Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit lions 1957 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure if anybody's already done this but I'm interested in locating reprints of Det News, Times or Free Press sports pages for the 1957 Lions season. I did try the Wayne State Reuther Library website but didnt find what I was looking for. Specifically, the Lions-Colts@Briggs Stadium Oct 57 & the playoff game@Kesar in San Fran. Of course the championship game w/Browns. I also am trying to locate home game day programs sold at the stadium. I found some but they were away games. Appreciate any ideas or suggestions you guys have. Go Lions!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4607
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can find those on Microfiche at the main library Dit...

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask a librarian, they can get you anything!

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask a librarian, they can get you anything!

How about a kilo of blow and several underaged, Thai hookers?

If the librarian can't find me that, I'll settle for a periodical about ice fishing.

:-)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the main branch of the Detroit Public Library. Once you go through the main entrance you take the first right into the microfilm room and ask for Carmen or Glen.

Ditman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for feedback guys. To rickinatlanta, i'm in Dallas.Detroit transplant since 06/76. Cooley-Jan 61 grad. Little difficult to get back to in person but i'll try calling the microfilm room. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps there should be a celebration of 50 years since the Lions amounted to anything.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 970
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little known Fact: The riots of '67 were actually a passionate rebellion marking the 10 year anniversary since the Lions amounted to anything.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 320
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try EBAY for programs.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditman,

Didn't realize where you live but simply go to your local library and ask them to do an "Inter-Library Loan" with the DPL. The DPL will then send your library up to four reels of microfilm ( 4 reels usually covers two months of daily newspapers, I'd suggest the News) for a nominal postage fee( $2 - $3 ) and a $5 check made out to The Detroit Library Comission. You specify the start date or month and you'll be right where you want. Most microfilm machines also have copy capability so you can copy articles you want.
I've been doing this for three years now researching my Dad's 1930's boxing career and have just completed four years and 1,400 daily issues of the News from that time.

Good Luck

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You may also ask your local librarian to check to see if any of the university libraries in your area or the state historical society happen to have any of the Detroit newspapers on microfilm.

You might be surprised! When I was visiting my parents in Tucson a few years back, I spent a day at the Arizona State U Library doing research; in addition to the Tucson and Phoenix newspapers, I also found such newspapers as New Orleans, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and others. It was an unexpected gold mine for me.

Given that Texas has long attracted Michiganders (or Michiganians, if you prefer), there may be a local source for one or more of the Detroit newspapers on microfilm.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That may be true about more recent editions of an out of town newspaper but most potential microfilm sites don't store more than about the past ten years or so. HOWEVER, it's sure worth a shot.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was 7 years old in 1957 and a die hard Lions fan.(if you can be one at age 7) I remember going to that game with my dad and our next door neighbor, Al Kaline.(We had moved to Franklin Village in '55 and Kaline moved in the next year) How cool could it be for a seven year old watching my favorite football team sitting next to my favorite baseball player. I remember Tobin Rote leading the Lions to the NFL Championship.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2416
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RickinAtlanta: Yes, definitely still worth asking...my research focus is the mid-late 1930s and early 1940s. A good academic collection will often have the complete microfilm run of the newspapers they choose to carry. I've had terrific luck like this in several university settings.

Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 7:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem I've run into is that none of the universities nearby have the Detroit papers. Those out of state won't do an InterLibrary loan since they have only one copy of each microfilm reel. Getting the film from the DPL usually is a 4 week process which is why it's taken me exactly three years to look at 1,400 days of The Detroit News.

Ditman

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the helpful & useful suggestions. Special shoutout to rickinatlanta. To Sharms, I too went to the 57 champ game. Dad was a season tkt holder(Sec 34 Row D seats 1&2). Doesnt it strike us funny that I can remember that dtail about the seats but couldnt tell you what I had for lunch yesterday. I didnt find out tl the morning of the game that dad was taking me. In my den I have a framed 8x10 photo the 57 team. God I miss Tiger Stadium. Again, much thanks to all of you for helping & I will keep you posted on my success.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1378
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, hung out with a guy using a walker that played for the Lions back then in the mid 1950s at a tailgate at the Notre Dame v. USC game back in 2005. Too bad that I can't remember his name.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.