Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Tigers Dollar Game « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buckster1986
Username: Buckster1986

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how to play the Dollar game while at a Detroit Tigers game? I have watched it being played a few times around me but don't know the rules.

Buckster1986

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has to do with the order of the batter and what they do when they get up to bat.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very simple... only played while the Tigers are at bat. Start with an empty cup and give it to the first person in your group. They get the first batter, if the batter does ANYTHING but hit a homerun, then the person puts in $1 and passes the cup to the next person who gets the next batter... and then to the next person, etc. If a Tiger hits a homerun, the person holding the cup gets all the money and you start over. Some people like to ruin the game by adding pay twice for strike out and not paying on a base hit, but to me it just complicates it specially if your drinking. Hope this helps.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 248
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My version is that whenever Jim Price butchers someone's name on the radio, he owes me a dollar.

At this rate, I'm almost ready to retire.

Thanks, Jim!
You're the best.

Buckster1986

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help Lo_to_d....much appreciated!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny Harpernottingham.
Remember Al Kaline in the TV booth. I can still hear him try to say Al Bumbry

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Several different games I've played. I don't think there is any right way to play, whatever seems like it works. Here's how we usually play one or the other.

1) BATTING: Everyone in your group places $1 in the cup to start the game (say you're with three other people). The cup starts at one end of your group (or flip a coin to see who starts), at which time the cup-holder places ANOTHER $1 into the cup (now contains $5).
If the batter gets a hit, the cupholder removes a dollar for each base, or gets the entire pot for a HR. i.e Base-hit=$1 out, Double=$2 out, Triple=$3 out, HR=$$$. Anything else (K, GO or PO, etc.) and the cup goes to the next guy, and he places another $1 in the kitty. You generally get some really nice payoffs this way for HR's, easily in the double digits.
Anything left after the game is social money which MUST be spent at the bar afterwards.

2) MOUND BALL: Everyone places a $1 in the cup, similar to before. The cup changes hands every half inning (top & bottom). Usually, the catcher will roll the ball to the mound at the end of each inning half; if the ball stays within the dirt circle of the mound, the holder keeps the cup contents. If it rolls out of the circle into the turf, the holder places a dollar in and passes to the next guy.

Of the two games I've played, I prefer the hitting version. Keeps you more tuned into the game, and generally will have better payouts and action during the game. Mound Ball tends to get a little hard to pay attention to. Revise as you see fit, great way to bring extra fun to enjoy the game (if only the Tigs could start winning again!)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.