Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Lodge Rises [Pics] « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4049
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But not for a while - it has a way to go.

Looking toward the famous Wyoming Curve.
Lodge Expressway Construction 2007

Has it affected attendance at JAWS for Jesus?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3484
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what are they doing to the Lodge?

Honest ignorance from an east sider...

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUMP!!!

<313>

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just hurry up and give me my I-75 back!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mack, they pretty much tore the entire road up and rebuilt it. Sections of it are just recently reopening. I actually think the work has been progressing fairly quickly.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3486
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, probably some new bridges and stuff, too? But no widening?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just hurry up and give me my I-75 back!

I thought the Lodge Fwy designation was M-10?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9818
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once M-10 is open, Yvette won't have to share her freeway with errant Lodgers.

DEtoured, you might say.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Yvette...talking about selfish..."my" I-75. Why don't you just use Oakland, John R and Brush. Since everyone is using "your" interstate...the surface streets should be clear.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 270
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw,

That is correct. No widening. Too cost prohibitive.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 740
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bleh! All that cement is just depressing!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what I'd like to know...just WHAT are they doing?

They repaved the f'er not too long ago...like maybe 10 years ago. And with concrete...not asphalt. I remember because not a year afterwards, they came through and cut those wierd notches in it, closing lanes for months. It was irritating (I drove that freeway daily for work then).

What the hell are they doing now anyway? Nothing looks different in these pictures.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 272
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they last time they did major work was 10 years ago, then they probably did some concrete pavement restoration rather than a full on reconstruction. Those typically have a fix life of about 10 years or so.

This time they are doing a full reconstruction.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how much all of that cost the good taxpaying citizens of Michigan?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mack, they pretty much tore the entire road up and rebuilt it. Sections of it are just recently reopening. I actually think the work has been progressing fairly quickly.

There is no more appropriate DYer to answer questions about the John C. Lodge Freeway than Johnlodge.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Road construction is very expensive. That is no doubt. However, the project they did 10 years ago was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than a full reconstruction. Typically DOTs will do those more minor fixes in order to buy some time for them to save the money required to do such a major reconstruction. It's all part of pavement management.

Quozl

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Supposedly $140 million.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-9620-171901--,00.h tml

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parts of the work are only repairs to the road rather than a full replacement. The section that is now open from I-94 to Davison was not fully replaced, rather they just replaced sections that needed it. The further north section of the freeway is the area that is being fully redone. There has also been lots of bridge work going on the entire length of the work area.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like they're moving ahead of schedule. Where I work at, that was my main route. It'll be good to once again cruise on the Lodge again. That first pic reminded me of the link to the old WSU archives that showed the Lodge @ Wyoming where it became James Couzens (when it was a parkway).

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I thought I remembered "dodge the Lodge" no more than 10 years ago too, Quinn. Strange that they should have to shut down the whole thing to repair parts of it.

Anyway, I like the Lodge, all of our freeways should have been built that way. It is fairly minimum impact because it is like a narrow canal, not a wide trench. The Ford freeway is the next best freeway...and they better not widen that. I-75 was a bit too high impact, plus it took out Hastings St., and even if it does carry tons of north-south traffic from multiple states, it is a bit too wide. I-96...what a clusterfuck, and waaaay too wide. That's the one that scarred the city.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3634
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had some work over the weekends for a couple summers moving barricades for MDOT and the construction crews for the I-94 and Lodge construction around 2001. Easy work (about 20/30 hours from Friday night to early Sunday), but there's always idiots who hit them at high speed.

And there's that one moronic Detroit (or county--I forgot) motorcycle cop who bitched to me that no barricade was going to stop him--as if we cared... He complained that nobody told HIM about the Lodge being closed for the weekend! Duh! We closed it for most of the summer and it was about the middle of the construction season. What a dummy!

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 843
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they constructed them properly in the first place instead of using corn meal mush and Crazy Glue, we wouldn't have to go through this so often.

Mi's road building lobby could teach the NRA a thing or two.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In some areas they're rebuilding the original 1960's pavement. I know that's the case with that formerly nasty stretch in Southfield. How old is the pavement from 8 to the Davison?

(Message edited by eric on August 06, 2007)

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I remember hearing that it was from the 80's, maybe '87... I don't really remember. That's still about 20 years and they're just doing some patching, it's really held up quite well.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tear that schitt down!

Quozl

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do that DaninDC? How are you going to replace it? Where will you get the funds? Where is your scope of work? What evidence do you have to back up your assertion? DaninDC? Hello DaninDC?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did north of Eight Mile less than two years ago. That might be what is ringing bells in your heads...

(Message edited by charlottepaul on August 06, 2007)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 507
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been over 20 years since I've traveled on the M-10 in Detroit. I distinctly remember the sharp veer to the left when traveling southbound near Wyoming Street. The exit there at Wyoming street was dangerous. There was a creepy but convenient McDonald's at that exit in the late 70's and early 80's. The parking lot was really weird to manuever. Anyone else share any memories of that particular area?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like those service drives need some attention as well.

Philm
Username: Philm

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow..those pictures bring back memories. That's my old neighborhood...Puritan and Wyoming. As a kid I remember watching them build the Lodge extension from Wyoming out, from the day they broke ground.
Moved out in 1963.

Phil

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.