Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » City Council elected from wards? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a Free Press story stating that maybe council members should be elected from wards instead of at-large. That way maybe they'd be more attention to the neighborhoods if they had to actually live in them. I believe that right now the council lives in places like luxury apts. on the river.
There are pros and cons, but I favor the ward system for more responsiveness to the neighborhoods.

Briankm
Username: Briankm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is one of the only major cities in the US to have a city council at large. Make them rep a given area and they will have to "give and take" and maybe get a little more done. Maybe all would show for mettings once in a while. Unfortunately, unless someone gets it on a ballot, it will never happen. Too bad.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 74
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I believe that right now the council lives in places like luxury apts. on the river."

Want to prove this?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if the city council can prove they are helping the citizens of detroit.

they live in a lala dream land.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 442
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would vote for At-large bids.

I think the city council is sub-par.

<313>

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1595
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Council salary is approx. $82,000/yr.

You all act like they're making six figures.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The council members are actually pretty well scattered across the city.

Still, I would be very strongly in favor of a city council elected from wards (preferably with one or two at-large seats as a sort of back up). It's not a panacea but it really would help with accountability and attention for the various districts/neighborhoods.

quote:

Unfortunately, unless someone gets it on a ballot, it will never happen.

Someone just needs to get off their ass, organize some signature gatherers, and make it happen. I do believe that if a good council-by-district proposal made it on the ballot, it would pass.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9669
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wards are much better as I have pointed out numerous times but if you have a dead-beat councillor it doesn't matter whichsystem you have you are still going to get screwed.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like Wards. I once bught a shirt from the Ward's on Grand River at Greenfield and it fell apart in weeks! I can't imagine why a store would sell people. I have seen stores like Woolworths that sell birds, are you suggesting that we get rid of council and replace them with birds?

Dougw

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's what happend with the previous 2005 effort to put a Council By Districts measure on the ballot (from
this article) --
quote:

This summer, the group Detroiters for Reform tried to put the question of how councilmembers are elected on the November ballot. To accomplish that, they needed to collect signatures from 5 percent of the city’s registered voters, but fell a few thousand names short of the 32,000 needed.

Apparently, they got started late and then ran out of time before the November ballot.

Here's the original Detroiters for Reform webpage from 2005, courtesy of the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/200 51225201407/http://www.reformd etroit.org/

Also, this Detroit Regional Chamber article goes a bit into examining a ward vs. at-large structure for the council: http://www.detroitchamber.com/ public_affairs/index.asp?cid=4 &rcid=1184

English
Username: English

Post Number: 554
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I signed that petition. Sometime before that, it was actually put on a ballot, but got voted down.

If at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again. Metro Detroiters get discouraged far too easily.

Dougw

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the last time it actually made it to the ballot (and was voted down) was back in the 70's? Can someone verify?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Council salary is approx. $82,000/yr. "

Yeah, but they have a $million dollar expense account for staff!

<313>

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have a council of 9 that at one time served 2million. but our city is less than 900k maybe we could do well with 7 or 5? wards create mini empires the at least the empires would compete against each other which in the end would mean faster action on issues like crime, litter, codes so let the empire begin!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.