a 1000 seats). If they only sold 1000 seats per evening that would be $800,000 a week (8 shows) just for that theater per week. What do you think they pay in taxes and how long have they been paying(the Shubert Organization).
I mean I hope I am illustrating this correctly. Take Broadway away and then take Wall Street out and move it to Jersey and I am sure there will be less funds to work with to do things like keep the streets clean twice a week and building code enforcement and even with that (a lot of the buildings are not up to code) but that type of info does not reach the rest of the world.

You cannot compare Detroit to New York. Not without a BOOMING and I mean it would have to be booming as it was when your Father was saying it once looked like Manhattan.

just my opinion.

I see that no one has yet to answer my question about the auto industry leaving regardless to who was in office?

I agree with you about the infrastructure but with malls opening in the burbs with ample parking...downtown was killed. Let's face it...Detroiters are not the type of people who are going to give up their cars so easily and ride a train downtown to shop at Hudson's when Hudson's was right up Greenfield at Northland or a nice ride out 8Mile to Eastland with free parking.
I mean I still own a vehicle and I have been here 8 years and people are always saying, "why don't you just get rid of it?"
I'm a Detroiter at heart and I like being able to go wherever I need to go without waiting on public transportation. I do ride the train quite a bit, but...I'm not giving up my vehicle. When I drive home to see my Mother...I just get in and go...like Detroiters do. New Yorkers, if they need one...they will go and rent one and if there is a major event going on and they are sold out they accept it as another part of being in New York.

People here in Manhattan and even in the surrounding burbs(in some cases) don't mind not having a car. Some of them do not care that they could save a lot more money in the suburbs at a mall for shopping because they just want to be in Manhattan.

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on August 05, 2007)

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x.

Are you making up excuses? And what do you mean as basic...I wasn't aware that homeownership had different levels. Either you own or you don't. Even when I rented the apartment was turned over in turn-key condition.

As for extraordinary...yes, it is. Every aspects of my life that I dedicate towards inprovement is. Especially, when there are other important (good or bad) things going on.

Kaptansolo - I think what happended to the auto industry would have happened based on the country today. And who knows...I've heard that the companies are on their way to making a comeback...mostly, because of the need for innovative engineering for today's concern...global warming/energy consumption.

If Ford/Chrysler or GM can be the leading suppliers for these environmental conscience vehicles w/o a jacked-up price. Then it could be the start of another industrial revolution....of course with the help of modern technology.

I just hope the COD will be All ready to take advantage of the opportunity.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Dcastaway' stated.....
quote:

Are you making up excuses?

Excuses???__'Neeegro please'! chill with that 'IF I CAN DO IT, SO CAN THEY' crap!

I'm talking about social-phychological variables that have to do with M-I-S-O-P-P-O-R-T-U-N-I-T-Y...as in family background and other life circumstances, and perhaps the void of luck, fate, and chance in their lives, which leads them to pathological behavior patterns.

The disadvantage can't erase the blight of 'amerikkka's' capitalistic supremacy(or white supremacy, let's call it what it is) by behaving better, no matter what advocates of personal responsibility like you and your cohorts suggest.

So then, who's the blame...perhaps people like yourself that negate these unjust barriers of social neglect__Perhaps the responsibility of the disadvantage rest on assigning culpability for actions, and consequences that may APPEAR TO LIE with particular individuals but that in fact is determined by MORE LARGER AND DISTANT FORCES__go figure!

blksoul-atcha!

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrunaway...thanks for addressing the question. I guess I was trying to get some of these Coleman A. Young haters to admit that the birth of the car is what made Detroit...DETROIT! The auto industry provided some top notch incomes to the common man as well as it's executives. Those high end incomes had taxes attached to them and that was the lifeblood of Detroit.

Too many times across this country whenever there is Black leadership in a given municipality...Black leaders usually and finally get in office when the money is already gone and then their performance is judged based on those circumstances. Those are for the most part "lose" "lose" circumstances.

Coleman in my opinion was not the type to say fuck it...I don't want the job because there is no money left...he took it anyway and like most Black men who don't go to the store for a loaf of bread and never return...he was judged worse for trying with attitude than had he simply walked away.

I kept repeating the thing about the auto industry leaving because I think it would be a challenge and a losing battle to any mayor in any city to get things done without a tax base.

Three things none of these experts on the city answered...again

1.)The auto industry was leaving anyway no matter who your mayor was?

2.)The auto industry was the lifeblood (tax base)

3.)White Flight began before Coleman A. Young?

