Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Police Search For Copper Thieves « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9731
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/13830220/detail.html

quote:

Police said they have issued 65-70 citations to tractor-trailer drivers for not having the proper licenses to haul scrap metals.

Most of the tractor-trailers ticketed were heading into a scrap yard called Sikora Metals, in the area of McNichols and Mound roads, according to police.

So why don't they check into Sikora metals practices of buying undocumented scrap?

I'm also going on a limb here but I am willing to bet the owner(s) of Sikora metals live far away from their bsuiness.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Police said they have issued 65-70 citations to tractor-trailer drivers for not having the proper licenses to haul scrap metals."

Think that the police do anything more than ticket them? As in take the copper away from them, or force them to return it, or arrest them? I mean what is a $100 ticket for hauling off $1,000 worth of copper going to do to deter?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be campaign contributors.

Hutt
Username: Hutt

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still waiting by the phone for that follow-up call when I reported some scrapping at the HUD house across the street. Was that in January or February...one of them cold gray months. Yup, they'll be calling any minute now.
I just know it.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tough call. Whom do we enforce, and what? I recently scrapped some slow selling car parts I had stuffed away in my folks basement , and at my place. No questions were asked of me, and I wouldn't have wanted there to be. Why should I have to run out and buy a license to drop off $40 worth of scrap iron and aluminum? Now if some one shows up with a load of materials that are obviously from a building I'd hope there would be lots of scrutiny.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit Police Search For Copper Thieves"

Please, give me a break.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3647
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The AT&T lineman was telling me of a recent case where some Detroit lines were downed for their copper content. He mentioned the lineman who reported the theft had a helluva time getting any response from the DPD. In any case, they have to report it.

The damage to the lines was said to be around $10,000 to repair for the relatively small amount of copper stolen.

Trying_2_stay
Username: Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same people that are doing something about the copper theft are gonna do something about illegal electric usage. And Kwame wants us to stay in Detroit and pay for city services that stink. (literally)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=41e0d0d3-4701 -4c54-9162-1af23434049c

Bastards!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm tellin ya, vigilante style war on scrappers is the only solution

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robbing the Cappuchins for their copper is such a terribly low dirty heartless thing to do, that I truly have lost a bit of faith in the people of the city by reading that.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash Man:

Those thieves that went after the Soup Kitchen are definitely among the scum of the Earth. They are right down there with that guy in NYC earlier this year who attacked a 90-some year old woman in the entrance of her building.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9753
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disgusting. I hope these worthless people get electrocuted and die the next time they try to steal copper wire.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Let he who lives by the copper, die by the copper.

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a guy electrocuted in Greenwood [a suburb of Indianapolis] about a month ago. This mensa member thought that since the building was empty the power was off. Started cutting the copper windings out of a transformer and got 660 volts of instant headstone. I poked myself in the eye and managed a tear.
We also had two jerks cut the copper tubing out of three refrigeration units of a local feed the needy Gleaner's food bank. The food bank lost $236,000 worth of donated food for the poor. Got 'em on video. Now we just need to nail them to the food bank's front door. I hate criminals.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put my old sink out for the trash on Sunday. It still had the brass faucet on it and plastic downpipe. I went inside to vacuum my floor and went back outside 5 minutes later. The brass faucet was gone (I expected that)and so was the PLASTIC downpipe (musta thought it was aluminum lol) They threw all the plastic fittings on my grass when there was a trash can sittin right there the coulda put them in...

No thieves; I just like to tell stories..haha

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I threw away my doggie damaged couch last week and it was gone that evening. I imagine some one wanted it for the metal framing.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at 4.50 a pound for scrap copper, i may just quit my desk job and go make me some money!

copper was .85 cents last year

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3930
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a nationwide problem, farmers in Cali are losing irrigation pipes constantly.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" farmers in Cali are losing irrigation pipes constantly "

I guess that means fewer avacados and more water for people. Pity.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep hearing horror stories about this - like a house in Grosse Pointe that was broken into and flooded after the thieves cut out the main water pipe, doing about $50,000 worth of damage for what amounted to about $100 worth of copper. Then there was the Cass Tech fire, the Lee Plaza roof, etc. The amount of damage done by these scum is just so appalling, I can't believe nothing's being done to stop the madness.
I heard some states are moving toward requiring a 30-day waiting period to get paid for scrap. It might not stop the thefts (as if the scrapyard would take that time to "investigate" where it came from), but it might slow down some crackheads. What do you think?
IMO, I think it's gonna take a break-in at a City Council member's house to get anyone to act. That, or insurance companies will start making some noise about how much it costs to repair the damage.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm reminded of the "Sanford and Son" episode where Fred and Lamont buy some copper off some guy hoping to sell it and turn a nice profit.
It turns out that they bought the pipes that were stolen from their own house.

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWJ718, where is copper 4.50 a pound? I know for a fact as of today it's between 1.80 and 2.20. I know someone who scraps it the legal way and he just turned some in today.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So tell me.......how do you climb on top of a 17 story build and rip off all of its copper roof without anyone seeing????

I'm referring to the Lee Plaza Hotel.

<313>

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 6:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit313

So tell me.......how do you climb on top of a 17 story build and rip off all of its copper roof without anyone seeing????

You don't, a lot of people saw it and some even took pictures. Numerous calls to the police did nothing to stop the days long event. Check the archives there were pictures posted.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1731
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/News/Detail?contentI d=4059166&version=1&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2. 1

Saw this on the morning news. Apparently the flooding could be due to scrappers stealing the plumbing. Now these people have nowhere to live.

STOP THESE BASTARDS!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does everyone need to be reminded?

Detroit Sold For Scrap

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/46937

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone give these dudes a legit CONstruction job and maybe things will change, obviously they have plenty of initiative.

barring that, time to declare all out war

Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stop them how and then put them where? We already have Granholm about to let out criminals due to overcrowding. Unfortunately it's not just here that it is a problem.
Man Killed in Ohio During Copper Theft - Local News ...
Copper theft has become a national problem amid spikes in prices partly driven by demand from China.
A botched copper theft in Washington last month knocked out cable TV service to 50,000 customers for most of the day. I could go on and on and on.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way to stop it is to make it more difficult to sell it. I know that is going to hurt scrap yards, and may be unfair to them, but the problem is too out of control. This may be a situation where a few people ruin it for everybody, and that's just how it will have to be.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, someone should come down on the scrapyards. I would feel no pity for the ones who know damn well they're buying stolen stuff. Really, is there any legitimate way a crackhead can acquire manhole covers, beer kegs or historical site plaques?
Otherwise it's gonna turn into Wild West vigilante justice around here. Thieves are going to start getting shot, and nobody will cry for them either.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Copper theft has become a national problem amid spikes in prices partly driven by demand from China..."

Interesting angle. I believe this speaks to a much larger economic issue of our "race to the bottom." Viva capitalism!

Trying_2_stay

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rjlj,
No wonder these scrap metal junkies are doing this. By that article it looks like Kwame out right gave them permission to do this. Although it was supposed to be the homeowner scrapping metals from their own homes that should be razed, not scrappers going into properties that are not falling down and marked for demolition. Good example is the apartment building that was recently occupied and vandalized for metal causing people to have to leave their homes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.