Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » David Whitney Update « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to the security guard at the David Whitney building today. According to him, the building is being turned into doctors and dentists offices. The ground floor is going to be turned into shops. Some Jewish guy is putting $55 million into this project. Right now, they are working on the brickwork and the wiring. He said they are currently rewiring the elevators, and are going to do the whole building.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4520
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this for real or a sick joke Scs?

Scs100

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For real.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I talked to the security guard..."

That's where you made your mistake...

I wouldn't expect anything to be happening with the Whitney building anytime soon...certainly not doctors and dentists offices...and $55 million seems unlikely

Kronprinz
Username: Kronprinz

Post Number: 548
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's Jewish? I heard he was a United Methodist

Thejesus

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"he's Jewish? I heard he was a United Methodist"

Well then. That changes the whole thing, doesn't it?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" the building is being turned into doctors and dentists offices."

Isn't that what it was before?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1835
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe for real from SCS, but a sick joke from the security guard...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5888
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Scs100. In my usual research on historic buildings, I wrote the owners of this building concerning an architectural/technical question, but also to see if there were any renovation plans. Usually, if nothing is going on, they are very upfront in telling you that there are no plans in the works. The answer I received from this interesting nugget from the owners "I have no information relating to a development that can be shared at this time". Very ambiguous, put it sounds definitely pointing to something going on.

Scs100

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was my other guess. But they are definitely doing something there. (Referring to Doug's post).

(Message edited by SCS100 on August 01, 2007)

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 402
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the security guard didn't say anything about doctors or dentists offices last week. Just told me they were starting with brick working in a long, slow renovation.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if you wanted to redevelop a building and not spend a lot of money, wouldn't you consider fixing it up to serve the same purpose that it did in the past(e.g BC Hotel).

I would love to see the Whitney converted into a hotel. The hallways and office spaces are perfect for hotel rooms and the ground floor would be a beautiful lobby, gift shop, and small bar and grill. However, to do this you have to put plumbing fixtures in all of the offices that currently have no plumbing. How much does it cost to add bathrooms to the costs of a renovation?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know, but I would guess the plumbing in the BC wasn't any good any more anyway and had to be replaced. So I doubt money was saved by that. Especially considering the room layouts are different anyway.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5003
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, thanks for those comments. That sounds more like a "Quicken" involvement than doctors and dentists.

SCS100 thanks for sharing the info, but I think that you were purposefully misled by the security guard. (He was probably told what to say from his bosses.)

After hearing AAA Building (and Michigan Building) owner Tony Pieroni's comments about the city NOT ever contacting him on his building on the Statler block, it leads me to conclude a few different "guesses":

1) the Statler footprint will be smaller than the whole block, and likely not include the AAA Building footprint, nor where the People Mover crosses the block.

2) no PM Station on the Statler block, so the only way Quicken can be tied into a PM station is the David Whitney. So I think that the Whitney is still potentially part of a Quicken plan. Perhaps via a skywalk from the Whitney to the Statler (Quicken) site.

3) One reason I think that no tall building will exist on the part of the Statler block where the PM crosses over is because major construction involving the area around the PM track would require a closing part of the PM system until construction ended.

4) Some of the other companies that Quicken may lure downtown could move into either the Whitney or United Artists Building, or both.

5) Ditto for Quicken residential, it could be either the Whitney, or United Artists, or both.

Again just speculation... but any doctor or dentist offices in the Whitney would have resulted in an announcement long ago.

And besides, the downtown population isn't anywhere near high enough to warrant an influx of medical offices. In the distant past, people used to go downtown to visit their doctors/dentists, but I think that in this day and age, people prefer to visit one or the other closer to home.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"3) One reason I think that no tall building will exist on the part of the Statler block where the PM crosses over is because major construction involving the area around the PM track would require a closing part of the PM system until construction ended. "

I don't think this is a huge deal. They did it for the RenCen improvements. It was a pain, but you just went around until the track ended, then went the other way all the way around.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3440
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From that description it sounds like we're going back to the 1950s.

That's fine with me, but I don't know where the market will come from. There's a glut of office space as it is.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

3) One reason I think that no tall building will exist on the part of the Statler block where the PM crosses over is because major construction involving the area around the PM track would require a closing part of the PM system until construction ended

Not sure why you think that. The PM stayed open while they demolished the Statler.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^plus its not like anyone rides the People Mover anyway

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5004
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Johnlodge, but in the case of the removal of the berms at the RenCen, it was necessary. The city may opt to not want to repeat that annoyance for riders again. But you may be right!