After one of them admits that my questions are facts then I have to ask...what could anyone expect from CAD or anyone else?

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blksoul_x

Did I read your post correct? Did you just refer to me as a negro? I thought we buried that word. Here I am...trying to watch my mouth...from a term that I've been so accustomed to using...its difficult enough...without you placing it on a thread.

That's the last straw....anyone want to take a jab at blksoul_x....his address and real name is:

Whew! that was a close call...I almost gave you up.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 620
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol no need to give him up, we already know who it is.

Did you honestly expect anything better from a black supremacist?
lolol now thats a good laugh.
So much for your black soul huh? You could'nt find a soul in that empty space if you used an electron microscope.

the good rev

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. Great! now I can breathe knowing I'm not protecting Satan's Advocate.

blksoul_x...I can remember the day when you would disagree with the family...about Coleman's reign...while Archer was in office. Have your political views changed that much since then?

You have every right to change your mind (women do it all the time...its our God given right) but I'm a bit surprised. Things have certainly changed over the years....haven't they?

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Dcastaway' stated....

quote:

blksoul_x...I can remember the day when you would disagree with the family...about Coleman's reign...while Archer was in office. Have your political views changed that much since then?....

'Dcastaway'__Arnold of 'Different Strokes' would say, 'What you talk'n bout' Willis'?...

....when did I ever clap at Mayor 'DENNIS ARCHER, the- expensive- tailored- made- suit- skinfolk- road- the- wave- of- an- economic -boom- thanks- to- the- stock- market- crooks- clinton- foreign- trade- deals- and- dotcom- side- show- profits- all- in- the- name- of- goodlife- principality- in- terms- of- conspicuous- consumption- and- hedonistic- indulgence- MAYOR'__ NEEEGRO PLEASE!

I've always stood stern to the belief that Black leaders and intellectuals(our best Men) in 'amerikkkas' political social wastelands are useless as it relates to the plight of our people. The Honorable Coleman A. Young, and Kwame Kilpatrick is/or can easily be tamed in 'amerikkkas' political fields, because the fundamental object of 'amerikkkas social demokkkracy' is to preserve the 'white collectives' assets!__ In other words, make 'amerikkkas' cities work for white dominance!

Take a look at this short list of pass Black leaders that flexed their Black National grass root muscles and minds in order to free our people from the grips of the feudalistic order... Fredrick Douglas, Sojourner Truth, Marcus Garvey Dr. King, Malcolm X, W.E.B. dubois , Anna Cooper, etc....None of which held the reign of political offices, because they were Bold and defiant. They all signified the commitment to Black Freedom and Black pride. A pride and freedom that can not be directed within the narrow chasm of 'amerikkkas' racist social 'demokkkracy'!

As for the Great Mayor Coleman A. Young, the point is about fairness that has been denied to him and the damage that white and 'skin-folk' selective amnesia has done. Perhaps because of his boldness, and the fundamental passion for his people__they forgot about his fight for racial harmony__check this excerpt out....

quote...

'It doesn't matter that I Championed the slogan Black and White Unite to Flight 40 years ago, or the basic modus operandi as a labor official and politician and mayor has been to build coalitions that bring together the parties, the classes and the races in a common self interest'

Problem with that is, it takes two to tangle!__and the white command didn't dance__go figure!

blksoul-atcha!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. and you wonder why this is the most segregated region of the country? Antiwhite propaganda is still racism, regardless of what its practitioners call it.It is mind-boggling how much negativity and sheer hatred at life some of these bigots have.
I bet some of these folks see white people on the street, give them the finger, and harrass them. Glad I don't live next door to them. I've dealt with enough harrassment in my life.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman couldnt have been a racist. Hes Black for god sakes. Only white people are racists!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6331
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x

I like your codespeak. It's got black intelligence when white folks can't decifer.

Rise up my black Brotha!

Karl

Post Number: 9201
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny said to Blksoul: "Rise up my black Brotha!"

Yeah, like "rise up" outta bed and learn to talk. Methinks your $25 words wouldn't get you anything except a government or union job, and they are both in short supply today. Tell me you're not cashing another government check then turning around and dissing 'em?

Uh huh, I thought so.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl:

That comment is really disturbing. Are you saying that because he is black that he is automatically lazy and depends on government assistance? Just because he doesn't talk like you makes him ignorant?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4593
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, if you dont know Karly by now...

