Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Meijer vs Wal-Mart Supercenter « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Farmer Jack out of Detroit and lots of talk for Wal-Mart to tap the market, why not Meijer? The movement to support local business and purchase locally-grown organic produce is taking hold across the country. Meijer has all the abilities to make it happen. Whats holding them back? And who would you support? Wal-Mart has got to be one of the biggest importer or asian-market goods. How could Detroiters support one of the main killers of the region?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only problem is, Meijer said themselves that they wouldn't be investing in Detroit anytime soon.

Besides, I'd rather have a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (A Full Service and More Supermarket with limited general merchandise) over a huge Supercenter. A Super Target would work too, but they wouldn't invest in the city anytime soon either after recently leaving their Bel-Air location.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like anything about Wal-Mart. Aside from logical reasons, I just don't like being inside of them. The same thing with Sams Club.

I like Meijer a lot more, and I think it would be good if they opened a store in Detroit. A Meijer in one of the Pointes would be nice. Or maybe one at Eastland.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know anything about the Pointes? Where could a big box go? The cities are built out with a couple exception such as parking lots behind the Village where new developments will soon be built anyway.

One of these places investing in Detroit would be good, simply because of the investment $$, jobs, and availibility of cheap, decent food for residents. But for us to speculate and talk about which one would be best is stupid. Odds are none will come, anyway, and wouldn't you rather support local markets?

The only potential I see is the new 8/Woodward plaza, but it sounds like this will be built more like a Somerset wanna-be than a collection of big boxes.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Meijer in the Grosse Pointes? Are you kidding me?

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take Meijer any day over Wal-Fart.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will ask this, Why is Wal-Mart the only Box Store that hasn't said NO about a location in Detroit?

Anyway, Would you want stores that WANT to serve the people of Detroit or stores that are FORCED to serve the people of Detroit but in reality could care less?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 551
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Costco? They pay decent wages, offer good prices and quality merchandise. Plus their membership requirements, bulk items and receipt checking policies would probably help to curb the theft problems that have plagued other retailers in the city.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be possible to build a Meijer in the Pointes. You'd just have to rip down the entire area around the Village, plus every house within at least a one block radius around the proposed store for parking. To make this short, it's not gonna ever happen.

Scs100

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyway, Would you want stores that WANT to serve the people of Detroit or stores that are FORCED to serve the people of Detroit but in reality could care less?

Yes, because if they could care less, than it would mean that they really do care to some extent.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3445
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice job of pointing out the grammar, Scs.

Urbanize's point, if I interpret it right, is actually a good one. I'm thinking a Detroit Meijers would be nothing like the upscale Ann Arbor-Saline Meijers.

I think a mid-size chain like Busch's or Hillers might be open to building on a smaller site and might be great for gentrified areas of Midtown. I think Hillers is outstanding. One of the few places I'll drive/bus ride outside downtown A2 for.

Now I'm falling into the stupid speculation. That's what D-yes has been good for lately haha.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, let's simple it down.

Would you want stores that WANT to serve the people of Detroit or stores that are FORCED to serve the people of Detroit but in reality they don't give a fuck about the City or it's people?

Scs100

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice job of pointing out the grammar, Scs.

I guarantee that if I had not read Elements of Style for AP Lang by now, I would've missed that. Sorry for being the grammar police.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanize's point, if I interpret it right, is actually a good one. I'm thinking a Detroit Meijers would be nothing like the upscale Ann Arbor-Saline Meijers"

You gripped the root of it.

I will grow it into a leaf though.

Kroger for example, if they REALLY wanted to serve the city of Detroit, they would have kept teh location at 7 Mile and Gratiot decent and not remove their name from it (Like people wanted them to have a location in the city so bad that they opened one but didn't manage it well and eventually left the location). On the other hand, they want to serve Dearborn if they have 3 locations (2 right next to each other) in a 5 Mile radius.

However, You apparently have stores like Home Depot that DO want to serve the city of Detroit, otherwise, they would have let their westside location fall to pieces and they would have removed their name from it (They wanted to serve the people of Detroit).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3446
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home Depot also has a great outlet at Eastland, which is just outside Detroit.

Scs, totally appropriate though. People mix up that phrase too often. Enjoy that class...

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly from a price perspective Wal-Mart would be best for the consumers of Detroit-Proper. Also, opening stores in Detroit is less of a risk to a Wal Mart because of its size.

I like Meijer a lot but they really would take a hit if they opened a store in Detroit and it faltered.

There used to be a Wal Mart (not too far from the Saline Meijer) off of Michigan Ave in the Ypsilanti area. It was kinda dusty and messy. I wouldn't expect that to be the norm for more stores though.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"lots of talk for Wal-Mart to tap the market"

has there actually been talk of this, or is it just DYers giving Walmart business advice?

Also, how can any of you say that you'd prefer a Walmart over a Meijer or vice versa? Aren't they the same thing? Don't they carry all the same products and have similar prices?

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, and many of the individuals I know, shop at Wal-Mart because it's cheaper than anyplace we've ever been. By a lot sometimes.

I don't like the clutter of Wal-Mart when it's compared to Target or Meijer. Target is only cheaper than Wal-Mart when an item is on sale. Same for Meijer. If you've ever compared prices for things like toiletries, tissue e.t.c. you'd find a noticable price difference. I've never walked out of a Wal Mart feeling like I spent too much on an item.

Scs100

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Enjoy that class...

Only if I can get through A Room of One's Own. Ugh.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 398
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meijer any day over Walmart. Meijer is a regional company and their stores are never as disgusting and dirty as a Walmart.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Didn't have that in my day.

Scs100

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone I talked to who had to read it said it was the worst thing the whole year. So of course it's the summer reading assignment.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I stated previously in my first post, I would love to see Meijer invest in the largest city in their home state.

Being from Michigan, they should be more willing to take a risk on the Detroit market than faceless Walmart.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well looks like Wal-Mart has big plans for metro Detroit. No surprise, Detroit itself has been left out of the plan.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a ssets/PDF/CD23965729.PDF

Urbanize

Post Number: 2037
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CLEVELAND!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.