Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Should Detroit residents take the blame for some of the inner city decay » Archive through August 06, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9152
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, there must be a new definition of 'HoodRich' since the days of Barry Gordy, the Supremes, and others.

In the day, some in the 'hood made their money and moved up right in the city, staying as long as they felt safe, then fled to other nice 'hoods.

Today (according to the above) you make your money, put some into cars/rims/clothes, then climb in the toilet to live.

Nice.

Was that something ya'll learned at home, or in school?

Deteamster gets it right.

Detroitrunaway
Username: Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

termed learned in some music lyrics. Big Tymers I think:

HOODRICH

Gator Boots, with the pimped out Gucci suit
Ain't got no job, but I stay sharp
Can't pay my rent, cause all my money's spent
but thats OK, cause I'm still fly
got a quarter tank gas in my new E-class
But that's alright cause I'm gon' ride
got everything in my moma's name
but I'm hood rich da dada dada da

Yep...I believe that the lyric sheet of this song is an owner's operational manual.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5637
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee Karl,
I'm glad for your self-proclaimed status as a "MODERATE", so, can you do something about your RACISM next.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was one to say that it was all about the lack of money.
But as I think about it more. The "why bother" mentality just because you are broke is not acceptable.
"Clean up where you live" is a minimum requirement for being human.

I have often wondered about the logic behind the rims, sound system and clothes and then living in the toilet(though crude Karl)...I do see the point in your statement.

If there is money for those things then a rake and grass seed can be purchased as well.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No excuses on this...I remember the 1970's with John Q. Public on any block saying, "keep off the grass". I honestly do not remember whether "John" was black or white...I think he was both and he was definitely in the inner city.

Yep...have to agree. A rake, grass seed and some water are cheaper than rims.

If sanitation has not picked up your trash at the curb...we need to talk with local government. But it has to at least be at the curb to begin that argument.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No one cares and has pride in Detroit. No one cares about the historic icons in Detroit.

No one? Sorry this is simply untrue. I've seen many well kept homes/neighborhoods in the city.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Pam...Not NO ONE...that is untrue...but why are there the neighborhoods that appear so dirty?

I cannot say that it is because there is no money to clean them up.
I mean like I said...if there is money for rims...garden tools are definitely affordable.

Detroitrunaway
Username: Detroitrunaway

Post Number: 77
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah....I wouldn't say no one. Just too many.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many Citizens of Detroit are just careless because they think it's Detroit and they know other people don't care and the city isn't going to do anything about it.

On the other hand, a possible reason that many people in Detroit don't take care of their Neighborhood is because of the Crime and Vandalism. The people who do care aren't going to keep fixing up stuff and cleaning things up just to see it trashed up and dirtied up again. That's why the city can't get any decent gentrification going.

For example, I notice when they built the Valvoline on Linnhurst and Gratiot, before it opened, People (most likely badass kids) were throwing stuff at it shattering the Glass Windows. Same thing happened with some of the homes at the Mack and Alter road development.

(Message edited by Urbanize on August 04, 2007)

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My statement regarding "no one in Detroit cares" is a generalized one. Let's put it this way. the majority of people in Detroit don't care, including city government. Kwame is one of the worst offenders. Living real good in the mansion down on the river, servants, cooks, private schools, body guards, landscapers (at the City's expense), custom made suits. I've driven into my old neighborhood, and while there are some very well kept homes, mainly elderly, doesn't matter white or black; there are more burned out, boarded up, trash houses than ever before....AND people are living in that! Trash in the front yard, in the back yard, cars on those lawns that were once manicured neatly by people who DID care. Why is the screen door hanging on one hinge? Why are windows broken and not repaired? Why is the car on the lawn and not in the driveway? Why are the babies diapers laying on the porch, not even in a grocery bag? Those are all questions that someone needs to ask of themselves. Take responsibility for yourselves for God's sake! Have some pride.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Kwame have to do with that? Someone pretty much comes in and proves the point of this thread. Instead of sitting around waiting for Kwame to clean your front yard, go buy a fucking rake and do something.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 245
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you've just lost your job, can't find another, can't afford to move, have kids who need to be fed, bills that need to be paid, etc, etc, etc, cleaning up the backyard probably seems pretty low on the priority list. Some people deal with things like that better than others, and for many otherwise responsible homeowners, such experiences can be debilitating. I've known several people, raised far from the inner-city, who suffered emotional upheavals and just stopped taking care of their houses for years on end. Some of it is undoubtedly caused by laziness and apathy, but I don't think it's fair to leap to the conclusion that everyone with trash in the yard is simply choosing not to do anything about it, especially in a city with as much poverty and unemployment as Detroit.

