Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Spirit of Detroit Miniatures « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Spirit of Detroit" Miniatures

Metaldoctor produced in preparation of the restoration project 50yrs. "Spirit of Detroit".

http://www.canarthandworks.com/index_files/Spirit_Of_Detroit_Miniatures.htm

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much are these little jewels??

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For orders call:

Carl Nielbock
Phone: 313-392-0116
E-mail: cnielbock@sbcglobal.

(don't ask me where I got this information)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"how much are these little jewels??"

If you have to ask then you can't afford it. I'm sure I can't.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it come with little Pistons and Red Wing jerseys?

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And future Lions jersey?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dream on, my friend.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 847
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where were these 3 years ago when I wanted to buy exactly this and bring with me to Europe, so I could take pictures of the Spirit as he traveled with me!!?!? Now I am sad, because I will be coming home in Feb... but with no pictures of the Spirit and me in Poland or Germany or France or Italy... :-(

Hey, I know.... I WILL get one and we will party at Oktoberfest!!!!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uhh.... I just called and he told me $9,600 for them

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the silliest thing I've heard in a long time!

Karl_jr

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much the original was?

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol I could prolly buy the real statue for that! I'm sure Kwame would sell it.

just kidding!

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to wikipedia

"is a large bronze statue created by Marshall Fredericks and located at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center in Detroit, Michigan. It was commissioned in 1955 for a cost of $58,000, and dedicated in 1958."

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to have a mini version of that statue.. but I can get a used car for that price.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you use someone elses face? Doesnt quite look like the big green fellas mug. Oh, good luck selling that for that price, id be interested to see if you get any bites.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5006
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it come in a dashboard mounted verdigris green plastic version with a suction cup? :-)

Karl_jr

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he can hang on by the crack of his ass!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes these seem cheap by comparison:

east grand boulevard, bitch!

Karl_jr

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the bookends a lot better packman!

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad the price is prohibitive for most folks. I would love to own a beautiful piece like that. Viziondetroit, my used Taurus WAS half that cost!!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9756
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spirit of Detroit

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Uhh.... I just called and he told me $9,600 for them"

That is too bad. I 'm sure they are worth every penny of that though being a limited run of a hand made sculpture. Some one's great grandkid will have one on Antiques Roadshow a hundred years from now and be able to retire early.

Gannon

Post Number: 9758
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this copy is one of the prototypes that were used to choose the design...it is definitely NOT a copy of the real one.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The face kinda looks like Henry Ford lol

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2409
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Mr. Nielbock created a miniature version of The Spirit of Detroit in preparation for the restoration work. But to sell copies of that miniature, does that mean that the Marshall Fredericks Estate gave permission and/or gets a percentage of the proceeds? I'd like to know better the rights of the original artist in this case. Thank you.

Bumble
Username: Bumble

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question, Kathleen.

Does Lowell pay a percentage to any of the authors or publishers of the articles reprinted without permission here?

(And looking at "that other site," Lowell sure does seem to have a problem with people linking to his photos.)

Gannon

Post Number: 9802
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet copying a prototype is certainly less tangled than forging a mini-real one...

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By comparison of both images you will recognize how bad the corrosion and pollution destroying the visual impact. With the replica we are able to try out different restoration techniques and patina application etc. optimizing visual impact and location all without experimenting and compromising the integrity of the original, irreplaceable Spirit of Detroit.

Also here has been a mistake in the pricing. The replica of C.A.N. Art Handworks study: the spirit of Detroit , is $1959.99 each and stands 12.5 inches by 18.5 inches high.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised King Kwame hasn't sold the shirt of the Spirit's back. You know, stitch up a t shirt and put it on the old guy. Then again, I would have loved to see the Spirit wearing a Red Wings jersey during the playoffs. Very cool.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.