Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Collins (of YOUR City Council) holds off progress... yet again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070806/M ETRO/708060374

DETROIT -- Plans to build a state-of-the-art dog pound have hit a snag after Councilwoman Barbara-Rose Collins said she doesn't want the facility in her neighborhood.

"This is just taking advantage of poor people," said Collins, who lives in the 2200 block of Leland, less than a half-mile from where the city Health and Wellness Promotion Department wants the pound built.

Too often, city leaders advocate putting projects in parts of the city where they think no one will complain, Collins said, but a facility for stray dogs, cats and other animals could bring problems with odors and noise.

"I want the mayor's office to find another place," she said.

Before the City Council went on its summer recess Friday, members were expected to sign off on a plan that would build a $3.6 million animal control facility near Mack and Dequindre to replace the aging, beleaguered complex in southwest Detroit near the Ambassador Bridge.

However, a single City Council member can delay a vote, as Collins did. By tradition, the council allows individual members to question city officials on issues before forcing a vote.

Animal rights activists say a new facility is long overdue.

"Everyone will tell you those animals need a better place," said Carol Rouzer, who adopted a puppy, Rascal, from Detroit Animal Control in May. "There is no reason not to build if they already have the money. Keep politics out of animal welfare."

Members of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's staff said they expect to reach a compromise after the council returns from its recess.

The delay upsets Marvin Cotton, 79, who lives on St. Aubin, close to the proposed pound.

"Right now, all we have is vacant land, and I know the city has a problem with dogs," said Cotton, a retired U.S. Postal Service employee. "I'd rather have a new city building than more vacant land that people use as a dumping ground."

But Ebony Peoples, 23, who lives with her mother and two children on Chene, also nearby, sides with Collins.

A dog pound would bring increased traffic and the possibility of other dangers, she said.

"This may not be the richest neighborhood but at least there isn't much traffic. My children can play outside," said Peoples, who is studying to be a medical records clerk. "What would happen if one of those dogs got loose? Who would protect my babies?"

In 2002, voters approved a bond issue for a new animal control facility, and earlier this year the Detroit Building Authority, which would build the pound, approved the project and hired an architect.

Meanwhile, Bruce King, the health department assistant director in charge of the project, said the proposed site, which would occupy land the city owns, is ideal because it is easily accessible from Interstate 75 and is centrally located.

The current animal control facility is in an inaccessible location in an industrial strip of land. The location is one reason city officials believe few animals are adopted: People have a hard time getting there.

In November, a Detroit News review of state and court records found a number of problems at the animal control facility, including piles of dead dogs in the building, animals that were underfed and lack of medical care.

In addition, two years ago a city worker was fired after she fed live shelter puppies to a python, but she was later rehired under civil service rules.

City officials say many of those problems could be eliminated with a new facility.

"We're going to continue on with the process," said Matt Allen, a spokesman for Kilpatrick.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's THEIR city council, then why are YOU so worried about it? Fix your own d@mn problems. Lord knows YOU have plenty of them.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you yvette; i'm getting really sick and tired by people telling YOU PEOPLE (detroiters) about THEIR problems.

and this isn't development; this is destroying a neighborhood and detrimental to a positive, burgeoning district. eastern market doesn't want this located there, current residents don't want it there, and developers working to put new development in that area don't want it there.

take a minute to think about it: would YOU want acres and acres of open pens housing stray animals in YOUR backyard? or next to YOUR business? seems to me that the city council is actually sticking up for it's citizens. i thought that's what they're elected to do? and it's funny to me that a woman who lives in the area where this is going to go, who doesn't want it put there, is "standing in the way of development."

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you all propose they should put the new Dog Pound then?

I would like for it to be centrally located as well, not somewhere under a rotting bridge in Delray.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a feeling that if it was moved to your district, "The Rose" would be fine with it.
By the way dont do what I just did. On the article there is a pic of her. Under the pic is a button thats says, "see full image". Yikes, dont do it.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9708
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Collins (of YOUR City Council) holds off progress... yet

Fuck off.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to her chin(s), is she growing whiskers or is that gerb? Heck, them there dawgs are better lookin' then her.

