Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Pointe BBQ Closed? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this was alluded to in a previous thread, but it looks like the restaurant is closed. The Detroit Spice Company discussion made me hungry for some Detroit BBQ sauce, so I did a Google search and game across the website: www.pointebbq.com.

I was glad to see they offer their sauce online, but then I read this:

"The Original Pointe BBQ, located at 17410 East Warren for more than 50 years, has been a Detroit landmark made famous by delectable ribs and mouth-watering chicken all served up with your choice of Original Pointe BBQ sauce.

ALTHOUGH NO LONGER OPEN FOR WALK-IN BUSINESS, the sauces are being made available on-line for the many loyal patrons of The Original Pointe BBQ that have been coming to the restaurant to enjoy the food for many years. In fact, now you can enjoy that special flavor wherever you go in the United States and the world!

We still make the sauces at the same location, with the same recipes and the same great care that have always been the trademark of our award winning fare."

The site also says:

"You can also visit Dave Muer's BluePointe restaurant, just a block west of The Original Pointe BBQ on Warren Ave. for the very same ribs, chicken, coleslaw, garlic bread and famous BBQ sauces that you enjoyed at The Original Pointe BBQ."

Anyone know anything about this?

Mzdybel
Username: Mzdybel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try the 18th street rib place on Garfield and 18 mile road in Clinton Township. I believe the same owner runs the place.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the Blue Pointe. I was a busboy and a broiler chef there back in the '80s. Good times. Good bread. Great fettucine. Mmm ...

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Blue Pointe last week. The BBQ is on the back of the menu.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: The Pointe Bar-B-Que? (E. Warren and Cadieux. ) Is it really closed?
Is there anything sacred anymore?

Does anyone remember when the Checker Bar-B-Que, (Livernois?) was acclaimed, nationwide, as the 'best ribs in the country?
Also, Detroit was immortalized in the song, "The House of Blue Lights."

Author/Artist/Singer: Andrew Sisters
Music Title/Track: House Of Blue Lights
Theme ID: 23114
Album: N/A

House Of Blue Lights Do-do-do-do-dodiliada lada rebop Do-do-do-do-dodiliada lada rebop Lace up your boots and we'll grove on down To a knocked out shack on the edge of town There's an eight piece combo that just won't quit Keep walkin' 'til you see a blue light lit Fall in there and we'll see some sights At the house the house of blue lights There's fryers and broilers and Detroit barbeque ribs But the treat of the treats is when they serve you those fine eight beats You'll want to spend the rest of your brights Down at the house, The house of blue lights We'll have a time and we'll cut some rug While we dig those tunes like they should be dug It's a real home comin' for all those

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Pointe a few times. Totally retro (on the verge of creepy) interior design. Like "Sweet Charity" and Bob Fosse meets Art Van.

Great food though.

I've never been to Blue Hairs...I mean Blue Pointe. Hahaha...we always joked about the early diners there and big buicks out front.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents would take us to Pointe BBQ, Wimpy's, Cadieux Cafe, Kavans, & the Med Lounge (great pizza) as kids. I know the Cadieux is still there, but I think the rest are gone??

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved the Pointe. We used to go there all the time for family dinners.

I heard one of the Muers bought the place.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Wimpy's is still there.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

applesauce:
I have been racking my CRS brain for a week trying to recall "Kavans." The greatest "Ground Round Burger" in the world. That was our evening retreat after a handball workout.We were so dehydrated, the first two beers never got to our stomachs. They just evaporated into our systems.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I knew, the owners were the same people who owned Blue Pointe and Harvard Grille (on Mack).

Applesauce, yes Cadieux Cafe is still there complete with feather bowling. Wimpy's was AWESOME but closed down 3 or 4 years ago.

Rocket_bozo
Username: Rocket_bozo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

memory check - O'k you Kavan's experts. Where was the location of Kavan's 1 and then Kavan's 2?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Morang Road for #1. A wonderful spot, and a former East side favorite. Always a line, but it moved fast.
Hayes Road in Roseville for #2--"Colony East".

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 131
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"memory check - O'k you Kavan's experts. Where was the location of Kavan's 1 and then Kavan's 2?"

Actually, even before the location on Morang, KaVan's had a place on E.Jefferson between Conner and St.Jean. I don't know when they left that location. On the Roseville location they have on the sign KaVan's Colony East since 1912. I always figured the location on Morang opened at the earliest in the late 1940's and probably 1950's. Are Bill or Clarence alive anymore ? I have heard the family has nothing to do with business and its just their name on the building

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one on 8 mile east of Groesbeck, in Detroit. It was later a Rustler Steakhouse like Bonanza.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that after the Morang property was sold, Mrs. Kavan moved into a beautiful home on the corner of Lakeshore and Moross in GPF. I don't know if she is still there or not. The property had a rather extensive Christmas light display during the holidays.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's still a Kavan's on Hayes just south of 12 Mile in Warren. Good burgers!
Didn't the Kavan's on Morang have photos, in the entryway and above the tables, of celebrities (mostly local ones) who'd eaten there? I seem to remember viewing them while waiting for a table.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Kavan's was at Morang and Nottingham.
Not far from Harper & Nottingham.

Michael Muer runs the Harvard Grille, while his older brother David runs the Blue Pointe.

I worked for those guys in the '80s.