Pam

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Let's put it this way. the majority of people in Detroit don't care

I don't even know if this is true. Granted I haven't been in every neighborhood in the city but there are a lot where people have pride in their homes, of course the ones like Indian Village, Boston Edison, Palmer Woods,Lafayette Park and Corktown where income is higher but also poorer areas like Southwest Detroit and Delray. I've seen more good than bad in my visits.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 892
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a rhetorical question?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As i posted in a different thread...clean/dirt/slobbery is all a state of mind. And yes people (land owners and renters) are responsible for their sections of the city. They are responsible just like the clowns/leaders of Detroit are responsible for schools, police, trash pick up etc.

Actions are a direct reflection of minds/priorities.

Rims or paint for the house? Rims will win every time. Hell, you could buy paint, caulk, brushes, rollers, and new doors all for the price of rims.

Lodge, you got me thinking...Maybe i will remortgage my house to get some new rims for my ride; some great big shinny ones that spin. With the spinning option people will be sure to notice me and my self-esteem will boost.

boom boom boom – ahh life is good!

Buyamerican

Post Number: 107
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What does Kwame have to do with that? Someone pretty much comes in and proves the point of this thread. Instead of sitting around waiting for Kwame to clean your front yard, go buy a fucking rake and do something."

Instead of being a leader for the City of Detroit; instead of being a roll model for the youth of Detroit; instead of doing what he promised the taxpayers he would do for the City, (i.e., clean it up!) he'd sitting on his throne biding his time and milking the City dry (along with all his cronies). I don't hear any Detroiters bitching about that at all and that's surprising to me because what little money the residents have, the City is milking them dry as well.
He's only a part of the big picture though. It takes responsible people to be responsible homeowners, renters, leasers, even squatters. Detroiters (some) live like pigs, just drive down any street between Vernor and Jefferson, Cadillac and St. Jean. Go down any block from 7 Mile and Hayes to 8 Mile and Kelly. I don't need to say anymore because it's obvious there's a huge problem.
Detroit was once a great place to live. Now it's only a fading memory of what it once was.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, the 7 Mile-8 Mile/Hayes/Kelly corridor is one of the nicest looking areas of the eastside (that are not historical neighborhoods), so try again.

I do agree with the Jefferson/Vernor/St. Jean/Cadillac Areas though.

I would go for 7 Mile-Houston Whittier/Hayes-Gratiot, and on the Westside, The Whole Michigan and Fort Ave. corridors excluding Mexican Village.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post defendbrooklyn.

I see the same thing on the upper west side of Manhattan where the incomes are as mixed as they could be.
You look in the pj's and you will see a few old cars with shiny paint jobs and rims. One block away...people have fixed up their brownstones (at incredible rates of money) but they have no cars or rims.
I wonder if rims would do it for me? Forget all of this "where should I buy some more property?" I should open a "rims" shop! Well no...that is thinking like a capitalist.
I should just get some rims and my self-esteem should go through the roof. I had never thought about it until now...but who are the people that "see" them that causes their self-esteem to boost?

Let me know Defendbrooklyn...maybe we can get a discount if we buy them together...you know a group rate.

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on August 05, 2007)

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 199
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have come to the point where phrases like "taking responsibility" "values" and "family" have been co-opted by the Republicans. Sure, maybe you are renters and poor, etc. but you can still pick up your trash and teach your kids not to spray paint on windows, steal copper tubing, etc. If you can't do that, then not having your property fixed up is going to be the least of your problems. And I've lived in crummy neighborhoods. But I've still picked up trash at my neighborhood schools, etc,

Buyamerican

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Urbanize, I have to disagree 100% with your assessment of the 7 Hayes/8 Mile/Kelly area. Maybe you didn't live there and didn't know what it looked like before the 90's. It doesn't even come close to resembling what it once was. I hate to see what you would consider a "depressed" area. The homes between 7 Mile and State Fair, Brock and Hayes don't look like the pristine homes that I remember. Why is that? Sorry, try again.

Whocares08
Username: Whocares08

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I read and agree with the term "renters mentality" it's not mine so "f" it...I refer to what is going on in Detroit as welfare mentality, meaning once you haven't done something for so long, you wind up having a harder time motivating yourself to move forward. The welfare mentality term can be applied anytime someone sits around doing nothing for long periods of time (like the kids during summer vacation) then when you ask them to do something, its like trying to re-direct the Mississippi.
The cold hard truth is, people can only be helped that truly want to be helped. Hand outs are not the answer, education and training are. Give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish and he will eat for life. Socioecinomical programs do not help anyone long term, they only compound the problem, holding people responsible for thier actions will make them responsible, and working for what they get will teach them how to earn a living.
I think Detroit needs help, but first it must help itself before anyone will be willing to step up to help them. Clean your own back yard before you ask the suburbs to come play.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 200
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Buyamerican on the 7 Hayes area. That is terrible. Detroit's basically a factory town, and now that the factories have closed, there is nothing to support the fabric of life. You can have everybody in their downtown lofts and condos, but what about the parks, library branches, schools? What about the quality of life?

