Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Anyone see the new Camaro on the streets? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw it yesterday on my way to the beach (I-696 East). All black (even with the covering on it) and looks superbad! Nice old school look to it, body flows evenly. I almost swerved looking at it. My friend thought I was crazy when I exclaimed "THERE'S THE NEW CAMARO! I WANT IT!"

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM will have it to market in about three more years, after the demand has gone soft.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, I think they'll do the opposite. They'll rush it to the market with huge flaws that kill any buzz created. Kind of like what they did with that ridiculous GTO.

Msuscorpio
Username: Msuscorpio

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I happen to own one of those rediculous GTO's. Other than having a little bland styling (which was improved with the hood scoops in 05 which is what I have) it is a VERY nice car! The interior blows any Mustang away and I push 100 more horses than the stang does!

Higgs1634

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they still making them?

Msuscorpio

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No they stopped after 06. That's ok with me though...it makes my car a little more rare. My car is one of only 71 in the whole world that rolled off the assembly line with the same options. They only made about 40,000 total in the 3 model years. By comparison, they make nearly 250,000 Mustangs each year including V6's

Higgs1634

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I appreciate why you like your GTO, I think GM would rather be selling 250k a year than 40k for the total run.

Msuscorpio

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously...I think the major issue with it was that it was made in Australia and based on GM partner Holden's Monero

I'll take my car over a stang anyday

Higgs1634

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, not making fun, but you are (obviously) in the minority by far. GM tried to rush a muscle car to market by taking a shortcut in repackaging a Monero (something designed for a completely different market and consumer taste). While it has a following, it basically bombed. You would think they would have learned from the Catera or even the Cimmeron (sp?).

I like the new direction the Camaro is going, I'm just hoping GM doesn't water it down and rush it to market as a bland ghost of its buzz generating concept.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgs - GM never planned on making 250k GTOs, it was a low-run vehicle from the start. The Camaro, on the other hand, isn't, they plan on selling at least 100k a year.

And it's planned to be released in very late 2008 as a 2009 model, if i recall correctly.

I'm actually surprised you saw one here, particularly in anything resembling final form. I know a mule was spotted in Australia, but it seems early to see one here, even camo'd, that actually has the same body and everything. You sure it wasn't the Challenger? seems more likely, since that's supposed to come out next year as an 08 model.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought those newer GTO's looked pretty cool. I really don't like the look of the new Mustangs, they look to nice and need to get meaner.

I used to see Ford edges going around town almost a year before they got onto lots. Only in the motor city...

Scottr

Post Number: 675
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kslice - i used to see the same with a saturn sky nearly every day. i've seen 2008 cts's (camo'd and not), Saturn Auras, dodge calibers, you name it. Surprisingly I haven't seen an 08 Malibu yet, probably because my travels have been limited the past 8 months. i miss those days.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the "limited run" stuff is spin. The fact that no one is buying them tends to limit a run. I'm pretty sure GM would want to sell as many as they could.

From Edmunds.com:
"The LS2 took the GTO up to a cool 400 horsepower, but between the 2+2 coupe's high price and dull styling, Pontiac simply couldn't sell enough of them. As a result, the Pontiac GTO was discontinued after the 2006 model year..."

(Message edited by higgs1634 on August 07, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope GM doesn't over produce the Camaro like Ford has done with the Mustang.

ETA: I don't think I have ever seen a GTO outside of Michigan.

(Message edited by iheartthed on August 07, 2007)

Scottr

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, kslice, it's not spin, it's reality, and now you're spinning it as a failure. Before it was released, they said they were limiting production to 18,000 a year (in 2005, admitting they overpriced and misdistributed it, they scaled it back to 12,000). They know it's a niche vehicle, and the factory that produced it can only produce so many - it was already producing numerous other vehicles (28 models in 2002). It was probably built on the same line as other vehicles on the same platform that had higher runs - like the commodore, the number one-selling vehicle in Australia, and based on the same platform as the GTO/Monaro.

and edmunds is missing half the story - there were other issues at stake here as well. the expense of recertifying the vehicle for emissions and safety standards, the Monaro (on which it was based) had already been cancelled, the new model was on a different platform than the GTO, all contributed to the decision to cancel. Given that part of the reason for the Holden Elizabeth plant's success is that all of its vehicles are on the same platform, its reasonable to assume they would try to keep it that way.

If you really think that any car manufacturer would plan on selling 250k 400hp 2-door, 4 seat muscle cars, you are absolutely clueless about the auto industry. Was the GTO everything they hoped it would be? Certainly not, and GM has admitted that fully - but it wasn't the absolute failure you proclaim it to be.

(Message edited by scottr on August 07, 2007)

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It didn't help that the GTO's mpg (with auto) put it on the gas guzzler list. That raised the msrp by $1,300.

