Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » White Fang. Good or Bad. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was known as the meanest dog in Dee-troit, but the worst thing I ever saw him do was hit Soupy with a shaving cream pie. Good doggie, or bad to the bone? What do you think?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some criticize him, but you know Black Tooth would have been soft on defense.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3582
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black Tooth--was he a racist?

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that White Fang and Black Tooth killed each other in a two-person race war.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9056
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Fang was one of the finest things to come out of Detroit, along with Vernors, fins and what they were attached to, Motown, and Hudsons.

(Message edited by Karl on August 01, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he's getting a little long in the tooth these days. He was one of the best things on Soupy's shows.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if this is some how related to the Quicken move. I really have a hunch that it might be.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3585
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy's in some nursing home. He won't be relocating here.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 735
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy's in a rent controlled apartment in NYC.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once saw White Fang at the Old Miami. he was riding a Harley and picked up some hookers.

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Fang and Black tooth are well cared for, in a very good place right now.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go read my post re: the Cedars of Lebanon--"Doc" McDougall was the "action" and voice behind White Fang and Black Tooth. Here was this classically trained actor, who trod the boards doing Shakespeare in New York with Olivier (he was spear chucker #7) ended up back home in Detroit, as the above puppet characters, "X" on late night horror movie television and teaching freshman English at DIT to future engineers (I know-that doesn’t compute!) no wonder he found solace in distilled spirits. My old friend Vic Hill was the channel 7 stagehand who was made Soupy's #1 pie thrower--he had the best aim of the whole staff.

Paintnprint
Username: Paintnprint

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Loo-ah, loo-ah, loo-ah," in gravel-voice.
"Down White Fang."
"Loo-ah, loo-ah, loo-ah" in a higher register.
"Don't kiss."
And, today's "Soupy's Words of Wisdom..."
"Be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you."
Knock at the door.
Rube Weiss asks, offscreen, "Is this your dog?"
Soups looks up three stories, and replies "Yea, that's my dog."
Cut to Big Boy's commercial.
And I can't remember my SS number.
Regards,
Koko

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even as the "sweetest dog in Dee-troit," Black Tooth also managed to throw the occasional pie at Soupy; but who didn't? (including Pooky the lion at the window, and the man at the door). Don't forget the water in the eye when he removed the cork on the wall next to the sign that said "Do Not Touch." With such vivid memories of such things, I guess it shows that we never ate lunch at the table when we were kids.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,
I can't access your post regarding Tom McDougall, but White Fang was played by the great Clyde Adler, except for the week that Clyde went on vacation when Frank Nastasi took over.

I will give McDougall props for Mr. X and creating Challenge of the Yukon.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this! wow, one time in my travels across the U. S. I was at a party and ran into another Detroiter. I think we were way out in California...and the two of us immediately began doing all the variations of the one and only Soupy Shuffle. most others were just agog. hahahahahahah as kids, my sisters and I used to love watching Soupy in the living room, when we could, which wasn't all that often. my Mom would even put a red and white checkered tablecloth on the coffee table to match Soupy's...and we always ate Silvercup, the "Best Bread in all of Deeeetroit..."
aaah the memories, and that guy Soupy was truly hilarious. remember how he would go around the studio with the cameraman barely keeping up?
here's to Soupy, wherever you are...(raising a glass to ya)

Margaret

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops, forgot to answer the original question: White Fang was definitely good!!! you could tell cuz Soupy loved those crazy canines...

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember having lunch when I'd walk home from school with Soupy Sales. I also heard the story of the naked lady behind the door. Soupy heard the knock knock knock, opened the door and Frank Natasha decided to play a prank on Soupy by hiring a stripper to stand naked behind the door. Of course, Soupy expected to see Frank. Instead it was the naked stripper. Soupy SO cracked up over that, and told his audience exactly what was there, behind the door, although nothing (as usual) was seen by the viewers. Soupy's show was as funny as Sid Ceasar's "Show Of Shows", but WAY before its time. White Fang, Black Tooth, all good.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy and the Naked Lady.
http://www.detroitkidshow.com/ naked_soupy.htm

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 678
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats funny stuff Ed_g. You have quite the archive of materials. You work for DPS dont you?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 744
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,
Yes, I do. Do I know you???

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 683
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed I only know of you from here, I saw your pic and some quotes in Detroit Hour mag a few months ago. I assumed it was you. Your our resident TV King.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soupy is the greatest. It came on Channel 20 when I was a kid. It really tied my generation with my parents. Clifford Brown the great trumpet player was even on the show once during the first run.

A local musician I know was hired to play at his shows. Soon, he learned the punchlines and stopped laughing. Soupy once said to him, "Why don't you laugh at my jokes? I laugh at your music." I am glad to have experienced his show as a kid and would jump at the chance to see him perform.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 900
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Messina, later with the Funk Bros, was in Soupy's house band.
I loved "Lunch with Soupy" and all the cats... White Fang was my kinda doggy. Loved Black Tooth too, and Pooky the Lion. I feel really stoopid saying this, but I wouldn't take my vitaminnie for anyone but Soupy. lol

Margaret

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SOUPY FOR PRESIDENT!!! what dya think of that?
LMAO

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican got it right.
Sid Caesar and Soupy Sales, were not the best comedians, they were the only TRUE COMEDIANS. They were simply funny by the expressions on their faces. Soupy, on Detroit TV, had a 15 minute slot in 1953 and Caesar was at his peak the same year with his Show of Shows. Whatever happened to plain COMEDY? Soupy was a regular at Amato's Pizzeria on the west side and he was just as funny then as he was on TV.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't forget Pookey and Willie the Worm.....and my favorite Soupy line (at least when I was 7 years old) "Kids, be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you."

Ed_golick

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite Soupy line is "George Washington may be the father of our country, but Faygo is the pop!"

Offical_birdbath
Username: Offical_birdbath

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is, "Show me a 4 foot boat with a bell, and I'll show you a ringy dingy."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.