Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Dick the Bruiser & Alex Karras « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to those two love birds. I remember they had a fight. I think Dick was barred from Michigan and a few other states, as well as Hell.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3648
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A staged "fight." Were you taken in too?

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard;
I remember a debate in the Lindell A. C. and the favored opinion was that Dick trashed Alex, but maybe they were just shills promoting the rumor.
If nothing else, it made a great story.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1364
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alas, Dick the Bruiser died in 1991. Alex Karras still lives, although his most famous non-football moment was several years ago when he knocked down the horse in Blazing Saddles.

I agree with Tom. Word at the time was that Dick cleaned Alex' clock that fateful night. But who knows for sure? I still remember the Bruiser's cage match with The Shiek that I saw at the Olympia in 1967 or 1968.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5651
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to think I always thought Alex Karras' most famous role was that of being Webster's dad on the TV show.

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Bruiser/Karras fight happen at the old Lindell AC? We've all heard stories, but the one that I believe had a planned meeting between the two that was supposed get into some pushing and shoving. Things got a little out of hand and cops were called and arrests were made. This was all to promote a Karras/Bruiser wrestling match either at Olympia or Cobo. I think this happened during Karras' NFL suspension.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was during his suspension. There was always a question of whether it really got out of hand. I guess it might also depend if you thought he was a good actor or not too.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Alex Karras still lives, although his most famous non-football moment was several years ago when he knocked down the horse in Blazing Saddles.

"several years ago," Rip Van Winkle? Try 34 years ago....

(Message edited by detroitrulez on August 08, 2007)

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The match btwn Bruiser & Karras was April 27, 1963 at the Olympia. I went to that match as well as several other Bruiser matches. I remember him losing to Bobo Brazil & saw him at Cobo Arena against Fritz Von Erich(a legendary but tragic wrestling family in Dallas). I aslo remember seeing Bruiser vs the Sheik at Olympia. They started fighting on the floor and both were counted out. The crowd really felt cheated. Of course this was decades bfore the big pay-per-views. Bruiser was a very charismatic character who I think kept the same personality outside the ring but that's just my opinion.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3654
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bruiser too was an ex-football player. He was another Uecker-type with a year or two as a lineman with the Packers.

Oilcan_harry
Username: Oilcan_harry

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruiser lived many years in Indy, on the north side. I never got to meet him but friends who did said he was super nice, especially to kids. He was always doing charity work for kids, the sick, and the poor. My friend said there wasn't a nicer guy. My friend did a $20 repair on Bruiser's car and he gave him a $100 and 8 tickets to his next match. Told him to bring some kids.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Bruiser's partner, "Crusher" Lisowski. They looked like brothers & were a successful tag team late in Bruiser's career. Bruiser was inducted into Pro Wrestling Hall Of Fame Class of 2005. (In case anyone cares, the hall & museum is in Schenectady, NY. He was only 62 when he died while weight-lifting at his home.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5660
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to the guy that did the Dick the Bruiser imitations on WRIF?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 604
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Baier retired from radio and is living up north and working in the special education field, last I heard (about four years ago).

I don't know why he retired but two of his most famous impersonations were Bruiser and Mayor Young, and when they both died I think it reduced the comedic effect of imitating them.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was "Bruisers" partner "Crusher Cortez?"

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, that is ricky cortez who still lives in garden city.

when he worked for the bruiser, he had to be billed as "killer" cortez because there was only one crusher in that promotion.... reggie "crusher" lisowski.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is from the detroit free press dated wednesday, april 24, 1963.....

lands in jail after bar brawl

bruiser loses 'tag match' with 8 police

dick the bruiser, that scoundrel of the wrestling world, the villain hated by all the little old ladies, tended his bruises and wounds tuesday.

bruiser made a mistake.

he carried his meanness -- maybe it isn't an act? -- into jimmy butsicaris' celebrated lindell bar monday night.

and when he emerged, it was with eight policemen hanging on, the bruiser subdued and manacled at his wrists and ankles.

bruiser, cut five stitches worth under the left eye, spent the night in the pokey.

and woe, that's not all. he faces a jury trial in recorder's court next monday on a charge of assault. one of the policemen suffered a fractured wrist.

it was, apparently, no mere publicity stunt. the bruiser wrestles alex karras at the olympia stadium saturday night, and he had come to the lindell, at cass and bagley, to say a few words to karras.

karras, an all-pro lion tackle suspended by the national football league last week, is becoming a part-owner of the lindell. in the meantime, he works there as a bartender.

anyway, enter the bruiser. karras is seated with friends in a booth. butsicaris, who is maybe 5-6, 150 pounds, is tending bar.

according to police, the bruiser (nee richard afflis) directed abusive language at butsicaris and karras. butsicaris refused to serve him.

bruiser continued his insults, police said, and karras started to get up. butsicaris urged karras to leave to avoid becoming involved in an incident.

butsicaris then told an uncle, charles kelly, to call police.