Plus, the styling was a bit blah. It looks like a rounded Grand Prix or a bigger Grand Am.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5646
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think GM is a bit late on the limited edition of stuff here. I remember years ago when Chrysler started pumping out innovative (did I just say that?) limited edition cars like the Prowler. If memory serves me correctly, it sold relatively well, it garnered them some decent publicity and wasn't too much of a stretch to make. Didn't the Prowler jump from being a concept car seen at the auto shows to production practically overnight as well?

One other concern is branding this car the Camaro. Will it be compared to its legacy (the solid muscle car of the early seventies and the Smokey & the Bandit image) or will it carry it forward? Only time will tell I guess. It's not my kind of car but I do respect its styling and hope it does well. GM needs to hit some homeruns from time to time.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

One other concern is branding this car the Camaro. Will it be compared to its legacy (the solid muscle car of the early seventies and the Smokey & the Bandit image) or will it carry it forward?

Smokey & the Bandit was a Trans-Am.

They'll have the Camaro on the streets as soon as gas hits $5/gal.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I hope GM doesn't over produce the Camaro like Ford has done with the Mustang."

oh brother

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

19 posts and not a word from Supersport........

could someone make sure he's OK?

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a different note, I seen the new 2008 Cadillac CTS on I-75 this past Sunday when I was driving home from Downtown. The new model looked really sweet on the street!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush the Camaro to market?

Please, if anything GM is going to blow their wad on this one way before you can ever go to a dealer and actually buy it.

If I have this correct:
1) Original Camaro concept debuted in January 2006.
2) 2nd Concept showed up January 2007
3) This car was all over the Transformers movie.
4) Still haven't seen the actual production model
5) Car is listed as 2009 Chevy Camaro. Meaning this car is still at least an entire year away (assuming a car debuted in summer 2008 would be a 2009 model) and possibly another 1.5 years away (if it arrives, say January 2009).

That is MINIMUM 2.5 years, and more like 3 years from concept to actually being able to drive one. Meanwhile we see this stupid thing all over the place. All kinds of new takes on the concepts, in movies, blah blah blah. GM is doing their best to keep up the hype, but unfortunately after 3 years I feel a lot of people are going to be burned out on the excitement before the car even arrives.

They would have been much better off either a) debuting the production version in January 2008 to go on sale later that year, or b) showing the concept when they did, decided to build it, and just kept their mouths shut about the "upcoming, all new 2009 Camaro!" until they were a lot closer to an on sale date. In this instance, not saying anything would have been a lot better than blabbin they're going to build it 2.5 years before you could buy it.

Add to it that the Challenger will be arriving in January/Feb of 2008, plus the Mustang due for a heavy revision about the same time, and GM could easily find the hype gone, and a ton of excited, potential buyers tired of waiting and buying a Dodge or Ford instead.

And it is a shame, because I think the Camaro is the best looking one of them all, and based on reviews of the upcoming Pontiac G8 sedan (on which the Camaro is based), it will be a superb driving machine. Likely better driving and more refined than the stuff coming from Dearborn or Auburn Hills. Unfortunately it may arrive too late to really matter.

And having Camaros languish on the lot after showing so much promise and excitement would be a damn shame. A damn shame. Unforutnately GM might not have anything/anyone to blame but themselves, their terrible timing (4 years after the new Mustang re-lit the muscle car segment), and their bungled launch of the car.

Guess we'll see. Doesn't mean it will be a bad car, in fact it will probably be excellent. Unfortunately that doesn't always mean success....

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to the original poster, are you sure it wasn't the new Challenger? I have seen many spy shots of this thing running around Detroit, but have not yet seen one of the new Camaro.

I'm wondering if you saw the Challenger instead.

http://jalopnik.com/cars/chall enger/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0 7/10/spy-shots-production-dodg e-challenger-caught-in-public- again/

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also saw the Challenger referenced above by Jerome. I spied it on Monday at Telegraph/Square Lake right by my office about 4 pm. I got a pretty good glimpse of it until he blew on by me. I guess it had a Hemi®!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey stop knocking the GTO. I see a couple of them here(NYC). They are BAD ASS!

Any true muscle car lover will tell you the same.

GTO's for me and my brother are like the WOLVERINE. They may look like they can't harm you, but they will tear you a new ass if you touch it!!

<313>

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome: Oh no, this was the Camaro, definately!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never seen a GTO in NYC. Even though I would've preferred a more retro design, it's still my favorite Pontiac since they discontinued the Firebird...

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the camaro is based on the new for 07 holden commodore and will be built in north america. the new holden commodore is a great starting point for this new camaro so any bad tastes left from the gto will be erased. the new pontiac g8, our version of this new commodore is on its way now as a 2008. the camaro should start production in early 2009 and give the mustang and challenger a run.

Scottr

Post Number: 690
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx: why are you so sure? some spy shots came out today, and i could see how one could mix them up under the camo.
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/0 8/10/spy-shots-best-yet-of-200 9-dodge-challenger/

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/667588236/
Collector's Item
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/667588070/
From Transformers

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.