Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What If Detroit Y'ers Ran The City » Archive through August 03, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Username: 3420

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What if we were the ones on council, the mayor, county executive or in high positions to make changes? How better off would Detroit be? Would it be good or bad? Just seems al ot of us care then there are some who may not agree with what some may say. Just a thought I had. Can't sleep and that just popped in my head.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being Mayor or a Councilmember doesn't make you God (despite what some members might believe!) There's a lot wrong with Detroit that can't be changed by changing who's in charge, even if you're full of idealism and ideas. That doesn't mean you can't have an impact but government, even good government, can't fix everything.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather be the President, then Detroit would have whatever it desired for at least 4 years.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Novine. I think people on this board have a lot of OPINION, but very little experience in how to fix stuff that they're so vocal about. If DYers got elected, I would definitely move -- fast!

LOL

Username: 3420

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason why I started the topic because I have noticed how so many have so many different views and takes on Detroit on this forum. Some have good ideas and some have some very interesting ones as well.

Yes a lot of people on this forum are full of ideas and some are good and bad. I have noticed over the past few years that some could step into the political arena if they so desire. You can almost groom yourself on this forum for a run and take it to the public to see if they agree with what you want to do.

But it just seems that if some were in power including me, I think there could be some changes. Not necessarily all bad, but some that will help Detroit. Just my 2 cents.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 657
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody on here can run for council if you are a resident.
I wonder if any council members are actually forumers

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any one of us could start by being honest and paying our own way for anything that is not directly city business. That would be an improvement, and a good start.

Beyond that, there's a lot of political cunning required to stay in the game

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2034
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an interesting Topic to say the least.

I wonder what would happen if people on here ran the city judging from a lot of the personalities and opinions I hear.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If DYers ran the city, there's be no Comerica Park, no Ford Field, no Compuware, no Quicken loans, and no anything else that would have required a generous tax credit package to draw the business in question...

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd cast my vote to have Danny as mayor!!!

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would rather be the President, then Detroit would have whatever it desired for at least 4 years.

I like your ambition Sekou. Time to upgrade that handle.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 593
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much worse could we possibly do than the people who have been running Detroit for the past fifty years?

Also, I strongly question the idea that the City government has little control over the City's destiny. I think it matters a very great deal who is running Detroit and what they think is important.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9099
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my first idea:

A large, full-time department working to remove any falling-down buildings that are beyond repair. Lots would be covered with gravel to prevent weeds. During nice weather, this dept would work 24/7 and would do inside-school maintenance and upgrades during bad weather.

Another department (perhaps already existing but not always evident) would work 24/7 to remove junk from D's streets, alleys and lots. Old cars and other debris would all go - nothing would be exempt. Items appearing to have value would be held (redeemable with proof of ownership and a small ransom) in a large open lot for 10 days (with pics on the web) then up for sale on the web for the next 10 days, going-going-gone to the highest bidder, removal within 48 hours.

Goal: Casual passers-by might look at a neat/clean neighborhood/lot and think "Hmmm, I might consider building something there." I don't think this is happening now.......

Thejesus

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How much worse could we possibly do than the people who have been running Detroit for the past fifty years? "

I'm not sure you'd do any better by having the people that elected those people running the city...

it's perplexing to a non-Detroiter to watch these same kinds of people keep getting elected when they are clearly incompetent and do nothing but embarrass the city...

Karl

Post Number: 9101
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Jesus! (oops, I mean thejesus....)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9688
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the Dyers you guys are criticizing are willing to live and invest in the city as opposed to living in Northville or Arizona.

I disagree with many Dyers and much of what our city givernment does but that does not change the fact that the city needs people living in the city and investmenting here - something those DYers that you two choose to criticize are willing to do (Paying tuition does not count as investing in the city in my opinion).

It is easier to criticize from the stands than to actually put yourself on the field and try to do something.

My major criticism of DYers running the city is that there would be very little, if any, attention given to the neighborhoods and the services those neighborhoods received.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I don't see the connection you are making...we're talking about DYers running the city and electing incompetent politicians to represent their interests...

Whether you live in Detroit or Northville, if you elect people like Monica Conyers to represent your interests, you're an idiot...

Jt1

Post Number: 9690
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The connection is that people like yourself are all too willing to criticize but unwilling to do anything to help improve the city.

It is also pretty important to realize that many on this forum did not vote for those in office which you seem unwilling to realize. The simple fact of the matter is that CC does not represent most of the people on this forum, myself included.

quote:

Whether you live in Detroit or Northville, if you elect people like Monica Conyers to represent your interests, you're an idiot...

If you live in Northville you can't vote in the city. If you are that concerned then move to the city and make your voice heard at the booths. If we get enough people to come to the city that, like many of us here, don't like CC we can replace them.

