Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » $200M entertainment complex proposed near MetroAirport « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sports plan draws skeptics

Officials question proposal for $200M entertainment complex near Metro Airport.

Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/M ETRO/708030417

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press missed a period on one of those sentences...

Isn't that where airport city was supposed to go?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure but I know there was talk of Ilitch building a new Red Wings arena out that way...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, let him.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Thank you for validating the point I made in the "What if DYers ran Detroit" thread

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like taking a corn field and suburbanizing it. With all of the growth in Michigan, I guess it was bound to happen (sarcasm Implied). Maybe it will be as successful at the Novi Fountain Walk (sarcasm implied).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1280
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point?

I would like to see them in the city but I don't think the Red Wings presence is essential to rebuilding Detroit. Let's not forget that they were there throughout Detroit's decline. So if your point is to say that if I were mayor, I would not bend over backwards to keep the Red Wings in the city, then yes, point made. There are bigger fish to fry.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 490
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, entertainment alone will not save a city, but at least detroit is still the "entertainment center" (sort of) if we didn't have that, would people in suvs and detroit tigers baseball caps have any reason to drunkenly cut me off while i'm riding my bike down grandriver?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Yeah, but the entertainment that is there now won't be going anywhere any time soon. If I were running the show, I would probably decide that the resources put into tap dancing for Illitch would be best spent tap dancing elsewhere.

This isn't to say that I wouldn't encourage the Red Wings to stay in the city. But Detroit could take the money spent subsidizing another element to the Illitch empire and do a lot more... for instance: put it towards a transit system, subsidize smaller businesses who are interested in filling the vacant storefronts along Woodward, distributing more of a police presence throughout the city, etc., etc.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't they jusst incorporate the area where the Sports Complex will be into the C of D?

Just like other cities would do with the land that nearest and includes their Airport (Chicago, Cleveland, Indianapolis if I recall did it).

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked for a company that was involved with this project a couple years ago. I'm surprised it ever got off the ground... and not surprised that the city of Romulus didn't even know about it.
Talk about a shifty operation... we'll see if this ever breaks ground.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the idea is that whenever "new urbanists" start to talk about building a place with mass transit, jobs, recreation, etc., the movers and shakers figure they can just put in a stadium instead and stop things cold. Too many years of playing Sim City. You know -- Coming soon: A cricket stadium. It's only a matter of time before the arcologies sprout. Heh.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, people must care too much about Sports than all that other Mumbo Jumbo, because I don't see a big riot when they put a new Stadium down to cover up the stuff.

Katie Couric (which y'al wouldn't care) said they would spend 500 Million dollars and plenty of time on New Stadiums, but not so much on bridges to save people's lives.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 03, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Katie Couric (which y'al wouldn't care) said they would spend 500 Million dollars and plenty of time on New Stadiums, but not so much on bridges to save people's lives. "

Or properly building levees...

Thejesus

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^then why don't you just elect people who will do those things? Is it because complaining is more fun?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical Romulus field of dreams. How many grandiose plans have been pitched for this location only to turn out to be half-baked fantasies or completely unreasonable plans for the area. It's Romulus after all. You would be hard-pressed to find another community that's more ready to buy into these fools gold dreams than Romulus.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"^then why don't you just elect people who will do those things? Is it because complaining is more fun?"

Well, I didn't vote for the current President... so maybe the candidate I voted for would have thought it more important to have the Army Corps of Engineers build a proper levee system for a major American city than chasing fools gold in Iraq? If only my single vote had that much weight...

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 48
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the last election wasn't fixed.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the collaboration between the city and county. If the developer wants to spend 200 million on a deal like that, why not centralize it????

-say ummmmhhhh maybe DETROIT!!!

This region is ass-backwards!!!

Is the Ilitchs afraid of a little competition?

It would not be competition if it were built in the same area.

It would make Detroit an unparalled entertainment-destination mecca.

<313>

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, it's a pie-in-the-sky fantasy of some wanna-be developer. Why should anyone spend time on collaboration for something that will never come to pass?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.