Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Good middle eastern eats on the Westside? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any recommendations? Taking my kid out for dinner tonight. Looking for Livonia Redford Dearborn Heights locations. Thanks!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try the El Ameer's at Ford and Inkster. It is the second location of the one at Warren and Chase.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only place I would recommend is Al Emeer, both in old Dearborn (Warren and Schafer) and Dearborn Hgts. (Beech Daly & Ford Rd.), although I have recently had a good experience at La Pita on Newman off Michigan by the ACO shopping center.

The cops all go to the one in old Dearborn.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, awesome almost simultaneous post DP!!! I particularly like the fact that we both mis-spelled it!!! It is correctly spelled Al-Ameer!!!

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Talal's in West Dearborn on Michigan Ave. It is right next door to La Shish, and features an identical menu, but Talal's also has liquor, and, IMO, a little nicer vibe than La Shish . . .

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just recently asked one of my friends for her choice that wasn't her mother's cooking (unless her mom didn't mind me bringing over a bunch of friends from school) and she suggested Al Sultan on Inkster, a block north of Cherry Hill. I haven't tried it, however.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well?

Where did you go?

Was it good!
Inquiring minds want to know..........

Cambrian

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I looked around for Al Ameer could not find it. They have no listed # for that location either. Traffic lights being out at the Ford rd Beech intersection with dumb detours set up by the cops didn't help. The Dearborn location gave me a # that was a fax machine. So I went to Talal's. Did not like it, sorry Detroit fats! Service was slow and unresponsive, and the food wasn't up to the quality I'd expected. The Chicken shwarma was fatty, that was a plus for my daughter though, she loves meat fat.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tsk Tsk should have looked at Ford and Inkster!

Cambrian

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will do. Where are they in respect to that intersection?

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the drive though convenience @ Cedarland on Warren.
And I second LaPita.
I'm glad they opened up a satellite location @ WSU.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NE corner. Sorry, I thought it was Beech Daly! DP is correct.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Cedarland on Warren (I wanna say near Greenfield?) is my favorite place for arab food in the D.

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian- AlAmeer is located at 12710 W.Warren )313)582-8185. Food and service all fantastic. Anything and everything Middle Eastern you would want. Appetizers, Vegetarian, Raw juice, salads, family trays. As for me...hommous and Cicken Shawarma. Yum. Enjoy.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9681
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cedarland is the choice of a friend of mine who was born and raised in Lebanon. He insists it is closest to home.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5483
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to the Arab-American National Museum on Michigan Ave. and Coolege, across the street is a great Lebanese joint. Two Dearborn, Michigan arractions and a great introduction to the 350,000 middle easterners in SE Michigan.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks Jjaba...you know the westside so well...any thoughts on eastside :-)...

Jjaba

Post Number: 5486
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran, with due respoect, jjaba has only been on the Eastside on a tour with Lowell and The Rock who know every block, dead end street, and burned out cars. Anything East of Woodward Avenue might as well be Cleveland, and jjaba don't know shit about the Mistake on the Lake. Lock your doors on the Eastside and go only in daylight. The place is just plain spooky.

jjaba, Proudly Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor on the Dexter Bus.

Detroitfats

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian--I feel bad that you didn't enjoy Talal's. I've never had the shwarma there (for that I usually just go to one of the bakeries on Warren Ave.) but I am surprised that you found their quality lacking.
Cederland is also very good, and they bring you a nice cup of lentil soup as a (free) starter. Their carry-out window is very convenient.
Some friends and relatives swear by Al-Ameer, which, by the way, is on Warren at Miller. Cederland is a few blocks west, on the opposite (south) side of Warren. Cederland is about one and a half miles east of Greenfield.
Jjaba--I respectfully suggest that the AA national museum is on Michigan Ave. just west of Schaefer. It does not become Coolidge until north of Eight Mile, I think . . .

Whisper128
Username: Whisper128

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, looks like I'm a bit late, but my Lebanese boyfriend and I love Country, a family-friendly restaurant on the west side of Schaefer, about 1/3 mile north of Michigan Ave. Our favorite dish is the grilled chicken with hummus and fattoush.

And it's right next to the Al Hallab bakery which makes for the perfect stop after dinner.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Pine Land on Middlebelt, north of Ann Arbor Trail. If you want to eat the stuff you see in the Middle Eastern groceries, like lamb liver, you can get it there.

But boy, I'll have to try some of these other places. There's no shortage of them, eh?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No worries fats. The leftovers were good for breakfast this morning. My dog enjoyed cleaning out the carton after I was finished with it and she particularly loved loved the yellow bell pepper they used as a garnish.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll second Pine Land on Middlebelt, and also their east Dearborn location on Michigan. Great hummos and fatoush. The Livonia location is a little strip-mall-ish, but the food is great. I think their falafel is very tasty but a little over-cooked. That is the same for both locations I've visited. Matter of taste, I guess.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5488
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitfats, welcome to The Forum.

jjaba never quite gets it right in the suburbs.

Growing up on the Westside at Wyoming and Schoolcraft area, we seldom would venture into Dearborn. The garbage trucks read "Keep Dearborn Clean" and we all knew what that meant.

We would sneak into Camp Dearborn with somebody elses window sticker passing for white.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's talk best baba, overall. I like it chunky and with lots of seeds. Recommendations, east or west, no matter?

(I keep reading you as Detroitfarts, Detroitfats; oddly endearing. ;))

Cambrian

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never ordered baba ghanoush at the restaurant. I've bought it from Westborn and had it as a snack with Pita Chips. Can't recall the brand, but it's the same I see at lots of stores. I gotta give a shout out to Pita Cafe, my fave! Especially the RO Twp location.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 817
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba :0 ok you win....next time you are on a recon ....to the east, where the Tars grow proud and never bend, you should have a real Italian meal,,,,love your memories and post...so it would be hard to dish yah...

Detroitfats

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jjaba, I always enjoy your posts.
I know what you mean about the "Keep Dearborn Clean" message. Lots of us who grew up in East Dearborn still feel ashamed about the racist reputation our area had (has?) . . .Not all of us fostered these narrow views, though.
Amy--Hilarious. Just remember, I'm not portly, pudgy, stout, or gastrically challanged, I'm just Fats . . .
Almost forgot--best baba ever was at a retirement party where all the middle-eastern food was homemade by the grannies--Rich 'n seedy!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the "Keep Dearborn Clean" message? One of you tell me the story behind that one. I don't get it.

Detroitfats

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please understand I am not putting words in the mouth of Jjaba. This is my opinion only. I took his post to reflect the generally understood "law" in Dearborn under the rule of Mayor Hubbard that houses were not to be sold to African-Americans. "Keep Dearborn Clean" seemed, to many, to be an ironic joke about race.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al hallab bakery just got a bad inspection from the state food inspector, place is filthy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.