Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who checks safety of Ambassador Bridge? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the Minnesota bridge collapse, I was wondering who checks the Ambassador Bridge for safety?
The bridge is not publicly owned so does the state still have priority in this case or not?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 545
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

being an international border crossing, I would imagine (or hope) that there are some more restrictions, checks, and care given to the bridge..... A very good question to ask though...It is an older bridge

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm following it correctly, as recently as early 2006, it was entirely in the hands of Matty. There were some attempts to change that, or at least give government access to the records, on both sides of the river. Not sure how successful those bills were though.

On the Canadian side: International Bridges and Tunnels Act

On the Michigan side: SB 1278 - Michigan Border Development and Protection Authority Act

There may be others, but searching for information on Ambassador bridge inspections returns a multitude of results regarding customs inspections, making it difficult to find exactly what i'm looking for.

Scottr

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, looking into it a bit further it appears the Canadian bill received royal assent (i assume that means the same as the president signing it, sorry, i know nothing about canadian law) on February 1st of this year.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/ releases/nat/2007/07-h016e.htm

SB 1278 was referred to the Transportation committee in may of 2006. Unless there's been a different bill introduced since then that I'm overlooking, it would seem to have died there. I haven't checked out the possibility of a federal bill yet, but will if i get a chance.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Canadian bill is now law. Whether or not they've actively started inspecting the bridge or what, I don't know.

The Michigan equivalent is still in the pipeline

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6334
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if the new law has been tested yet, but to date Matty has refused outside government agencies wanting to inspect the bridge, because it's private property.

Scottr

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Yupislyr, I had overlooked the house bill. Hopefully that makes it out of the committee and gets passed in light of recent events.

Personally, I would think that public safety would trump private property in this case. In a state that (until recently) private property could be seized and razed to build a stadium, you would think that regular inspections to protect the lives of citizens wouldn't be such a problem.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's amazing how tragedy will get governments off of their asses. Happens everytime.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 448
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well-said, Scott R. and Gene. Sure does seem like a no-brainer, indeed. Regrettably, public interest isn't high on bridge owner Matty Moroun's list -- or on it at all, evidently.

Not only can't state, provincial or federal officials see Ambassador inspection records (until that new Canadian law is enforced), but they don't even know how often the 1929 span is checked. And Moroun is pushing to build a new bridge alongside it under the same "trust me" inspection cloak.

That makes no sense, agrees Rep. Steve Tobocman of SW Det, sponsor of the pending Michigan Border Development and Protection Authority Act (HB 4563). Like many others on both sides of the river, he feels strongly that government engineers should be allowed to look closely at the deck, cables, pillars, piers, girders, etc. -- just as they do with ALL other major spans statewide and throughout Ontario. On our side, MDOT inspection reports become part of the Federal Highway Administration database that's the source of bridge safety stats cited since the Minneapolis disaster.

Concerns about economic security risks -- as well as safety hazards -- posed by private Ambassador inspections and undisclosed records were voiced nearly 2 years ago in a Windsor Star article headlined 'Bridge urged to release upkeep records / Findings secret after inspections.'

Two excerpts:
quote:

"It's a foreign concept that this one bridge out of all the major bridges is not made public. Anywhere else in the U.S. or Canada, you are required to file a bridge inspection." -- Sam Schwartz, Windsor traffic consultant

"To ensure the (economic) security of the country, the government needs to have this information." -- Ron Reinas, Peace Bridge Authority general manager, Buffalo, NY

Let's hope the Minn. drama gives Tobocman's bill momentum in Lansing.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how matty maroon has gotten along as long as he has with absolutely no oversight or accountability boggles my mind. i definitely hope mr. tobocman's bill is passed.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you grease the right palms, it's amazing how little noise is made about your monopoly.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 258
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan checks spans for safety
"MDOT inspects the International, Mackinac and Blue Water bridges every year because of their size. The Mackinac passed inspection last week; the International and Blue Water are undergoing inspection, Steudle said.

The privately owned Ambassador Bridge handles its own inspection in conjunction with federal officials. Steudle said the bridge recently passed inspection. Inspectors use a complicated formula to judge a bridge's condition, looking for signs of deterioration, cracking and misalignment."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/M ETRO/708030407/1003

(Message edited by dnvn522 on August 03, 2007)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 155
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didja notice they listed no rating? Huh? Didja?

Take the tunnel!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1504
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth or myth: Crews constantly paint the Mackinac bridge, when they get all the way to once side, it's time to start again.

That's what I've heard anyway.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Crews constantly paint the Mackinac bridge ...

That reminds me. This will air on August 7: Dirty Jobs sets air date for Mackinac Bridge episode.
quote:

Mike Rowe from the Discovery Channel’s "Dirty Jobs" visited the Mackinac Bridge in May to film an episode showcasing the work that bridge maintenance crews perform each year on the "Mighty Mac." The hour-long Mackinac Bridge episode, entitled "Bridge Painter," is scheduled to air on Tuesday, August 7, at 9 p.m., on the Discovery Channel. The episode is airing in conjunction with the bridge’s 50-year anniversary.

Scottr

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Crews constantly paint the Mackinac bridge,

according to wikipedia, the radio broadcast you can listen to while crossing mentions that. I believe that's true of the Golden Gate too. Although it sounds like it would be an unnecessary expenditure for pure aesthetics, the paint helps to protect the bridge from corrosion, so is a very important part of maintenance.

figures i have to work the night of the dirty jobs airing. guess i'll have to catch it on reruns. probably will air again later that night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.