It is easy to criticize and do nothing. You can criticize the voters all you want but making the blind, ignorant assumption that CC represents DYers or all residents just shows that you are not giving this any real thought.

Should I also assume that Granholm represents you? Well, you live in the state so you must be an idiot because she is governor of Michigan and you must have voted for her.

You can criticize all you want but your opinion is worthless since you are leaving it to everyone else to change the city and criticizing them when it doesn't satisfy you.

Karl

Post Number: 9105
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, many people on these forums came to Detroit at one time for what they saw there - and left for the same reasons.

Do you want to talk about ideas that might attract future residents? Or whine?

You would be wise to listen to ALL ideas, not just those who are in the pot of water with you - a pot that just may begin to boil again sometime soon.

Feel free to define "boil" however you wish.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What If Detroit Y'ers Ran The City"

We'd have a City Council that lives with their parents in Northville.

(Message edited by sharmaal on August 03, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 9691
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl - I am all for ideas and any innovations that will help improve the city. I do however think that it is completely low class to refuse to live in or invest in the city any believe that you have the right to criticize those trying to improve the city.

Anyone that contributes positively to this city has much more of my respect than people like yourself who criticize and lecture but never do a thing to help the city.

Talk does nothing, actions are what one is judged on. In this situation you are large on talk and non-existent on action. If you aren't willing to help you have no right to criticize.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What If Detroit Y'ers Ran The City

Big ideas, bickering, banishment, bankruptcy.

As fun as it is to make fun of our clowns, the ones in charge now are a major improvement compared to the bunch that was there before.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots would be covered with gravel to keep down weeds? As an urban gardener, that's a horrible idea. Do you know how long it takes to get gravel out of soil? You'll be growing weird-looking carrots for years and years.

Hell, why not just take a page from the Israelis and salt the earth so that nothing will ever grow again?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Big ideas, bickering, banishment, bankruptcy

And beer.

Karl

Post Number: 9107
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Jt1 - Detroit is not a beginner's science experiment. There are plenty of folks who have long experience with and in the COD, as well as many who've experienced success/failure in other cities. I believe in experience, not children who don't want to learn by others mistakes.

As long as somewhere/something exemplifies not being professionally run, don't expect others to invest time and/or money.

It would appear that by posting ideas here, one is investing time. If you don't appreciate that, don't read it. If you expect folks to simply show up with bags of money to invest where so many others have done so and been run out/burned out/shot at/etc continue down your yellow brick road of silliness.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We'd have a City Council that lives with their parents in Northville."

Or we'd have a bunch of morons who don't understand the concept of a working adult employed full-time taking classes in the evening to earn a graduate degree...given the demographics here, I'd day that one's more likely...and Sharmaal could chair...

Jt1

Post Number: 9692
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Another department (perhaps already existing but not always evident) would work 24/7 to remove junk from D's streets, alleys and lots. Old cars and other debris would all go - nothing would be exempt. Items appearing to have value would be held (redeemable with proof of ownership and a small ransom) in a large open lot for 10 days (with pics on the web) then up for sale on the web for the next 10 days, going-going-gone to the highest bidder, removal within 48 hours.

Karl - There are a lot of neighborhood clean up programs. Are you willing to volunteer for any of them?

Thejesus

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I do however think that it is completely low class to refuse to live in or invest in the city any believe that you have the right to criticize those trying to improve the city."

Dude, what are you talking about? You rip on the suburbs all the time, and you don't live in any of them...

oh damn...I'm sorry...was I not supposed to point out your hypocrisy there? I know that pretty much turns your whole argument to shit...my bad...

Jt1

Post Number: 9693
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or we'd have a bunch of morons who don't understand the concept of a working adult employed full-time taking classes in the evening to earn a graduate degree...

Of course many of us have already done that but do continue your stereotyping. Does your arm get sore from continually patting yourself on the back for going to grad school at night? You cretainly are not the exception - I believe that the vast majority of people in my Masters program were working during the day and attending at night.

Jt1

Post Number: 9694
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I do however think that it is completely low class to refuse to live in or invest in the city any believe that you have the right to criticize those trying to improve the city."

Dude, what are you talking about? You rip on the suburbs all the time, and you don't live in any of them...

oh damn...I'm sorry...was I not supposed to point out your hypocrisy there? I know that pretty much turns your whole argument to shit...my bad...

All the time is one heck of a stretch. Can you show me the last time that I 'ripped' on the suburbs? You seem to think that it is every post when it is few and far between as opposed to your constant preaching to people in the city that are trying to improve the city.

Search away and find all of the posts 'ripping' on the suburbs. I'm sure that you will insist that you don't have the time to search.