Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit microbrews « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mean Stroh's or any of the great Michigan breweries like Bell's, Celis, Founders etc. I am not talking about any of the fine microbreweries around today.

My grandfather told me that in the 60's there was a German section along Gratiot where several brewers made beer. Does anyone know anything about this? Were they Pilsners or more exciting German styles such as Dopplebocks.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 954
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should have gone to the Michigan brewersguild beerfest in ypsi couple weeks ago about 250 different michigan microbrews

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some good local breweries out there. In Detroit and the Burbs. Depends on your type of beer.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said, my interest isn't about the many fine craft beers and microbrews that are being made today. Mind you, I am no Rex Halfpenny but I have even made a few batches myself.

I wanted to know about a German section along Gratiot in the 60's where several brewers made beer. Any other areas where similar beers were made would also be interesting.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jazzstage, I don’t know if this book answers your questions or not, but I suggest starting with Peter H. Blum’s “Brewed in Detroit.” You can order it directly through the second link.

http://www.beerfestivals.org/r eviews/reviews/brewed_in_detro it.html
http://wsupress.wayne.edu/glb/ mihistory/blumbd.htm

Also, don't be afraid to contact Rex with your questions. If he doesn't know the answers, then I'm sure he knows someone who does.

(Message edited by awfavre on August 08, 2007)

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.oldbru.com/

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that in Germany you can only find local beers at the grocery store. Perhaps when you are in Bayern you can find a big-name beer from Munchen, but otherwise all the beer is local. Presently I am enjoying some Franken bier.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Altas count?

Foodcity
Username: Foodcity

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's Germans settled in the area in what is now Greektown over to Eastern Market. Hence, the noticable presence of commercial breweries around Gratiot.

If you want to learn more about Detroit's Germans, check out a Preservation Wayne Eastern Market Tour!

Peter Blum's book is a must-own for brewery history fans. It is the definitive work on Detroit's brewery history.

According to Peter, the only brewers off Gratiot in the 1960s were macrobrewers Stroh and Goebel.

If you include the Eastern Market area, then maybe Jazzstage's grandfather was thinking of E&B (Ekhardt and Becker). They were acquired in 1962 by Detroit's Pfeiffer Brewery.

Altes (not Atlas) was off of Mack and closed operations in 1973.

Pfeiffer was also off of Mack on Bellevue and stopped brewing there in 1966.

All of the above-mentioned German breweries are known to have produced tasty bock beer in addition to their Pilsen style lagers. Stroh's made their bock beer until at least 1982.

There were no microbreweries (by today's definition) in Detroit between 1933 and 1992.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 76
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make my own. Great way to go once you know how.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just ordered the book from Amazon. Thanks for the tip. I need to get back into brewing. Unclefrank, feel to share any really good extract that you may have. This site has some damn interesting people here!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.