Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit knows how to do Bridges « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 800
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The link has pictures of the new bridge at 8 Mile & Woodward. It's pretty.....

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070804/M ETRO05/708040375

It will never be mistaken for the beautiful Alexander III Bridge in Paris, but the Woodward Avenue Bridge at Eight Mile is looking pretty snazzy these days. After nearly a year of construction, the Michigan Department of Transportation is within days of completing a $17 million remake of the bridge that carries Woodward traffic over Eight Mile.

The bridge -- which is a National Historic Landmark -- has had a complete remake from top to bottom, including a new deck, road surface, upgraded guard rails, decorative lighting and a new paint job.

(Message edited by yvette248 on August 04, 2007)

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 950
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blah its the same thing that you see at telegraph and 96 some nice new paint(concrete) and new metal fences yippie and a few new standard light post from downtown detroit. it would have been better if they torn the thing down like ferndale and detroit wanted.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5018
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the Telegraph-I96 bridge and the 8 Mile/Lodge Bridge have the solid bulk of the Woodward/8 Mile Bridge, or do they have mostly hollow undersides?

If they look like regular freeway bridges, then I can understand the amount of details that were added to this bridge, since it is an architectural work not usually found in large roadway bridges.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 428
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want a aerial! <313>

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9172
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we're talking about Detroiters and the great bridges they build, how about a hand for all those designers/builders in the past who gave us the bridges that we now have - and are still standing, thank you very much!

Perhaps someone could be kind enough to post a list of our bridges (and tunnels!) and the year each was built? Most are older than 40 like the one that fell in MSP.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, my question is, "If you are driving, how well will you be able to see the panels of artwork?" Just seems like a waste of money and a possible traffic distraction. I guess if they are facing the local lanes you'll see them when you get a red light. I guess.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1293
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Nor will you be able to enjoy them as a pedestrian for obvious reasons...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That bridge should have been torn down. It does far more to divide than it does to connect. Even MDOT admitted traffic flow there does not require a bridge. Plus it cost more to rebuild the bridge than to make it all street level. A bad choice, regardless of the pretty lights they are putting on it.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 951
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my thoughts exactly johnlodge

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they wanted a bridge so bad, they should have made 8 Mile a bridge.

However, it would have been better for them to make at least Woodward street level, but keep the 8 Mile Service Drives. So I do agree

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad the Woodward bridge over the Fisher Fwy was a missed opportunity for an aesthetic gateway into the CBD/Midtown, especially for the residents living "at" the freeway. It's little things like that that really have long-term impacts on not only image, but quality of life for the people who live there.

I wonder how MDOT planned for vandalism of the artwork?

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not generally a fan of building for the car, but since we are slaves to the things here, I'm glad they didn't tear the bridge down. As someone who lives blocks away from it, it's nice not to have to stop at what would be a horrendous traffic light -- especially during rush hour, when I-75 is brutal.

What would have been so special about that intersection if they had torn it down? It would've become home to gas stations, party stores, strip clubs and everything else you find along 8 Mile, plus a long red light.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would the light be particularly horrendous? Make the left turns Michigan lefts and you only need two phases. It would be just like 8 Mile and Mound.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 802
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to agree with Treelock. Nothing would have went there except a couple of gas stations if they tore the bridge down.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were building a mall-type thing on that corner. Seems like it'd get quite a bit more traffic if people couldn't just blow by it on the bridge/underpass. I drove through that intersection for YEARS before I even knew Woodstock St. existed, and I can't for the life of me think what was on the SE corner before it was all torn down and fenced off.

(Message edited by BearInABox on August 06, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.