Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Kid visiting from Indiana next week « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 11-year-old nephew is coming to visit Detroit next week. He's from a fairly small Indiana town in a sea of cornfields (think John Mellencamp). I want to show him a uniquely Detroit experience, but not freak him out too much.
So far, I think I'll take him on the Rouge plant tour, do a weekday walk on the Riverwalk/downtown, and it'd be cool to get Tigers tickets. Other suggestions?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids like ice cream...there are plenty of places downtown like Coldstone (Greektown), Happy Cream, and Ben and Jerry's (Monroe-Compuware). Get a cone or a meal and take a respite in Campus Martius. Let him take in the landscape of the city and the skyscrapers in a rather non-threatening setting.

Belle Isle? Watch the freighters and see the famous international view.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 737
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum
http://www.marvin3m.com/

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 161
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sit and watch the fountain at Campus Martius. Im a bit older than 11 and Im still mesmerized by it. Cant go wrong with the Science Center either. They have great hands on stuff for kids in the general admission area.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2897
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely hit Marvin's.

Also, try American/Lafayette Coney Island, The Detroit Science Center, The Detroit Historical Museum, The Parade Company and I'm not sure if they've reopened it or not...but you could try to go to the top of the Ren Cen to take everything in at the end of the day.

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle, the Nature Center is free and you can feed the deer at certain times of the day. And there is also the Swan paddle boats. I think thats $5 per person. The Dossin Museum is only open on the weekends, but thats a neat place to go through. My son likes the pilot house.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Simpsons Movie is playing at the Ren Cen theatre.

The Heidelberg Project might be fun for him.

Ice cream, the Riverwalk, and Science Center all sound like great ideas too. There might also be some sort of concert/festival going on at the time.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2072
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Simpsons Movie is playing at the Ren Cen theatre."

Why would you take someone that's visiting for a unique experience to see a Movie that he can see at a Movie House in his small town?

Anyway, how about taking him to a Water Park (such as Four Bears or Red Oaks) or the Zoo?

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

four bears closed a few years ago. It was like watching part of my childhood die. Red Oaks is super nice though and expensive if you arent a resident.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Wow, that sucks. Not really surprised though because the location is the main reason they closed (talk about Sprawl).

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 04, 2007)

Ed_golick

Post Number: 740
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Four Bears closed because the owner was murdered.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2075
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Ok, my question is, why doesn't anyone want to own and run it and why wouldn't his relatives keep it open if that was the only reason?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize,
This might answer your question.
http://www.geocities.com/jiggs 2000_us/stramaglia.html

Diehard

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Actually, if he wants to do a water park we're really close to the Chandler Park center and it looks pretty cool. (We'd have to be careful about the rest of the park though - I hear there's some unsavory stuff going on there, not to mention the rogue cops looking for a peep show...)
Marvin's looks like a blast, kind of a haul to get there from the east side, but who knows?
We'll definitely be spending a lot of time downtown and on Belle Isle. He'll dig the freighters.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2078
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well yeah, I thought about recommending Chandler Park, but I've heard some stuff about the Water Park them that's just as bad as the rumors about the park.

Anyway, no prob. I hope your Nephew has a wonderful experience on his visit to Motown.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When my I guess about 13 year old step cousin came to Detroit from Brownsville, TX, he and his grandma went to The Detroit Science Center and really enjoyed it. So I second that recommendation.

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd go for the Science center too. Also, out of the city, but the metroparks are pretty cool. Lake Erie metropark has a very cool wave pool...as does Chandler Park from what I understand.
Just make sure you stuff him with Better Made chips, Vernors and/or Faygo, Kowalski lunch meat or hot dogs, and any other Detroit made food.
Oh....just thought of it...check out the "Hamtramck Disneyland" in the alley between Klinger and Sobieski in Hamtramck. It's pretty amazing what my mom's neighbor has created over the years...odd, yet amazing:

http://images.defcode.com/inde x.php?pageType=folder&currDir= ./Hamtramck/2005_03_27_Hamtram ck_Disneyland

Have a great time!

