Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bridge Disaster On Belle Isle Imminent « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Metaldoctor
Username: Metaldoctor

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The green railing has virtually been destroyed by prior restoration. Go are the original fastening methods , like hot forged rivets and hand tap screw connection witch gave this rot iron work its own flare of design. This was replaced by crud grinded welds leaving the appearance of modern fast track fabrication.

The rusted portion was untouched. Some pieces have been broken off and a great deal of corrosion is visible underneath the original lead paint and rust. What you see is the ornamental part of the bridge ,what if the hidden structural metal is in the same condition then the bridge is in danger of collapsing. This can be rectified. We are able to help, as demonstrated with some of this work on the Hulbert gate which was fabricated originally at the same time as the Central Avenue bridge.

http://www.canarthandworks.com/index_files/The_Chauncey_Hurlbut_Memorial_Gate.htm

http://www.canarthandworks.com/index_files/The_Chauncey_Hurlbut_Memorial_Gate_2.htm

This ornate bridge is on one of the main roads on Belle Isle. It was built in 1893 by the King Bridge Company, and as such is an extremely old beam bridge, built by an important bridge company. The decorative arch is for decoration only, the structure is actually a beam bridge.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9620_11154_11188-28700--,00.html

the Central Avenue bridge is one of two remaining examples of forged rot iron work prior welding technology and considered national treasures. Could anybody give me some advice on who to contact to offer my services in stabilizing and restoring this priceless relic? I am aware of the financial situation the city is under but We can do it if we pull together.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you talking about "wrought" (vs. "rot") iron doc?

look up the belle isle conservancy. they'd be able to point you in the right direction or start up your own program.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the MacArthur Bridge.

Old bridges don't die; they only fade away.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's not the macarthur detroitnerd, and i'd doubt failure of the central ave bridge would constitute a "disaster"

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gravity. I thought the Mac was less ornate.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5030
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, now let me ask the question... is all that metalwork merely ornamental, or is it structural?

That makes a big difference as far as the bridge being in danger of falling down. If it's ornamental, the worst than could happen is that the ornament falls off, which although sad, it would not be detrimental to the safety of the folks driving or walking on it.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the link provided above

quote:

About this Bridge:
The steel-stringer structure of the Central Avenue Bridge is disguised by an ornate metal grill, which makes the bridge appear to be a metal arch. Coursed ashlar forms the wing walls. Octagonal stone posts, trimmed with acanthus leaf and other designs, and decorated metal posts hold the ornate metal railing panels. The following is inscribed in the northwest and southeast end posts: “When the bridge was rebuilt in 1946, city engineers were careful to retain the arched metal fascia and the original railings and posts.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2951
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVERYBODY START PANICKING!!!

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 590
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No shit. Way to play off of the disaster in Minnesota with a sensationalized headline. If it's not important enough for people to read without being tricked, then it's probably not that important. How about just making the thread title clear and let people read what interests them instead of these Weekly World News headlines for a thread title.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 206
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite: "EVERYBODY START PANICKING!!!"

Seriously, It was rebuilt in 1946 and is probably one of the best bridges around. This Minneapolis bridge collapse has got everyone out poking on the rust and firing up the flashlights.

The media in grand fashion as always hyped that for all it was worth. With their repeated drone of "50 cars in the water". A person would have to be plain dumb to not realize the water around that bridge was about 3 feet deep and there is no way 50 cars could've been submerged in it. Hell the divers were walking around in less than waist deep water.

The Minneapolis bridge collapse is a direct result of a government that is neglecting the country's infrastructure. The bridge was inspected and determined to have no structural redundancy, it should've been replaced.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9182
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No reason to panic. Smart Detroiters will simply pick up the phone and dial:

TYler-87100

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We Do Good Work!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Look at it, love it and take your time paying for it"

"Take your time"? :-) I guess that meant as long as your "time" fell on or around the first of every month.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the "disaster" Metaldoctor is referring to is the disaster of allowing such beautiful metalwork to deteriorate and be incorrectly restored in a damaging manner. Anyone who's read Metaldoctor's posts in the past knows how important to him the historic metalwork in Detroit is. I believe he was probably using the recent events in Minnessota to attract a little attention to an issue important to him, not threatening that the bridge is in any danger of collapsing.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I doubt the collapse of this bridge would be disastrous in terms of loss of life, but it would be bad.

I hope something is done to save it

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The river depth in Minneapolis was seven feet--not three. Had it been three feet, it would be easily to locate cars without sonar or divers. And vehicles tend to sink into muddy bottoms.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 209
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "The river depth in Minneapolis was seven feet--not three."

I'm just going by watching a diver walk all over around the area and never being deeper than the waist. And I've been around water enough to know that the color of the water said it was very shallow. The bottom reflecting back through it.

I just googled it and some say at least 9 feet and some say 4-14 feet. Looked like 3 feet to me or that "diver" had really long legs.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metaldoctor is sensationalizing this story because of his personal financial agenda.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

\\sitmf682.servers.chrysler.com\t3615jl$\data\my documents\My Pictures\Buddy Lazell.jpg

Mr. Belvedere

The Brian Elias of the 60s,70s and 80s

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1197
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH NO! let's hope it doesn't happen on a Saturday. That would mean 50 to 60 Monte Carlos in the drink!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5037
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear it now.... "Swan boat causes catastrophic failure when it hits bridge embankment!" :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.