Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Metro Detroit Islands « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 515
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of the water around here from large lakes and rivers to small lakes and rivers there are countless islands in metro Detroit. There are a lot of manmade islands as well in all kinds of wierd shapes lined with canals. Anyone have some cool stories, maps or pictures of metro Detroit islands?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The island in Orchard Lake was the supposed home of Chief Pontiac.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Apple Island.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother-in-law has a house on Fawn Island in the St. Clair River (its actually on the Ontario side but still it seems interesting to me) across from Marine City.

I never even knew the island existed until about 10 years ago. There are no roads, just an interior canal and about 100 homes or so on the island. I don't know if there were ever any actual deer on the island but I guess it is just north of "Stag Island" and slightly smaller. The oldest homes on the island look like they were built in about the 1940s or so and I guess there were some homes (they were basically fishing/summer cottages) older but they have since been demolished in order to build newer, larger homes.

I am not sure if the island is man made (from the dredging of the shipping channel perhaps) or a naturally occurring island, but it seems just a bit too large to be entirely man made.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ones that intrigue me the most are the St. Clair Flats-all those islands near Harsens Island with only 1 or 2 houses on them.I hear the lease is about up on a lot of them so the ownership is going back to the government. Ive seen the area from an airplane and it was the wierdest thing. Little spots of land sticking out with a house on it, completely surrounded by the water.
Theres also a residential island in Lake Orion that used to be an amusement park.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 597
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Algonac you can take a car ferry to Walpole Island, which is a native Canadian land, or you can go on foot to Russell Island, a residential area in which motor vehicles are not permitted.

Walpole is connected to mainland Ontario by a swing bridge.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9661
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannaroo, I have a friend who has a great cottage on Fawn island as well. What a neat little place (pretty expensive though)to go boating and party.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Walpole Island, which is a native Canadian land,"

Thats where most of the Native Americans from Michigan were driven to by the US military.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait until Manny gets his bridge built to Harsens Island...

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 599
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the DEQ just reject the Harsens Island bridge proposal? I thought I read that somewhere.

Ahartz
Username: Ahartz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEQ did turn down the Harsens island bridge proposal. impacts to Sturgeon habitat and riparian land ownership issues were some of the hurdles that could not be overcome....YET...andy

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That's Apple Island."

Pretty clever our founders where. Apple island is in ORCHARD lake.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out this page to see many of the islands found on the Detroit and St. Clair Rivers.

http://www.aerialpics.com/H/gr eatlakesshoreline.html

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flybydon, thanks for the link! I can pick out my brother-in-law's place on Fawn Island.

That freighter cottage on South Bass Island is definitely pretty unique.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go fishing with my grandpa up by Strawberry Island in Lake St Clair every summer as a teenager. Always wanted to own a house on one of those islands back there.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I grew up by Orchard lake and I was always told that the name is "Snow apple Island" and is "Suppose" to be where Chief Pontiac is buried. Not where he lived. Of course the indians did not disclose where he was ever buried for sure.

Theres also a sunken island on the Halstead side of Pleasant lake.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandpa owns an estate on Grosse Ile. He no longer lives there tho, but my uncle and I take care of it. Its a beautiful and peaceful place to visit and/or live. Lots of custom homes and a pretty neat mini downtown. Pretty expensive to live there and the county bridge is being rebuilt so you have to pay a 3 dollar toll to use the toll bridge.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive never heard of the sunken island in Pleasant lake but it sounds cool.
I read somewhere that theres an accidently island in Lake Sherwood (Commerce Twp.).Its a man-made lake and somehow, during construction,an island got formed unintentionally.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor,
My family has one of the small islands near Strawberry on the opposite side of the Sni. It was great having that as a kid growing up and still is a great place to go.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found this online today about fires in the flats that burn every spring and fall. I have seen the smoke plumes before bud didnt know the history.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/ ~ksands/burns.html

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.