"then he grabbed me by the shirt front and swung on me," butscicaris said. "i ducked and he swung again. this time he caught me on the chin with an elbow."

karras returned to the bar, and with several customers moved to break up the fight. and then, two first precinct patrolmen, james p. carolan and his partner, andrew f. meholic, came in and tried to seize the bruiser.

bruiser, whose wild mat antics have made him wrestling biggest attraction in detroit, threw both patrolmen across the room.

meholic suffered a fractured wrist and carolan a torn ligament in the right elbow.

two more patrolmen arrived and were unable to subdue the bruiser. two more came. then two more, making eight in all.

finally, they put the bruiser on the floor, handcuffed his hands behind him and manacled his ankles.

once outside, the bruiser told the policemen: "i don't want to fight you guys".

in the brawl, a tv set and a vending machine were wrecked. butsicaris said he would not press charges.

the bruiser had not been a patron at the lindell for about a year. he was, at one time, a regular patron, but had argued with karras about pro football.

while being treated at receiving hospital, the bruiser explained why he had returned to the lindell.

"some people sent me word while i was in texas that karras had called me a third-rate football player," the bruiser said.

afflis, who played in the offensive line for the green bay packers from 1950-54, apparently referred to a story about karras' new wrestling career which appeared in sunday's free press.

in it, karras did not call bruiser a 'third-rate' player.

but, in truth, bruiser never was much...not on the standards of karras, ranked as perhaps the greatest lineman in football.

"the bruiser was a journeyman ball player," say lion coaches who remember afflis from his days at green bay.

the bruiser, after appearing in court tuesday, flew to indianapolis. he will return to detroit saturday morning.

they say tickets are rally moving fast at olympia.

story by george puscus.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a upi article dated thursday, april 25, 1963.....

how to build box office

bruiser jailed after barroom brawl few days before bout with karras

detroit(upi)---dick the bruiser, a villian-type professional wrestler who likes to mix it up in and out of the ring, was charged yesterday with assault and battery for carrying things too far in an out-of-the-ring bout with alex karras and eight detroit policemen.

the bruiser, alias richard afflis, went into the lindell bar early tuesday and accosted karras. last week karras was suspended from the national football league. he was scheduled to meet the bruiser in a wrestling match saturday night. karras, tavern co-owner jimmy butsicaris and five patrons were engaged in the liveliest of tag matches.

it finally took eight policemen to subdue the bruiser and carry him away, manacled at his wrists and ankles.

in the process, one policeman suffered a fractured wrist and the bruiser received a cut under his eye which took five stitches to close.

both bruiser and karras said following the melee that it was not a publicity stunt to boost ticket sales for their saturday night match.

police said the bruiser entered the bar and started using abusive language toward butsicaris and karras. butsicaris refused to serve him.

butsicaris said he told someone to call the police and the bruiser then grabbed him by the shirt front and took a swing at him.

then everyone got into the act.

the warrant against the bruiser, alias afflis, was signed by patrolman andrew meholic of the first precinct, who got the broken hand trying to stop the battle.

the bruiser was freed on bond pending action monday.

the bruiser said following the fight that he heard karras had called him a 'third-rate' football player.

the bruiser had played in the offensive line for the green bay packers from 1950 to 1954.

(Message edited by goirish1966 on August 08, 2007)

Goirish1966

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is from the detroit news dated monday, april 29, 1963.....

press box
by doc greene

there was a moment during the hippodrome of wrestling at olympia the other evening when that artist of villainy, dick (the bruiser) afflis, entwined the throat of alex karras in the ring ropes.

routine theatrics transpired with the bruiser gloating and karras writhing in feigned agony.

"embarrassing, isn't it?" remarked a fellow seated nearby.

it shouldn't have been. this was normal staging for the spectacle of wrestling and yet the man's point was well taken.

the improbable buildup to this piece of entertainment - the original cry of gambling, the drawn out investigation by the national football league, the suspension of the burly karras, the brawl last week in the saloon in which he is interested - all of it had combined to, albeit, illogically, cause a spectator to expect something else.

as you have very probably heard, this engagement came off in rather puzzling fashion. there was little or no dramatic nonsense heralding these two into the ring, which seemed a little surprising. no spotlights. no comments over the loudspeaker.

the only bit of fluff that was tailored specifically for the occasion was provided by the bruiser midway in the brief doings when he kneeled down in the position of a football lineman and gestured defiantly to karras to joust with him.

karras deigned this one.

the disappointing crowd - estimates ranged from 6,500 to 10,000 depending on who was doing the guessing - acted on cue. they cheered each aggressive notion of the favored alex and jeered the bruiser as usual.

and suddenly - 11 minutes and 21 seconds later - it was over.

the villain was the winner. the performers quickly and quietly departed. spectators blinked and asked one another, "maybe it's the best of three falls?" even as the announcer was introducing the next stanza of entertainment.

