Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit's revival rests on new uses for old buildings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007707280306

"Preservation of older buildings accounts for almost all of the revival in Detroit's Midtown and a good deal of the downtown revival."

Comments? Discussions? (Someone might have put this Topic up)

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always said that once you step into one of these preserved buildings, you will always have a better understanding of why it is better to preserve them. I actually had the pleasure to attend prom in the Book Caddy in 1982. I am looking forward to booking a night there for the first night it is opened just to compare the old with the new.

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One needs only explore any major city in the country to get an understanding. The only popular places for bars, restraunts, and residences are the old sections. the newer areas are devoid of any kind of life and character. They have no intimate street scape or closness, they hold no interest to anyone. Can you imagine how different today's Detroit would have been if the "forward thinkers" in the 1950's did not feel destroying everything between the river and Jefferson and putting up ugly buildings on the water fornt that have no view of the river was the way to go?? Can you just picture how popular those pre-civil war buildings, the Vernor's plant and so on would be today??? By the way the deadest downtown I have ever visited was Houston. Why you ask. Because it is a very large downtown but other than one block on the east side everything pre-1970's has been pulvarized leaving nothing of character, nothing worth photographing, nothing to even go there for. I was there about 4 hours and had had enough, nothing interesting at all. Boring, boring, boring . How ever it did offer up one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen (The opera house) and is now a primo addition to my ugly buildings of America photograph collection so my visit was not a complete loss.

Richie
Username: Richie

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One needs only explore any major city in the country to get an understanding. The only popular places for bars, restraunts, and residences are the old sections. the newer areas are devoid of any kind of life and character. They have no intimate streetscape or closeness, they hold no interest to anyone. Can you imagine how different today's Detroit would have been if the "forward thinkers" in the 1950's did not feel destroying everything between the river and Jefferson and putting up ugly buildings on the water front that have no view of the river was the way to go?? Can you just picture how popular those pre-civil war buildings, the Vernor's plant and so on would be today??? By the way the deadest downtown I have ever visited was Houston. Why you ask. Because it is a very large downtown but other than one block on the east side everything pre-1970's has been pulverized leaving nothing of character, nothing worth photographing, nothing to even go there for. I was there about 4 hours and had had enough, nothing interesting at all. Boring, boring, boring . How ever it did offer up one of the ugliest buildings I have ever seen (The opera house) and is now a primo addition to my ugly buildings of America photograph collection so my visit was not a complete loss.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Richie do you have your ugly buildings photographs uploaded online? I would like to see them.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.