Urbanize

Post Number: 2111
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican, what are you talking about?

NONE of the Neighborhoods in Detroit are "pristine" like they used to be. This neighborhood however doesn't suffer from too many Vacant lots, it's fairly green, and fairly quiet as well (not to mention a couple Middle Class Families Populate the Area).

So you really think that area is the worse part of the eastside? You must haven't seen the & Mile/Houston-Whittier/Gratiot/ Hayes area. Crime is a muck, there's nothing but Cornfield, it's one of the most poverish areas in the city, and the homes that are around are shitty.

Let's not forget the Van Dyke Corridor behind City Airport between 6 Mile and Harper, pretty much has the same case as the area I just described (if not worse).

The area you're trying to deem as "one of the worst" still has on e of the only Catholic Schools left in the city, A Decent Neighborhood Rec. Center, and most of all, it's one of the only areas left on the eastside (excluding the historic and named neighborhoods) that still has a Diverse population.

I don't understand how you could deem that as "One of the Worst" areas.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2112
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious to know, why do you think the area is so bad (considering ALL other areas of the eastside)

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the people are renting and have that renters mentality. But the problem is there children will be doing the same thing when they get of age. people don't take pride in hard work any more. There kids will be just as lazy if not more than the parents, and the cycle will continue for generations. It all starts with yourself no matter where you live or how much money you make. Take pride in yourself and teach your kids at an early age the same.

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so funny how you people always use Detroit as a symbol of all that is bad with a city. I find it just as puzzling that I live in a Upper-Income northern Macomb Sub. and we have rules against Boats , Trailers, Commercial Vehicles, and any other eyesores in the neighborhood. Hmmm Seems that their was a little problem with the residents and filthy properties long before I or any other Black person thought about moving there. Just a Thought!

Buyamerican

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I don't think I said the 7 Mile/8 Mile, Kelly and Hayes was "one of the worst" areas. It is probably "one of many" areas in the City of Detroit that has deteriorated terribly. I can only go by my own experiences in that neighborhood. I lived there 30 years, raised children there, watched Heilmann Field become needle infested, broken glass all over the ball diamonds, gang graffiti on garages on Brock, boarded stores, Calcaterra Funeral Home, closed up, broken into, destroyed by whomever. After driving over one afternoon to check out my old home, a gang of youths, playing basketball with a hoop in the middle of the intersection, would not allow me access to my street...that finally made me realized that the area is lost. The gangs of thugs took over and it's theirs now.
Lvnthed, who are you referring to when you say "you people"? The rules you are speaking of shows that people have always cared about the residential areas they live in. Maybe there never was a problem at all. Rules and regulations against eyesores don't necessarily mean there were problems at one time or another. I have absolutely no problem with rules being drawn and enforced for neighborhoods and I would welcome them. To know that my neighbor can't park his car on the front lawn, or to know that my neighbor is forced by rules to keep his home clean is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I could live with that any day and feel comfortable knowing that I don't have to look at that each and every day and that my property value will stay relatively stable. Condo associations usually have those types of rules.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, don't thread jack! The question is do residents deserve some of the blame for the condition of the city. The answer is a resounding YES. They deserve in fact all of it. THey are the residents of the city, so who else could you blame? The inhabitants of Micronesia? That's why I ask, is this a rhetorical question? The fact that this question is even discussed exposes why Detroit is such a mess. Too many residents won't except responsibility for their actions. Stop making excuses for the way people behave.

Urbanize

Post Number: 2135
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan:

You don't even know what you're talking about. I didn't make excuses for the sorry residents of Detroit, but I was also stating the fact that some areas and the people that live there are worse than others.

So I think you need to re-read my posts before accusing me of "thread-jacking"

Pam

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The answer is a resounding YES. They deserve in fact all of it. THey are the residents of the city, so who else could you blame?

City govt., absentee landlords. Should neighbors be responsible for tearing down a house that burns? No, the owner or the city should. I'm not excusing litterers or slobs but the average citizen is not responsible for all the blight.

(Message edited by Pam on August 06, 2007)