"embarrassing" it certainly was to karras.

the silence was deafening

the big tackle had more reporters prowling his dressing room before and after the bout than perhaps ever showed at a wrestling match. there was even visitors from indianapolis. the bruiser has a hometown, too. as a matter of incidental intelligence, he also owns a saloon, so there you are.

a trouble was that no one knew what to ask karras. how do you feel? good luck? what's new? beyond 'hello' there wasn't much to offer.

afterward, there was 'do you think you'll wrestle again?'

"i don't know, " he said. "the travel is rough. i've got an offer of a public relations job that would keep me in town. i don't know".

one gentleman, in a try for whimsy, suggested alex had been bilked.

"that's the way my life's been running lately," answered karras.

goes home well heeled

an emissary from promoter john doyle arrived and passed alex his check. as he folded it into his pocket, he remarked, "well, that's what i came for anyway."

doyle ascribed the disappointing crowd to the fact that"everyone thought it was a sellout".

perhaps, but doyle had expected capacity.

no claim is made here to authority about wrestling scripts, but it would seem that if a rematch were in the planning, karras would have been declared the winner.

as a loser, his value has diminished.

the brevity of the performance puzzled but may be explained in a statement by the bruiser later hwen asked if he thought karras might succeed at this profession.

"probably," said dick generously, "he knows the moves. he ought to be in better shape though."

without any genuine basis at all, i suspect that alex very probably will not journey this way again.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Dick the Bruiser and the Crusher vs the Sheik and Pampero Firpo in a caged tag team match. At Olympia I think. Don't remember who else fought on the card. Know the crowd was going wild though.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5700
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh...Pampero Firpo- all that hair.

And weren't most of their matches at Cobo?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 761
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the "Air Conditioned" Cobo Arena. :-)

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite was "the mighty igor" a former Mr. Michigan I believe.

My Uncle was a cop and I have it on very good authority that Dick the Bruiser picked him up with one hand.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5070
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.... and then there was "Leapin Larry Shane"... (sp?)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall that "Pretty Boy Bobby Heenan" had a connection with Dick the Bruiser for awhile.
I also remember a black wrestler I liked, Sailor R Thomas.

(Message edited by Ragtoplover59 on August 12, 2007)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haystack Calhoun, Cowboy Bob Ellis, Bobo Brazil and of course Vern Gange...Oldies of that era. As wrestling was entertainment then, it's just adjusting to media now. Big factor, beyond "network" TV, there are SO MANY choices with modern technology....the heroes of the eras, the pyrotechnics, PPV, good vs. evil, wrestling boot camp for newcomers....and on and on. I don't follow it at all now, but did when my parents did in the 50's with three channels.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrestleprints.com has published a book called "THIS SATURDAY NIGHT! Detroit Wrestling 1965 to 80." They were too cheap to send me a review copy, but it looks like a fun book.
http://www.wrestleprints.com/c atalog/product_info.php?cPath= 35&products_id=5908&osCsid=112 f0e64d01bcf792c5127f1e5767b21

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw a car today with a dealer sticker that said "Alex Karras" from somewhere in Florida. Same Alex Karras??

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was about 6 years old, our family lived across the street from John Doyle who was the Detroit wrestling promoter. Just abut weekly, I would notice a big car pull up and four really big guys would get out. One day Doyle called me over and I met them. Dick the Bruiser, Cowboy Bob Ellis and Verne Gagne who wrestled and sold vitamins on the Windsor TV show. "Protein Power Pack" was responsible for Gagne's success.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Saw a car today with a dealer sticker that said "Alex Karras" from somewhere in Florida. Same Alex Karras??"

I think you are referring to a Lincoln-Mercury dealership under the name of Alex Karras. I know that the oldest son of Alex and Joan is also named Alex. During his years with the Lions, Alex did not particularly care for Bill Ford. However, he disliked Russ Thomas even more. Later, on Monday Night Football Karras liked to mention if a certain player drove a Cadillac, which considering Ford was a sponsor did not go over very well. Since leaving Detroit from what I know Alex has been based in California. I am curious about the dealership thing as well.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistok:

his ring name was spelled "chene"; actual name was beauchene. he died in a car crash on 10-2-64; is buried in the old section of mt. olivet.

sharms:

on which street/block did you live? thanks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.