Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A Cheap Night Out » Archive through July 29, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some guys friends and I have decided on a cheap night out in the D for some good food and beer. We want something different. Any ideas off the beaten path? We are adventurous so this can be one step above sh*t hole as long as the food is good and the booze is cheap (interesting characters to watch even make for a better night)!

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetwater Tavern comes to mind. Jacoby's is practically next door...a pretty notable bar in itself.

Zeff's Coney Island (not open Sunday though) gets the vote for best morning-after brunch...also quite affordable.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweetwater and Jacobys are FANCY. But I do like them...think crappier and cheaper!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The House of Reuben, of Course (j/k).

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 28, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bronx Bar
Old Miami
Ye Olde Tap Room: Charlevoix-Alter

I wasn't sure that Sweetwater was considered fancy.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm I love the Bronx. Does Miami have food? What is in Corktown that has food?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3391
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Corktown, there's Shelley's on Michigan/Trumbull, and the Lager House, further east on Michigan Ave. http://www.lagerhousedetroit.c om/drinks.html

Don't know about food at Miami.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1420
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No food at the Old Miami.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, Cass Cafe is just down the street. Maybe start there and hop.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 786
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how crappy and cheap you want to go, but you could get a will work for food sign, find a busy intersection, then after an hour or so head over to the liquor store.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know how crappy and cheap you want to go, but you could get a will work for food sign, find a busy intersection, then after an hour or so head over to the liquor store."

At first, I was going to say find a Truck Stop or something.

Meeshba
Username: Meeshba

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been living out of the area since 2004, but if I were planning a cheap night out, I would try Tom's Tavern on 7 mile, if it is still around.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 482
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw Shelly's on michigan is now hoots. The cheapest beer I have found by far in the last few weeks is the pit stop in the brodick tower

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

city club after whatever...$4 cover, fairly cheap drinks, and there's plenty of people to watch.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 461
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tom's tavern was run into by a car last winter/early spring... it hobbled along, with a giant hole in the front, and basically only friends of the bartenders were allowed to drink there... (nice "bay"window view) i was sure it was a gonner, but it was repaired... and is set to reopen.

Krhn313
Username: Krhn313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm... how about a night in Southwest?

Adela's (drinking)
Blue Diamond (dancing)
El Chaparral (interesting characters)
Duly's Coney Island (good drunk food)

I've wrote a bit about El Chaparral: http://www.datavibe.net/~krhn/2006/12/el-chapparal-lounge.html

Chaparral is by far my favorite Detroit bar.

(Message edited by krhn313 on July 28, 2007)

Detroite
Username: Detroite

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Z's Villa at 42 Piquette

Detroitprincess
Username: Detroitprincess

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Park Bar 1 block behind State Theatre. The have great food and it's very cheap. They have a Romanian Grill. The beer is very good. The Ghetto Blaster is my favorite beer. All very cheap. If you live in the city, make sure you let the bar tender know. I frequent The Park every week.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sad part is many of the people that come downtown from the burbs seem to think the club isnt cool unless the drinks are expensive ..I may be wrong but the attitude with many seems to be that if it costs more the place has to be better .. as for me I love an inexpensive bar and like waking up in the morning after a fun night with a few bucks left in my wallet

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are kidding me... someone asks for cheap night out suggestions off the beaten path and you guys suggest the Cass Cafe, Sweetwater, The Tap Room, the Park Bar and City Club?

This is funny.

Granmontrules

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is a Detroit crowd and we have been to every crappy bar in town for the most part. We settled on Zeitgeist - it has crappy cheap beer and wine plus it is the 10 year anniversary and then we are going to go to a cheap mexican restaurant that someone said is the cheapest of the cheap with even cheaper beer. Thanks for the suggesitons! I love the "will work for food" sign idea LMAO.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure there are a lot of folks at the Zeitgeist tonight who can give you lots of bar tips as well.

Have fun.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a funny thread.

The worst bar I've ever found was almost empty. The few regulars there were hanging around listening to the owner complain about how badly his business was doing. He was oblivious as to how his attitude was affecting his business. It might have been funny if it weren't so tragic.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3394
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much like our housing and food, Detroit is general has a cheaper than average bar scene.

Non-Detroit friends always tell me about the painfully expensive beer in other cities, like 8-10 bucks for a standard American beer in S. Beach Miami. ..and then there's Ann Arbor.

Have fun, Granmontrules.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2166
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For your next outing- Kovacs in Delray?

Or maybe this place:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p= 495

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9695
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll have to go to The Golden Fleece in Greektown for dinner, best dive in Greektown.

Might be the ONLY Greek dive in Greektown.

Hit up Duly's Coney Island on Vernor Highway just east of Junction.

The Old Miami sometimes has cookouts out back, but no official food.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed about the Golden Fleece. Great price for the traditional food, and good drink selection.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 293
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For your next outing- Kovacs in Delray?

I heard rumors months ago that Bob and Delores shuttered Kovacs. No one could ever confirm that on this forum, even the dude that stated he worked there. Every time I drive down there, they are closed. Afternoons and early evenings (since they were very rarely open past 9).

Anyone?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 941
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should try atlas bar in hamtramck. pretty much any bar in hamtown would be what you want.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Every time I drive down there, they are closed.

I drove by there yesterday around 5pm and I thought I saw an "open" sign.