Very good experience, overall.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue used to work at Kavan's, the Pointe BBQ, caddy in GP and work at Powell's while going to Denby.......and dating SE chicks in the late 50's......my hero!!!!!!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 998
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock,

Mrs. Kavan's house was not on the corner, it was next door to the light show house on Lakeshore.

She has since moved to another house.

Larry worked on Morang for a while before his dad died...and then decided that was not the way he wanted to spend his time.

Chris was managing the other Kavan's for a while. I believe that he got out as well when the family sold off the business.

Mr. Kavan passed away back in the 70's. I still remember coming back to the pew from communion at St. Pauls. I was next to a Presbyterian friend of mine...after a minute, he showed me the host that he still had in his hand and asked me what he was supposed to do with it?

I told him to put it in his mouth and be quiet.

Eastside61

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Blue used to be a Kavan's most weekends.....In fact he took his prom date to Kavan's after the dance....what a guy!!!!!

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez ES61....your memory is fading!! I never worked at Kavan's...just did my best to help them stay in business by consuming prestigious amounts of their fine beer...especially on St. Pat's Day...and fish on Fridays! Also, did not work at Powell's...it was Fox Portrait Studio on Gratiot...$25 for an all day wedding...plus all you could eat and drink...and the eternal hope of a 19 yr. old to get lucky! I did however, caddy at the CC of D...wearing chinos and golf spikes...I was movin' on up!! It was far more honorable than mugging young ladies with the Mapleridge Mob!!

Yeah So!!...she loved going to the Colony East after the prom....so what if she was only 15!! It beat a buying a six pack and parking behind Columbus school as I heard you did with SH!!

Irish: Naw....us Presbyterians know what to do with the host at communion...shame on your friend...he/she must have just come from Kavan's!! lolol.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest GoBlue, he wasn't known to show up at Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian with much regularity....

Goblue

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish: Well...we Presbyterians aren't noted for a great deal of devotion...I think that's why I switched from Missouri Synod Lutheran...a little more relaxed...I was raised in Messiah Lutheran on Kercheval just west of Chalmers. ES61 however...well...you know what those Detroit expatriates living in San Francisco-Los Altos Hills are like!!...and since we also know what the Mapleridge Mob was like it would be best if we both put in a good word for him when his day arrives!!

Eastside61

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish & GB - I am wearing a bright orange jump suit as part of a work furlough program I was placed in while tracking down a girl friend of GB's who lived on Parkgrove....So I need a sponsor to assist me in being reassigned out of this program.....I know you boy's will help!!!!!!

Goblue

Post Number: 265
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ES61: Justice served!!! Even if 50 years too late!! Bill H. is smiling in his grave!

Eastside61

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GB - I do remember sitting at the Pointe BBQ one night with Bill H discussing his anger about some caddy or cad...can't remember who was making advances towards the Fox SH......He had his weapon out and said he was heading to Fordham ave on the Eastside.....I wonder what happened????

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys,
This is great stuff...although a bit outside my everyday experience as I knew the the Kavans as friends more from the down the street than across the bar..(that said, I spent my fair share of time on the back end of restaurants as well as the front end of the bar).

You guys need to get together for a beer...maybe at the Irish Coffee.

Goblue

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish: I only knew Clarence across the bar...a great inn keeper...and he kept the Mapleridge Mob riff raff out of his saloon...he served up an honest beer along with a great walleye dinner on Fridays...all at a reasonable price. I have great memories of his pub.

ES61: If you were sitting at the pub with Bill H. I was already married and close to having a kid at that point...his daughter was a long faded memory...since your experience with her was considerably more intimate than mine (if that's the right word) you were likely the one with sweat running down your neck!! I believe that you shrinks refer to such thought transference as projection!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5166
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GoBlue, even the other Lutheran's (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the largest synod)... think of the Missouri Synod as something out of the 1950's, VERY conservative.

Since I used to work down the road from Kavan's (at Chatham at Morang & Kelly), I too visited there many times in the 70's & 80's. Loved the burgers.

That light show at Moross & Lakeshore really rocks. Only surpassed by the one nearer Vernier where 2 homes really light up the night sky with retina burning bright red lights in the trees.

Too bad Art Van Elslander doesn't do his Christmas displays like he did in the past at his French chateau north of the GP Yacht Club.

Goblue

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: You are right about that...the Missouri Synod was/is right out of the middle ages...I was actually fortunate that they ran me out by shunning when I ran for the presidency of a congregation in Kalamazoo...the issue was that I stood for equal voting rights for women...the minister went nuts over that idea and organized his followers...the younger members who agreed with me didn't have the cojones to stand up...that was in the early '70's. Today we've found a spiritual home in a very open and intellectual Presbyterian congregation here in AZ.

Had to love those burgers at the Colony East...washed down with a cold draft.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Too bad Art Van Elslander doesn't do his Christmas displays like he did in the past at his French chateau north of the GP Yacht Club."

He still does. It's just that it's upstaged now by the house a few blocks south of Vernier that is more accessible from the street. You can actually park and get out and see it, and not from behind iron gates.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5195
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True Maxcarey, but the Van Elslander display is not as spectacular as it was a few years ago. I take my elderly mother down Lakeshore to view the displays every year, and she even mentioned that Art Van's show wasn't what it used to be.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wimpys is close. Thats pretty sad. It was a great place to go.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wimpy's was closed quite awhile ago.
Point BBQ was sold and will rise as a new restaurant stay tuned... Same Bat place, same Bat channel

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.