Here's a rough sketch of how the PM track (in blue) crosses the parcel (as well as the AAA Building in red):

My point has nothing to do with the PM tracks on Bagley or on Park Ave. (along GCP). But only that corner where it actually crosses over the Statler block.

Who knows, they may opt for something like they did at 150 W. Jefferson (Madden Building), where the building was built up to the level of the PM track, and thus not necessitating any closure or rerouting of the PM.

Or if they did it like at the Millender Center, it would require PM closure, since construction would also be taking place over the PM track (where it tunnels thru the Millender Center).

(Message edited by Gistok on August 01, 2007)

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way current downtown development trends are going...... The Statler block will become a massive parking structure to provide parking for the Broderick, Whitney and UA buildings.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

close russix; they'll tear down the ua for a gigantic parking structure and build a mid-rise office building where the statler was. nothing like parking and offices to take advantage of a park, eh?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11650
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The use of both the Whitney and UA is very interesting. While the UA is a ways off, the Whitney could get office ready much quicker. Perhaps gradually moving employees downtown, in much the same way that Compuware's move was gradual. This, would obviously be much more spread out over a few year period.

The first wave could move into the Whitney, getting their feet wet, with the second wave possibly moving into the UA, while construction continues on their new building, which would be somewhat bookended by both. This would surely be an announcement that would make a VERY big splash, considering it would entail renovation of a new building coinciding with renovating two existing, though vacant, structures. Man, I wish they would make a damn announcement already!

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]^plus its not like anyone rides the People Mover anyway[/quote] My office window looks out on to the people mover track, those must be mannequins the city of detroit stuffs on the people mover to make it look used. Everything i ride it, they must hire extras at the station prior to me to ride it as well. I agree its underutilized, but what do you expect from a train that goes in a circle?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess would be that the security guard was told to say that if asked. Im hoping that the Whitney is incorporated into a Quicken HQ. I always thought this would be the coolest option giving Gilbert an interior space that is second only to the Guardian in my opinion where he can have his own retail arcade. Throw in a people mover stop for his employees and potential shoppers and it looks like a real good plan. Depending on what he wants to do he can convert to residential or place employees of one of his companies there. To me this building was more obvious in terms of accompanying with a new HQ so the work on the UA really has me curious now.

Scs100

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. Here's the good news that I can confirm myself. They are actually working on the building for something/somebody.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove past the Whitney today. I noticed that the sidewalk scaffolding has been removed. The scaffolding on the east and west walls remains. One thing the stuck out was that the security guard or his car were nowhere in sight.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5889
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, Becker Ventures is definitely up to something with the Whitney. I would not be surprised, at all, to hear about renovations of the Whitney and UA, as well as a new construction in the coming days.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible to see permits filed with the city/county for construction, or is this locked in the 'pay for access' only portion of the city site? I've seen this easily findable in other places in the country. If Becker was doing anything of substance I'm sure a permit would've been filed.

Scs100

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I drove past the Whitney today. I noticed that the sidewalk scaffolding has been removed. The scaffolding on the east and west walls remains. One thing the stuck out was that the security guard or his car were nowhere in sight.

When I was down there about 1:30, the security guy was in his car in front of the building.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen work going on with the brickwork late at night.
It kinda shocked me that there was some sort of maintenance/assesments being done.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is gilbert jewish? then he just may be the guy pouring in 55million.

but a $55 million health care facility on a historic/tourist downtown street is very expensive.

They must be planning about 1000 MRI machines.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He just might be haha!

I read that he had 5 kids and figured he was Catholic...

Thejesus

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"is gilbert jewish"

He is a lawyer, so maybe...

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is, Mike

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any more word? What has happened there in the last two days since the last post???

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 848
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if they did it like at the Millender Center, it would require PM closure, since construction would also be taking place over the PM track (where it tunnels thru the Millender Center).

That would be neato, but ridiculous. The distance between the Whitney and Statler stops would be too short, even for People Mover standards. Maybe they'd take out the Whitney stop?

(Message edited by rhymeswithrawk on August 04, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.