Bratt

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But DS, does he understand that he could be a racist? Stereotyping like he does? The anger that comes out when he talks about black people? I read alot of his posts, and he always seem to bring up black people and the problem he has with them. Shoot, we can start a thread on white people and their problems too, but what's the point?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why surely you jest Bratt. You know we are all just a bunch of militants making noise about reparations that we don't want to work for. How could you forget you wait by your mail box for a check just like I do?

You know its bad when you have to remind some white people of the evils in their past and present. We are supposed to just sit here nice, quiet, and compliant while they tell us what's wrong with us, how fucked up we are, and what we need to do to fix it...

Karl

Post Number: 9212
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(stylin's on a roll now - a black female is giving him kudos)

Bratt

Post Number: 579
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mr. Karl I am a black female. Thank you for reminding me...it's so great to be me!

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4604
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knew???

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9749
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm white and Karl has me pegged as waiting for my reparations. In Karl's world anyone that expects him to acknowledge the inequality in the country's past and present is a militant waiting for a reparations check.

I just checked my mailbox and my reparations check wasn't there. I guess I am just another white man getting cheated by this unfair system that heaps rewards and favors on minorities.

If pressed I'm sure that Karl would insist that he likes black people and even has a black friend.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman A. Young was neither good nor bad; he was communist, and therefore evil.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4626
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Bullet knows this how....?

And has what facts to back him up?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious!!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

never liked Coleman the mayor, admired Coleman the man...
So now He was a communist?
Well, conservocrites of the mid 20th century saw communism everywhere. I guess Donald Lobsinger's followers are alive and well and posting on the forum, while their leader's head is kept alive artificially in a jar in St. Clair Shores!
ML King and the leaders of the civil rights movement were also denounced as communists.
As were those who opposed the Vietnam War.

As for Dennis Archer, he was the best mayor of my lifetime for one simple reason:

Any time that I, a mere citizen of the City of Detroit with no significant wealth or power or connections sent a letter to the office of Dennis Archer requesting a problem be solved, the problem was solved, and I got a phone call confirming that the problem had been solved.
My problems were problems that affected my entire neighborhood. They were not
"white"problems nor "black" problems...

Archer's admin was far more effective than Coleman's Idiocracy.

nuff said.

Senior
Username: Senior

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto:

Please enlighten me on the Donald Lobsinger you mentioned. I left the Detroit area in 1973, so I missed out on any activities he may have been involved in after that. We lived in the same neighborhood during childhood, and although not a "buddy" of mine, I was certainly acquainted with him. Thankyou.

Senior

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3933
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lobsinger was a C of D Rec Dept. official, and a loudmouthed far-right anti-civil rights pro- Vietnam War activist with an tiny group of thugs called "Breakthrough". Active in the 60's.
Funny that you don't remember him, because I was was barely in Elementary School, and I remember his clownlike antics from TV Newscasts.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=9391

Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x and others that are offended by some posts....I have a little something to offer.

Like my mama...and others have stated..."it's not what they call you....it's what you answer to".

With that said....can you believe all of this back and forth negative statements we're all falling into. You wouldn't believe what I hear every-so-often from people here in the DMV (D.C., Maryland & Virginia) area. Those who have been or know someone who has been to Detroit lately....says..."wow! Detroit has really made a comeback....with a little more improvements...it'll become the gem it once was. Despite the economy in the mid-west."

I've googled things about detroit...and have come across some good things said about the city...but here we are as residents...still fussin at each other. It's a sad case.

Here's something I came across:

Where has Detroit been hiding the river and why did it take so long to show off all it's glory to urbanites and suburbanites alike?

For metro-Detroiters, you know what I'm talking about. For out-of-towners, you may not have thought of Detroit as a tourist attraction, in fact, you may have heard one too many horror stories about our city to take a chance and book a flight here or hop in your car for a visit. Let me be the first to tell you, Detroit is bringing SEXYBACK and is the place to see and be seen. Watch out Chicago! Step aside L.A...forget about it New York...Detroit is back, baby!
By Michelle Kane, author of CONFESSIONS OF A CATHOLIC SCHOOLGIRL

Correctone
Username: Correctone

Post Number: 44
Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing he did was fix the police department somewhat but I consider him a "George Wallace" in reverse telling black people what they wanted to hear while being backed by Max Fisher and Al Taubman, he became mayor so he could take things for himself just like severval mayors before him and just like the present..to live high off taxpayer money...he came in as a middle income earner as state rep. and left a multi-millionaire after they're was nothing left to take...the downtown area became a ghost town and then he wasted millions on "a people mover" that F'd up the streets for what?...to ride and feed the pidgon's? what else is it for.

He was just like so many before him just in there to see what they could take for themselves.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.