WOOF WOOF

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2137
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel sorry for her husband IF she's married (more than likely not).

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5028
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx you could have been more tactful in your thread title... after all you've been here long enough. The response you got is not surprising.

When the messenger is asking for it... he/she gets shot! Especially when you're
"preaching to the choir" in a condescending tone!

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In addition, two years ago a city worker was fired after she fed live shelter puppies to a python, but she was later rehired under civil service rules."

WTF?!?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 557
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Often times, on DetroitYES the topic of the value of electing our City Council by wards comes up. One of the oft-cited reasons is that , if we did so, there would be one specific person who could be responsible for the conditions in every neighborhood, from every area of the city.

It seems to me that in this instance, that is exactly what Barbara Rose Collins is doing. She lives in that neighborhood (which she calls, somewhat jokingly, "Leland Estates.") I'm guessing, also, that she, with her assorted pensions and salary could afford to live anywhere in the city she chose to live; but she chooses to stay in her old family neighborhood. Good for her.

Perhaps this location is the best spot for the new dog pound. I don't know. But I do think that Barbara Rose Collins is about the only public official who ever speaks up for that neighborhood.

There are many valid reasons to criticize BRC's stand on this issue and many of the other matters that come before the Council; but to link those criticisms to her physical appearance, to me, seems much less than fair. She has the features of a 68 year old woman which is exactly what she is. And, finally, I think she took a good photo.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What would happen if one of those dogs got loose? Who would protect my babies?"

Yeah, there are NEVER any stray dogs hanging around vacant lots in the city.

Nice to see Barbara Rose didn't offer up any better ideas/locations. What a joke. I can't believe she keeps getting re-elected.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 668
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with one point Neilr, with her council salary she could live anywhere in the city.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE:
and this isn't development; this is destroying a neighborhood and detrimental to a positive, burgeoning district. eastern market doesn't want this located there, current residents don't want it there, and developers working to put new development in that area don't want it there.

take a minute to think about it: would YOU want acres and acres of open pens housing stray animals in YOUR backyard? or next to YOUR business? seems to me that the city council is actually sticking up for it's citizens.

I am unclear why this building poses a problem? Isn't it a good thing for the animals and their rights? Won't it actually bring new people to an area daily? Are you worried it is going to stink? Are you worried stray animals are going to bite you and your kids?

That is the argument I draw from the opposers of this development. Destroying a neighborhood??!! Are you serious? The hundreds of stray animals running the streets every day are ruining the neighborhood. Not the proposed state of the art animal facility that maintains Detroit's animal population. People can be so backwards and obtuse it's silly. I would welcome the addition of a pound in my neighborhood if it ever came. It is supposed to be a fun place for youths and families, instead the opposers of this thread view it as a liability. Furthermore, I would <assume> the development would bring jobs to the area along with a new or updated shiny building, which is not a bad thing, is it?

It would be nice if Detroit could decide upon a feasible location instead of letting the animals rot in cages (among other things) waiting for their deaths.

Rsa

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

think and read harder shreve. this isn't going to be a nice, happy, cuddly little pound. this is going to be thousands of animals on acres of space in open air cages and pens. they will be, for the most part, "left out to rot" here as much as they are downriver. think noise, smells, and increased traffic directly next to eastern market, light industrial, and where people live. nevermind the fact that they're going to put this on forest park, across from a church.

the question isn't whether a new facility is needed; it obviously is. this is just not the right location to put it.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2952
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

this isn't going to be a nice, happy, cuddly little pound. this is going to be thousands of animals on acres of space in open air cages and pens. they will be, for the most part, "left out to rot" here as much as they are downriver.

And you know this how? Every animal shelter I've seen has been an indoor facility, and quite clean at that.

Rsa

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen the proposal. and have talked to people involved with the eastern market merchants association about it. and various memebers of the community surrounding it who have been told about it.

