Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Outer Drive-Hines Bike Route « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My proposal-- designate a lane in each direction on Outer Drive for bicycles starting at Livernois Avenue in the north, all the way to the Detroit River in the south. Where Outer Drive intersects Hines Park, the bike lanes would join the paths along Hines Drive. Cyclists would then have an unbroken route from Northville to the north side of Detroit, just a mile from the State Fair Grounds, Palmer Park, and Ferndale in Oakland County. The southern part of Outer Drive would give the same access to the areas between Dearborn and Ecorse, starting near the Detroit River.
[More about this and a map here.]

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it. Looks good, and could go a long way toward bringing people back into the area.. people who normally wouldn't be there. Traffic Calming in that it would reduce the wide open perception that leads to high speeds from drivers. Plus.. it's already there. It would take some work, and some money, but the ROI would be significant.

Parkguy

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that it would be relatively cheap to implement. It would be nice if the route could be extended beyond Outer Drive to Palmer Park/State Fair on one end and to the river on the other, though. Ann Arbor runs bike lanes on streets much narrower than Outer Drive, too. And, of course, I'm a big fan of traffic calming.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outer Drive and Hines Drive are both county roads. You would only need to contact Wayne Parks and Wayne Department of Public Services to start the road portion rolling along.

That makes the process a bit easier.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it. I've rode on Hines Drive from Northville to where it intersects Outer Drive, and to continue a designated path all the way downtown would be great.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy, I love the idea. Realistically from what I know first hand, this is going to require a combination of time, grassroots support, key retirements within DPS, and Ficano carrying the torch. This project would be a good challenge, especially given the current cuts in County Park funding and DPS' 1970s auto-centric views.

Detroit's portion of West Outer Drive is a pleasure to bike now with a small exception in Brightmoor where the curb lane is not extra wide and flooding causes extra debris on the road.

East Outer Drive is not bad either except for the tighter roadway conditions near the City Airport

Parkguy

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the rough stretch of Outer Drive. It is between I-96 overpass and the Detroit Diesel plant, just south of the tracks (CSX, I think). You are right-- they would need to either widen the road for a lane or add a paved bike path. It is probably 3/10 of a mile or so.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, that's the stretch. The clockwise portion by Detroit Diesel has a wider lane. There may even be a paved shoulder north of the Fullerton tracks to the Rouge River Bridge. But with all the flooding, there's a lot of debris on the road and the pavement needs replacement -- the last time I was there.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 483
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bike this route and it's very nice. I also used the SMART bike racks and they are very nice also and one of the many reasons that I want to see our public bus service improve.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this does seem like a really simple idea that could have been thought of sooner. Trivial thought: wouldn't Northville to north Detroit by way of Hines to Outer Drive, be going really out of the way? I guess it beats a bike lane on Eight Mile though...

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is out of the way. One shortcut is to take W. Chicago between Hines and Outer Drive. That's another nice road to bike on.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5633
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add in Ann Arbor Trail near Telegraph.

I formerly lived near Warren and Greenfield.

Warren to Ann Arbor Trail to Hines Drive up to Northville to work, (later, to just Merriman) was my regular bike path to work.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.