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heaven forbid I might think an 11-year-old might want to see The Simpsons Movie while on vacation.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^11 year olds have changed. They're not like the old 11 years old that used to work like "do whatever and I'll be happy", they act like pre-mature teens.

Anyway, Diehard said a UNIQUE DETROIT EXPERIENCE. I don't see anything about a Movie Theatre or The Simpson Movie (as good and entertaining as it may be) UNIQUE or DETROIT. In addition, I didn't say the boy DIDN'T want to see the movie either.

I sure wouldn't be expecting anyone to travel over 100 Miles just to see the Simpsons Movie.

As I said, the boy probably either have seen it already or he can see it at his local Movie Theatre anyway.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2559
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's Diamond Jack's for kids? Too boring? Being from Indiana he probably hasn't been out on the water like that.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2087
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Unless he lives somewhere near Gary or Michigan City, then no.

Taking him on some type of Boat Ride would be nice.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2560
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't call Gary or Michigan City "a fairly small Indiana town in a sea of cornfields (think John Mellencamp)."

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 142
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How's Diamond Jack's for kids? Too boring? Being from Indiana he probably hasn't been out on the water like that

Our school's 3rd and 4th grade classes went on the Diamond Jack tour and loved it! That's a little younger than 11 but it would probably still be enjoyable!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6317
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take him to the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. He would learn something there.

Also take him to Greektown, Chaldeantown, Corktown, Mexicantown, Midtown, New Center Area, Northland Mall ( the first urban mall the U.S.) The Detroit Zoo, Hart Plaza, REN CEN, The Detroit Historical Museum, Belle Isle, Greenfield Village, Henry Ford Museum, the Fox Theatre, Comerica Park, Old Tiger Stadium before its torn down, Eastern Market, Someset Mall, Great Lakes Crossing, The very first Kmart in Downtown Garden City, Asian Village, the Muslim Communities of Dearborn, The Museum of Arab American History, Wayne State University, and many more.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the water slide at Belle Isle still open?

Mcp001

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible to still go inside of Tiger Stadium (legally)?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1730
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"four bears closed a few years ago."

Yeah, and it was built on toxic soil too.

Diehard

Post Number: 95
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His town is about 350 miles away, in a terribly boring area between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, so no, he's not around bodies of water any bigger than you can wade across. I like the Diamond Jack idea and pretty much anything along the waterfront. I also want him to get a taste of diversity - it's pretty redneck down there.
Seeing the Simpsons would be a last resort if it's raining. We'll definitely step inside the RenCen for a while anyway.
Can anyone recommend the Rouge Plant tour? I've heard it's really cool, but I'm not sure if an 11-year-old would dig it.

Mcp001

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't done the Rouge tour, but I have been in auto plants before.

If he's into cars, then he might get a kick out of it.

If he's not interested in that, or anything mechanical, you might want to schedule something else.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot more to the Rouge tour that just seeing the line. You catch the bus in front of HF Museum and during the drive to the Rouge there are short sections of video that play along the route - that part was ok. When you get to the Rouge they drive you through the complex, pointing out stamping, paint plant, overpass, etc. then stop at the visitors center. There's a short film about the place, then they move you into a sensory-type theater to give a feel of different places you can't tour - the floor rumbles with stamping, the heat goes up for the steel mill, while you watch the processes on a screen that runs all the way around the room (musical score by the DSO specifically for the presentation). Upstairs at the visitors center you can overlook the complex while they explain about 'green manufacturing', the living roof on the assembly building, the experimental porous asphalt in a section of the parking lot, the fact that the plant was built on swampland that Ford got for something like 15 or 30 cents an acre, that the swales around the lots act like natural filters, and other enviro friendly stuff. After that you can see the line - there's a walkway above the floor with signs and videos to explain the different stations. There are also volunteers, usually retired or laid-off autoworkers, who can explain stuff in depth. There's also a small collection of historical vehicles on display. Once the bus drops you at the visitors center you have all the time you want until the final bus of the day leaves.

The line doesn't run every day but I didn't feel that was a detriment - it was easier to hear and learn about things. Really, history and processes are the focus of the tour - cars are a small part of it.

New Ford Rouge

(Message edited by lilpup on August 05, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.