(Message edited by rsa on August 06, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the people who live around the Humane Society(HS) have to say about what goes on there. I've been there many times and I can't recall hearing loud barking or smelling any odors outside of the building upon getting out of my car. I've never worried about dogs getting out either.

It would interesting if the reporter could have talked to some of the residents around the HS. It amazes me how reporters can always quote some of the most ignorant comments of people. Oh well, I'll say no more.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For 3.9 million bucks they can buy the old GM Truck & Bus factory over on 601 Piquette and convert it to a dog pound. 454,200 sq. ft. should be more than enough room. Heck it even has 3,500 sq. ft. of Medical space, a 10,500 sq. ft. Cafeteria, 19,300 sq. ft. Locker Rooms and 40,150 sq. ft. of Office space that can be converted into little doggie lofts.

Plenty of parking, central location, close to I-75 and I-94, no neighbors to bitch either, except the ghosts than inhabit Fisher 21 across the street and they do not count.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE:

no neighbors to bitch either, except the ghosts than inhabit Fisher 21 across the street and they do not count.

I heard that they plan on feeding them to a Python anyway.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is a dog pound really that much of a problem? Do they need like barded wire fences and guard towers all around it? If they make the place look nice they could actually create some (much needed) jobs.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you, Tkshreve... I'd much rather have a dog pound in the neighborhood than stray dogs roaming the streets. Call me crazy.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 388
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What surprises me in all this is that Barbara Rose Collins lives in that part of town. I always assumed the City Council members all lived in Palmer Woods and Sherwood Forest.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, I am will to bet next week pay that she only claims to be living there.

She just had a friend who lived there and called her on the phone and told her to block the development.

Anybody want to do some spying for a grand???

<313>

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl....dont disrespect BRC like that. You may not agree with her politics but that in no way gives you the right to disrespect her. She looks damn good given her age and doesnt deserve such asinine remarks. Let's see a photo of your momma in her 60's.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd bet that Barbara Rose has other things in mind, no doubt. Politicians in this city NEVER do anything for the public good, especially the likes of her.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 498
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe i'm being stupid, but what if they made this part of a creative re-use of part of the packard plant...??? that's city owned, right? much of the structure is still salvagable... plus, what kind of an idiot would break into a building to steal copper with 1000 dogs inside?

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, the residents will definately take notice of the pound relocating next to the eastern market. Though I've never noticed any smell outside the current facility, this one may be worse. And if it is it will destroy the magnificent aroma that radiates whenever the pig truck shows up! Do people EVER stop complaining?

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've worked at the animal control building numerous times and it didn't seem all that run down to me. I also didn't see it as a building that would bring down a area. I could hear no dogs from outside or smell any bad odors.

Rsa

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is wrong with people still propagating this? the people that live and/or work in this area don't want it there. a council person is backing them because she does (in fact, i can verify) live in the same area. plain and simple.

it's not like it's this location or no pound at all. they just have to pick another location. i mean really, is that so much to ask? people should stop trying to convince residents and businesses that they're wrong and spend a little time looking at the bigger picture.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please do spend a little time looking at the bigger picture!!! Let me get this straight... the so called 'neighborhood' has one building every ten lots and you want to stop construction of building that provides jobs. Maybe we should put a ban on any building there and just continue the past 25 years of demolition. No, don't let any Eastern Market company expand, hell, get rid of the Pepsi distribution center, too much traffic you know. I live in the area too, and this discussion should have never been raised. The stupid thing is that this will get passed anyway, BRC is just contributing to the ineffecient local government and waisting our tax dollars by prolonging the discussion. Please don't vote for her in the future.

Rsa

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not sure i understand what you're trying to argue lo.

what's the number of people in a neighborhood that's acceptable to make a difference? just because there are fewer people around, do they not get to have a say?

just to reiterate a few points: this is not the only location where it can go, the keeping of this facility is not dependant on this site, it is not creating new jobs (other than construction), and it is not being put on vacant land-it is being put on a city owned park.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason why we need to have wards.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wards, JC Penny, Sears, any of these in Detroit even if it shared land with the new Dog Pound would be great.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.