Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Stevie Wonder To Tour, Visit Detroit in September « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stevie Wonder's first tour in 12 years to include a Detroit visit
August 2, 2007
BY BRIAN McCOLLUM
FREE PRESS POP MUSIC WRITER

Ending a touring hiatus that stretches back more than a decade, Motown music icon Stevie Wonder is set to hit the road for a U.S. run that will include a hometown date in Detroit, the Free Press has learned.

Wonder will announce the tour at a Los Angeles news conference at 4 p.m. Eastern time today.

Details aren’t yet available, but Wonder’s Detroit stop will likely be this fall at a midsized area venue, featuring a stripped-down greatest hits set. His last American run was in 1995, a series of dates that included a multi-night stand at the Fox Theatre.

Wonder has appeared occasionally in Detroit since then, including a Hart Plaza performance in 2001 as headliner for the city’s tricentennial celebration. That gig drew an estimated crowd of more than 1 million in what city officials described as the biggest audience in the plaza’s history.

He was the pregame performer at last year’s Super Bowl XL at Ford Field.

Find this article at:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070802/ENT 04/70802039

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2389
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He played for John Kerry at Cobo Hall before the last stolen election, too.

He sure sounded good.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"before the last stolen election"

wtf?

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 269
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sucks....While Im glad to see Stevie Wonder live....it saddens me that he chose a Rochester Hills venue instead of the Fox. Chene Park would have been REALLY sweet. I for one would pay top dollar to see Stevie live on the Detroit river.

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stevie Wonder came to Cass Tech when I was teaching there; this goes back probably 25-30 years. Not much teaching/learning went on that day! The classes that got to see him perform waited for a couple of hours in the auditorium before he arrived. No class-passing bells were rung, so the students in the classrooms for Period II, or whatever it was, had to stay with that teacher for three hours plus. Despite all this, I guess that he put on quite a show. (I was one of the unfortunate ones that had to stay with a resentful-that-they-couldn't-g o-to-the-performance group.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 828
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why on earth is he playing such a small venue? Sure, it'd be nice to have him play in Detroit, but hell, Pine Knob would make more sense. He'll sell out Meadowbrook in minutes.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His playing, arrangements and singing are all instantly recognizable. His last album was great and I loved his work with Herbie Hancock as well.

Does anyone know if he was an owner of Wonderland Music?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 246
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stevie hasn't been Stevie since 1976.
I'd rather see a Stevie impersonator.
FAKE STEVIE! FAKE SPRINGSTEEN! FAKE EVERYBODY!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.