Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Groups of white kids praying on woodward fridaynight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 494
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone else see this Friday night ?? I drove from ferndale to downtown down woodward about 11:00 o'clock Friday night and saw 5 or 6 groups of what looked like teenage white kids in circles praying from 7 mile to just about the new center area . I drive this all the time and this kids were definitely not from these areas I figure they were praying to help the hookers and stuff like that

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like what was needed.

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 35
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen them in Hart Plaza before...

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone have a link to their program?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9817
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

curious.

cool.

I'm usually in some prayer state when I'm considering the sculptures and statues and memorials at Hart Plaza and in front of the CAY building.

I wonder how their notes on the Hart Plaza compare to mine. I see nothing but hope...always struggle, but it works out our way. Freedom.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people start praying when they cross Eight Mile.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...perhaps, but they don't get out of their cars to stop and do it.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6322
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a great ideal for those white kids Christians. Going out to the ghettohoods of Detroit in the middle of the night and pray for the DEAD (C)KRAK HEADS, pimps, prostitutes, po'folks, schizoblacks and mutants.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dead need our prayers just as much as the living. I think it's a wonderful thing - I wonder what their motivation was. Could they possibly been praying in front of abortion clinics??

~Liza

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 344
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never seen them. Why do they exclude people of color in their prayer groups?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why do they exclude people of color in their prayer groups?"

Jumping to conclusions are we? We don't know who they are yet or what theyre doing, so we can't assume theyre excluding anyone. Maybe no one of color volunteered.
I've seen MANY church/religious group/event gathering that contained ZERO white people so i don't see where the relevance of this question even is. Even so, Im going to be labeled a racist just for counterbalancing this inquiry.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

call the ACLU stat!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why do they exclude people of color in their prayer groups?"

Who knows. Could just be that people of color tend not to live in the suburbs.

While we're on the subject, why do you Detroiters exclude white people from your city council? Are you racist? Do you just not value diversity that much?

(Message edited by thejesus on August 05, 2007)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 836
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pleaseeeeeeeeeee.... who knows why they were there; but my bet is that the prayers that were color blind....

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boy oh boy, asshole racists all over this forum.

Get over white people already, the only ones excluding "people of color" are people of color

No wonder Detroit has gone to shit.

the good rev

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 742
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 840
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for peace and cooperation on a Sunday night...

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief, am I the only one who detected Rockets sarcasm.

That was good for a laugh.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 901
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket_city, maybe for the same reason groups of black youths committing crimes on Woodward exclude white kids from their groups .

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're on the subject, why do you Detroiters exclude white people from your city council? Are you racist? Do you just not value diversity that much?

Okay, so I'm gonna point out the white person on Detroit's city council, then I want you to go point out the black person on Livonia's.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila Cockrel:

Sheila Cockrel

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EXACTLY!!

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the love of Christ, why was race even brought up? (rhetorical question btw, please DO NOT answer this or I'll puke)

Nobody so far has commented on who these people were or how the event came about, just a lot of the usual ASSumptions.

I'm way more interested in the fact that they were young people.

Does anyone have any information on the organizers of the prayer group being discussed?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Okay, so I'm gonna point out the white person on Detroit's city council, then I want you to go point out the black person on Livonia's.

Apples and oranges, Livonia is less than 1% black whereas Detroit is 12.26% white. When Livonia is 12% black and doesn't have a black councilmember, then you might have a point. How many Native Americans are serving on Detroit's City Council? Why, Detroit must be racist against Native Americans! Or maybe it could be that there simply aren't many Native Americans living in Detroit and that's why there aren't any on the City Council.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When Livonia is 12% black and doesn't have a black councilmember, then you might have a point."

Which begs the bigger question... Why is Livonia so damn white to begin with?

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compared to...

Livonia's City Council

Birmingham's City Council

Roseville City Council

Troy City Council

Sterling Heights City Council

Ferndale's City Council

Royal Oak's City Council

If the racial make up of a city's City Council is any indication of how much they value diversity, then Detroit value's diversity just as much as Ann Arbor...

Ann Arbor's City Council

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9714
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"When Livonia is 12% black and doesn't have a black councilmember, then you might have a point."

Which begs the bigger question... Why is Livonia so damn white to begin with?

Because a large population in Livonia like it that way

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 905
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does any one know who the kids were? Who cares about the damn city council!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9718
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. No idea.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon prays at the memorial in Hart Plaza? Me too. But I've never seen anyone else around the Organized Labor monument except for bums copping a sit and skateboarders abusing the marble.

Let those kids pray.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9820
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Craig,

Read those flagstones on the Labor monument backwards from the inside of the spiral...you can see how the progress forged by unions in the last hundred years is quickly being UNdone by the current establishment these past ten.

It is pretty telling, think I'm going to do a documentary on it.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They may have come from that huge church in Highland park. They are clearly wasting their time.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids playing (and not fighting) on woodward at 11 at night is a good sign in my book, no matter what their race!

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, sorry to have sparked a storm.

I asked not because I "jumped" to conclusion, rather because the original poster identified it as such.

No wonder you always hear people in Greater Detroit saying, "we need to talk about race more". They probably say this because, when race is discussed in an open and honest manner, people pout and get defensive, and blow what could be a productive and effective discussion way out of proportion.

Sorry, I'll leave it alone.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 437
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people start praying when they cross Eight Mile.

LOL

<313>

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should crowd into a peep show booth in Highland park. It is much more exciting than praying. How can white kids praying affect the crushing poverty-ignorance-immaturity-l ack of fair and reasonable employment opportunities?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe while praying a revelation will come to them and they will realize that Detroit isn't that bad after all and spend more of their time in the CoD.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 387
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen a lot of white people coming and going from that church in Highland Park that used to be an X-rated movie theater. But I've also seen black people there too, so if the people on Woodward were all white it was probably a suburban prayer group.

As far as the race issue goes, I've read that America's churches are more segregated than anything else in this country. I don't see this as an indication of overt racism on the part of most churches. I think it's just that black folks and white folks generally prefer different styles of worship.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2575
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could be green and purple for all I care. They're more likely to do good than damage. If just the extra presence on the streets prevents something bad it's worthwhile. Heck, next time you might even see an elderly person get helped across the street.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i guess its better than breaking windows

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.