Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » FROM VACANT TO VITAL: Detroit neighborhood will get 3,000 homes » Archive through August 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070805/BUS INESS04/708050505/1002/BUSINES S

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope the planners seriously consider creating at least two new east-west streets in the blocks bordered by Conner(W), Kercheval(N), Jefferson(S), and Alter(E), about half of the Fox Creek development. These blocks are entirely too long.

Further west near Van Dyke, St. Paul, Agnes, and Lafayette are streets between Kercheval and Jefferson. The distance in the area mentioned above is about the distance between Kercheval and Agnes but with no breaks. The length of these blocks makes walking them or even driving down them prohibitive, which leads to only local use(residents only).This was talked about once before on this forum as it related to Jane Jacobs and her thoughts about walkable neighborhoods.

If additional streets aren't added to break up the length of these streets, then no new development is going to help this area of the city. Those who can make the best use of this area are only those who have cars, because you'll need a car to get around. Therefore, all of the $300,000 homes will have to go in this area to make it work. People with that kind of money will have cars to make those long treks to the corner store.

BTW, the houses in Freep article look a lot like some of the Victorian mansions in Brush Park, which I like. They look like they are all brick. Therefore, I can only assume that these houses will be in the $300,000 range.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good news a much bigger deal than the possibility of a Quicken relocation downtown, this actually addresses the city's biggest issue its neighborhoods. Lets hope this is the first of many developments of its kind.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3468
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it is mostly low-income, and I know something is better than nothing here on the far east side, but please, please, let's have some good design. Simple facades, with garages in the back, and porches coming out close to the sidewalk.

Royce, I agree about adding sidestreets.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2093
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gentrification at its beginning stages.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 05, 2007)

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 384
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems good thus far...Who is going to be living in $300,000 homes? I wish i could afford one.

THe other side must be nice.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, who is going to buy all these homes?

Urbanize

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Hopefully some Suburbanites, but it's only a dream.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 667
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see that the designs aren't your average suburban cookie-cutter homes. I am a bit concerned about building so many homes when so many already on the market can't be sold. But it sounds like a great development for the city.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11653
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to see they're brick! Brick construction holds up over time, and doesn't get dated like other materials.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 969
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a rehash of a four year old story.

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One reason I would see adding adding new E/W streets would be to add loft/apartment style housing facing these streets.

I grew up on Alter/Kercheval, and walked the length of this street 3-4 times a day. It truly isnt as long as some would have you think.

Conversely, adding some E/W streets would give some interesting community/meeting/green spaces,(maybe even some small boulevards) and to add some small, community based retail for the neighborhoods elderly population.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Meaghansdad - I grew up in almost the same area save for the dividing line (Wayburn/Kercheval), and the blocks are not bad at all as far as length.

As someone who has "elderly population" (he'd kick my butt for saying that - LOL) in that area that's family, I think you're completely right and it would be useful.

I'm glad to see something that's been a rumour in that neighborhood for years look like it's actually going to happen.

The other thing to note - it said priced from 65k to 300k - 65k is extremely affordable. I'm glad to see mixed development like that.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

decent incentives?!?!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new duplexes along Alter already are a good start. If they're honest about not just "eminent domaining" current residents out to build yuppie houses, that's welcome news.
Nobody's gonna cry if a bunch of burned-out crackhouses get knocked down to build condos, as long as they respect the legit homeowners already there.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great example of mixed development. The even better thing is that here, in 2007, we finally understand slum revival. No longer will we level whatever is left and build "towers in the park" or low-quality, quirky modern buildings to "test" on the poor people...here we will build in a traditional manner, with multiple housing formats, creating normal urban density, and apparently preserving homes that are already there. This is a good plan.

Irish, this is not old news. Yes the first stories about the far east master plan were as many as 4 years ago, but now there are developers will blueprints and money in hand. Ground has been broken in some areas. Who will this all be marketed to? The aim should be the black middle/working-lower class, who have been inclined to move to inner burbs recently. This could put a stop on that, although I worry that more of Detroit's black middle/working class is concentrated on the west side and leaving in a NW direction. This side of town has just plain fewer people. These developments need to be heavily marketed across the city. Who else will move in? I would look at the demographic of renters in western GP Park...it is a diverse group of working class folk living in these rather affordable rentals. Occupancy is quite high here. The aim should be to expand that market (or tap into it), get a diverse crowd of workers to rent in Detroit, and successfully re-create the landscape that used to be in place...where lower East Detroit could hardly be differentiated from the first 5 blocks of GP Park. And who knows, maybe an immigrant community will be formed here. I think that would be great. Perhaps flyers should be handed out by the developers down at INS on Mt. Elliot.

Now if only we could go back in time and rebuild the Mack-Alter plaza so that it doesn't look like Madison Heights...

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about where the old trailer park was. we all got eviction notices 5 years ago. Nothing has been done. i heard there was going to be condos there. Some of the investors pulled out.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 952
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what was it like living in that trailer park??

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 303
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boy it'll be funny seeing all the people who buy the $300,000 homes walking to the Texas Bar at 7am to have their first bracer with the rest of the regulars.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3472
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn, you were evicted, as opposed to bought out? Were the trailers on rented space, such that if someone bought out the land owner you all had to leave?

I think that spot would be great for a high-rise luxury apartment building. ...hate to be so in your face with my talk of gentrification.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait till you see the rest of the northeast side take off. Its going to be beautiful. And if you are wondering what I'm talking about its the area near the incenerator that looks like we been at war for years. This is why Detroit will be my home and my future family home. This is what we need. Nice neighborhoods.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2101
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all Gentrification. Once that step occurs, most cities usually head in the right path because it's usually Middle-Class Families who are involved in this and occupy the neighborhoods. Look at Atlanta and San Francisco (awaits criticism).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1359
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3,000 sure is a lot of homes. Isn't that more than the number of new homes permits in Detroit in all of 2006? Seems like quite an ambitious number.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care. It will fill up all those vacant lots with Urban Style Density and homes.

Even if, if you just build them, someone will occupy the homes eventually.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only glitch I see is the areas near the Continental Plant not getting built because of how much it will cost to clean that land.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 3000 homes in the next 10 years

That's not an overly large or particularly ambitious number at all, though it is ambitious for that area. Great start though, and a good area for it.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steelworker: I had what i called my cottage there. I didnt live there all the time. It was quiet. Most of the people were on a fixed income. Older, we had a good time down there. Unless people came through, looking for trouble. Other than that, it was nice, i wish i was still down there.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize - over & over you prove to have the most ironic username.

Do you know what gentrificaiton is? Commonly, it's considered the restoration and upgrading of deteriorated urban property by middle-class or affluent people, often resulting in displacement of lower-income people.

No one is being displaced here. The plan for this area from the get go has been to work with the existing residents who have stuck it out, and build the neighborhood around them.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do love that the rendering shows a billboard in it--keepin' it urban...

Urbanize

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but that's often, not always. This case would be one of a few exceptions (at least as we know so far). The type of development of course is Middle-Class Style development in an Urban Environment.

In addition, many lower-class residents CHOOSE to leave because they can't hang. No one displaced them. They have ordinances and other ways to get around that, but it still would be considered Gentrification.

So this is Gentrification.

Many of the places are even selling for Middle-Class Wealth.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 05, 2007)